Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 01:04 PM

87 posts, read 57,830 times

Advertisements

Looks like the merger is happening for sure as of today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 01:27 PM

913 posts, read 840,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BammaBoy17 View Post
Looks like the merger is happening for sure as of today.

Yeah, I think it's inevitable now! Gonna be great for football! I just hope they keep the USFL rules and name. They've been throwing around the acronym NSFL (National Spring Football League), and I'm even open to that, but hopefully it will stay USFL. Definitely need to drop the XFL name. Others may disagree, but hey, I'm biased! Lol!

Old 09-28-2023, 02:04 PM

13,027 posts, read 9,555,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BammaBoy17 View Post
Just read where the USFL and XFL are in talks to merge together for next year. Hope Bham still in that number if that happens
Wasn't Birmingham one of the best, if not the best, team in the USFL as far as attendance, game day experience, etc., were concerned? Shouldn't have any trouble holding on to the team.

Old 09-28-2023, 03:13 PM

1,020 posts, read 645,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Yeah, I think it's inevitable now! Gonna be great for football! I just hope they keep the USFL rules and name. They've been throwing around the acronym NSFL (National Spring Football League), and I'm even open to that, but hopefully it will stay USFL. Definitely need to drop the XFL name. Others may disagree, but hey, I'm biased! Lol!
I'm more partial to USFL too. If they really are trying to partner with the NFL as a feeder league then I understand the desire to rebrand to a complimentary name like NSFL, but still sad to see the old name go. Final back to back USFL Champs forever I guess.

Old 09-28-2023, 03:24 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,243,054 times
I think "UFL" would be best, but apparently someone already owns the rights to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Wasn't Birmingham one of the best, if not the best, team in the USFL as far as attendance, game day experience, etc., were concerned? Shouldn't have any trouble holding on to the team.
Yes, the entire league was actually based in Birmingham the first season, then last season spread out to a handful of hubs (but Birmingham retained the HQ designation). The Stallions won the league both years. Agreed that Birmingham does not have any reason to worry about losing their team.

Old 09-28-2023, 03:26 PM

I will add, as much as Birmingham benefited from the hub system, I do hope the teams in this new league are based in their respective cities. This would effectively be the 3rd year of the new USFL, which is the timetable originally stated to have all teams playing in their own stadiums.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:39 PM

1,020 posts, read 645,355 times
It seems that cities with stadium deals are favored with maybe a couple of exceptions. There will be some attrition from both leagues.

Old 12-01-2023, 02:40 PM

might need to start a new thread. merger is official. (speculation is that the league will be called the "UFL").

Now-merged XFL and USFL to debut season on March 30

Federal regulators have approved the merger of XFL and USFL -- two spring football leagues -- with the season set to launch on March 30, 2024.

The combined league will be executively run by XFL CEO Russ Brandon.

“We are pleased to have completed the antitrust review process in connection with the proposed merger of the XFL and USFL and intend to play a combined season this spring kicking off on Saturday, March 30,” the two leagues said in a statement. “We are now finalizing terms of the definitive agreement and will share more about this new League in the coming weeks.”

While each of the original leagues held eight teams, it is uncertain what the combined league will have.

The XFL, first founded in 2001, has teams stretched from Seattle, Washington, to Washington, D.C. The league shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic but was then purchased by RedBird Capital Partners, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, and Dany Garcia from Vince McMahon.

Old 12-02-2023, 03:12 PM

302 posts, read 336,721 times
USFL:
Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
Memphis Showboats
Michigan Panthers

XFL:
Arlington Renegades
DC Defenders
San Antonio Brahmas
St Louis BattleHawks

Old 12-03-2023, 02:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,059,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
USFL:
Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
Memphis Showboats
Michigan Panthers

XFL:
Arlington Renegades
DC Defenders
San Antonio Brahmas
St Louis BattleHawks

Well, cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area