Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 10:57 AM

30 posts, read 59,063 times

Advertisements

As I posted on the main sticky, we are seriously looking at Birmingham as my teen has several of her top schools in/around Birmingham and up through TN. We're looking to move during her high school years and then - ultimately - retire. We're looking for a safe area, good schools (although private/parochial is possible), minimum 3BR/2Bath house at least 2500 sq ft preferably with a nice lot/trees, a nearby good library, and within a reasonable commute to the airport (without airport noise). Top price is 850k but I'd prefer to be below this.

Based on suggestions from the main sticky and as I surf various realtor sites, I've found some attractive homes in Vestavia Hills and Mountain Brook as their schools look top notch. I have also liked the character of a few homes on S. Cliff but the school situation looks less great.

I'm interested to hear about the neighborhood/town/city vibe of each of these areas. Are they friendly? Are they well-managed? How would you describe their character/vibe?

I'm currently in a New England town that fancies itself as "kind," "open," and "inclusive' but is, at heart, poorly managed by a tight-knit clique of folks that landed in the area about 20 years ago, love to spend tax dollars with little to no oversight, and fight back viciously against any and all criticism (including targeting critics' kids in schools forcing them to leave and move - not my situation but the recent experience of an outgoing official for having the temerity to suggest that 7% annual school increases might need rethinking when facing tens of millions in deficits going forward). Thus, I know exactly what kind of area I'd like to avoid in the future.

To put it succinctly - I'm looking for insight into which (if any or all) of these communities is run with some basic transparency, reasonably fiscally responsible, reasonably efficient service delivery, and don't "cancel"/attack anyone for even asking a basic question about town government. Also, which (if any/all) would be most likely to describe themselves as being "like Mayberry" but in real life is probably the furthest away from actually "being nice" but loves to "believe they're nice." Asking for a friend. lol

I see plenty of attractive houses in/around these areas and Birmingham. I'm really interested in the "feel" and "vibe" of an area to determine if it's a good cultural fit. I'm looking for sane, reasonably run communities with sane, reasonable people who actually are "kind" and don't just use it as a hashtag to virtue signal. Also, if one or more of these areas is known for having super nice (and/or) mean kids that would be helpful to know. I'm open to other areas to investigate further BTW.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 11:02 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingoutofpa View Post
As I posted on the main sticky, we are seriously looking at Birmingham as my teen has several of her top schools in/around Birmingham and up through TN. We're looking to move during her high school years and then - ultimately - retire. We're looking for a safe area, good schools (although private/parochial is possible), minimum 3BR/2Bath house at least 2500 sq ft preferably with a nice lot/trees, a nearby good library, and within a reasonable commute to the airport (without airport noise). Top price is 850k but I'd prefer to be below this.

Based on suggestions from the main sticky and as I surf various realtor sites, I've found some attractive homes in Vestavia Hills and Mountain Brook as their schools look top notch. I have also liked the character of a few homes on S. Cliff but the school situation looks less great.

I'm interested to hear about the neighborhood/town/city vibe of each of these areas. Are they friendly? Are they well-managed? How would you describe their character/vibe?

I'm currently in a New England town that fancies itself as "kind," "open," and "inclusive' but is, at heart, poorly managed by a tight-knit clique of folks that landed in the area about 20 years ago, love to spend tax dollars with little to no oversight, and fight back viciously against any and all criticism (including targeting critics' kids in schools forcing them to leave and move - not my situation but the recent experience of an outgoing official for having the temerity to suggest that 7% annual school increases might need rethinking when facing tens of millions in deficits going forward). Thus, I know exactly what kind of area I'd like to avoid in the future.

To put it succinctly - I'm looking for insight into which (if any or all) of these communities is run with some basic transparency, reasonably fiscally responsible, reasonably efficient service delivery, and don't "cancel"/attack anyone for even asking a basic question about town government. Also, which (if any/all) would be most likely to describe themselves as being "like Mayberry" but in real life is probably the furthest away from actually "being nice" but loves to "believe they're nice." Asking for a friend. lol

I see plenty of attractive houses in/around these areas and Birmingham. I'm really interested in the "feel" and "vibe" of an area to determine if it's a good cultural fit. I'm looking for sane, reasonably run communities with sane, reasonable people who actually are "kind" and don't just use it as a hashtag to virtue signal. Also, if one or more of these areas is known for having super nice (and/or) mean kids that would be helpful to know. I'm open to other areas to investigate further BTW.

