Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2021, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 976 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm hoping someone could help me pinpoint what areas to look for a new home in. I currently live in Calhoun County, so I'm not that far from Birmingham. My husband may take a job in Hoover by hwy 280. We have three children: 5, 2 and one on the way. We homeschool so an area that has a great homeschool community would be wonderful. We are looking for a safe area, within 20 mins or so of my husband's new job. We would like a community that offers a lot of activities like swim lessons, soccer, T-ball, horse back riding, rock climbing for kids and a library with a lot of kid events or activities. I would love a city that has a cute downtown area with boutiques and family owned resturants. We live in an area where everyone is so friendly and welcoming so we're hoping to find a community with a similar feel. We are Christians and attend church twice a week so finding a church is top priority for us. We don't have a huge budget for a house and would like to keep it under 250k. We really need an area that is safe and family friendly. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 04:07 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,229,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamamom321 View Post
I would love a city that has a cute downtown area with boutiques and family owned resturants.
Honestly, you're only going to find this in Birmingham, Homewood and Mountain Brook. Some other suburbs are starting to create better downtown experiences (Trussville, for instance), but the rest of your post, particularly the housing cost, sounds like suburban 280 / unincorporated Shelby County (as far down as Chelsea).

Old 12-01-2021, 04:38 PM

1,017 posts, read 638,185 times
Helena has a cute downtown. So do Calera and Columbiana I guess, but they are too far out for a 20min commute.

Old 12-18-2021, 07:39 AM

225 posts, read 178,213 times
If, I say "if" that kind of community exists, it would have to be in Shelby County (north Shelby) and certainly not in or around the City of Birmingham (proper), which for the most part is to be avoided. I would explore around Indian Springs to Helena maybe, but I would think Chelsea might be too far and definitely Montevallo too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area