Truthfully, I think Homewood would be your best bet. Both Mountain Brook and Vestavia are well-run cities, but I think Homewood will have decidedly less drama. As someone who put my kids through the MB school systems, your kids will get a fantastic education, but it will be decidedly non-diverse. Homewood manages to accomplish both at the same time, while providing more of a community feel.

As far as the 'sane' and 'virtue signal' issues you discuss, the subtext seems to be that of finding a group of people with whom you can connect. Again, I think Homewood fits that description a lot better than Mountain Brook. Don't get me wrong. We liked Mountain Brook a lot, made plenty of friends in that community, our kids fit in well, et al. But especially to someone coming from outside the city, there are barriers to entry. I wouldn't go so far as to call it clique mentality, but rather that most of the folks in Mountain Brook are legacy residents whose family is several generations in. Because of this insularity, they already have established social circles.

If you do opt for Mountain Brook, you'd want to choose neighborhoods that are centered around the Brookwood Forest and Cherokee Bend areas. Those are more populated by regular folks than the old Mountain Brook and Crestline areas. Someone should really perform a sociological study on Mountain Brook. They call themselves the Tiny Kingdom without a shred of irony. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Meanwhile, elsewhere, the usual principles apply for setting down roots.

I think you should really drive around town and see what neighborhoods pass the sniff test, so to speak.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 01-16-2021 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-16-2021, 11:22 AM

30 posts, read 59,063 times
Super interesting and helpful. Thank you! From afar, Mountain Brook strikes me as a southern version of Greenwich, CT. Your take on the kids is also helpful - I am concerned about bringing in a kid who doesn't have an established social circle in the area. Always difficult. I will look further into Homewood. Thanks again for the suggestion and insights.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Super interesting and helpful. Thank you! From afar, Mountain Brook strikes me as a southern version of Greenwich, CT. Your take on the kids is also helpful - I am concerned about bringing in a kid who doesn't have an established social circle in the area. Always difficult. I will look further into Homewood. Thanks again for the suggestion and insights.
You're welcome.

If private schools are your thing, then the Forest Park section of Birmingham would be a great choice as well. Altamont is a terrific private school. I don't know what their admission picture is like, so I'd suggest getting that squared away before actually choosing a home in that part of town.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:32 PM

666 posts, read 515,993 times
Homewood. If you want more suburb, yet still in Vestavia, might look at Liberty Park. It's about the same distance to the airport, just the other way up 459 instead of through downtown. $850k will get you a lot more house in Vestavia as opposed to Homewood, while maintaining a "premium suburb" status.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:11 AM

66 posts, read 79,268 times
@gettingoutofpa......only

my observations/opinions....only to you as a possible transplant. My experience is my experience, and I'm interested in a debate with locals on the net, they too have opinions.

Me? I'm a native of Homewood. I have lived all over this nation unlike many residents of Birmingham who have never ever lived outside the state or region, thus we have dramatically different points of view and experiences.

I attended a well-known New England (MA) private prep school, undergrad in Iowa and Birmingham-Southern, the grad school also in AL. We still own property and have interests all over AL and other parts of the South. I have associates who all live well outside Birmingham proper.

First, if you're looking to exit PA to the South, I would never limit my discovery places such as Birmingham for a variety of good reasons. Education and culture being chief among them. Second, I would never spend 800k on any house in and around Birmingham, AL....maybe two houses, but not one. The air gets pretty thin at that altitude.

For the record, I've lived in Vestavia Hills, Indian Springs (Shelby County to the south of Birmingham/Jefferson County). Look into areas around Indian Springs and northern Shelby County.

Mountain Brook is about as parochial as a rich suburb can get, and yes it's Greenwich and Darien-like for sure, and the students/high schools are full of the small snobs I attended prep school with (think: Choate, Exeter and my fav Deerfield). Yes, it's a well run city that pats itself on its back at every turn. It is the "walking-talking" definition of social/academic/cultural "bifurcation".

I'll continue, a bit later- got to take a call !

Last edited by AttyShekelman; 01-17-2021 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-17-2021, 09:01 AM

842 posts, read 825,932 times
I really like the Homewood recommendation; however, what do y'all think about the housing sizes? The homes are expensive and many are pretty small. Such a great community, though. Just over Red Mountain from downtown Birmingham, nice walkable neighborhoods, etc. My wife and I would probably consider retiring there if we could afford the housing. LOL.

I'm leaning Vestavia as the best recommendation. There will likely be more housing stock in the size range requested. More likely to find a larger, wooded lot. And still close-in with a beautiful setting and plenty of amenities, including good schools. Not too many years ago, Vestavia built this really nice public library: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4318...7i13312!8i6656

I have never lived in Vestavia and am not familiar with how cliquish it may be. My hunch is not nearly as cliquish/insular as Mountain Brook, since many people likely have moved into it from other places.

I agree also that, if you can pay for private schools, Forest Park is an outstanding neighborhood inside the city of Birmingham. In some parts, you can walk to trendy Avondale for restaurants. Crestwood is also nice.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:17 AM

@getingoutofPA: again, only

My encouragement is to discover other cities and towns in the South if you're making a big move.

Examine towns and suburbs outside of Nashville, TN, or Huntsville/Madison AL. I'm not a fan of Jacksonville FL but for 800k you could live on the water say, in Ponte Vedra Beach. 800k is Naples FL kind of money frankly - with 50 times better weather.

Again, Mountain Brook is nice but I would avoid it in favour of say Vestavia Hills or 16 miles south in Indian Springs.

Bottom line, given the geographic and cultural "competition" all over the south, I would avoid Birmingham, AL in toto now in 2021 and beyond. Don't box yourself in and limit your discovery. I also would never "retire" there given the plethora of other choices, but everything is a tradeoff.

I'm not a transplant. I know Birmingham AL very very well. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2021, 09:22 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Mountain guarantees old money and all the drama that comes with it. Look at traffic patterns. Your realtor taking you to showing between rush hour may not give you the full picture.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
As I posted on the main sticky, we are seriously looking at Birmingham as my teen has several of her top schools in/around Birmingham and up through TN. We're looking to move during her high school years and then - ultimately - retire. I'm a bit confused here! how does a TEEN in HIGH SCHOOL have "several of her TOP schools in/around Birmingham" ??? no teen I know picks her schools notwithstanding being recruited for sport or academic scholarships from PRIVATE institutions.

What schools? Where are you considering "up through TN"? WHY Alabama?, Why TN? Why move "during" her high school years when continuity and stability is far move cademically important? and you want to MOVE cities during this important stretch of time?? Again, I'm confused...what's the motivation? family? health? job?

To put it succinctly - I'm looking for insight into which (if any or all) of these communities is run with some basic transparency, reasonably fiscally responsible, reasonably efficient service delivery, and don't "cancel"/attack anyone for even asking a basic question about town government

Some of these small cities/suburbs in the Birmingham area are well run, but keep in mind Birmingham (the city), Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, Homewood etc are located in JEFFERSON COUNTY which as you maybe aware, filed one of the LARGEST BANKRUPTCY FILINGS in recent history. Not so with Shelby County to the south

]

Suggestions? keep looking at all other city/town options in the South, et al to "retire", don't wear at any point, especially these days....Nashville, Cookeville, Huntsville, Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville, Jacksonville/PVB, Tampa Bay, Naples, Hilton Head area, Asheville etc etc

Moving from far-away PA is a huge move! take your time, pick wisely. If I were moving from PA, Birmingham, AL would not be close to my first choice for family and/or retirement. There is meaningful competition out there.....and not just in the South ! there are options in the SW as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area