Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2022, 09:42 AM

169 posts, read 340,983 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a move to a place between Ruffner Mountain and South Roebuck. I have been to Birmingham before, but not to this area. Please don't tell me to check it out in person, as I cannot do that right now living in another state and with my work schedule.

I am hoping someone can give me a sense of whether this is a good area....quiet, safe, community feel, etc. Or conversely what might the drawbacks be of living in this part of greater Birmingham.

Thanks!

Last edited by cchip55; 03-15-2022 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 12:21 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Some of the highest crime in the city:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/al/birmingham/crime

Old 03-15-2022, 03:31 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,235,766 times
is this considered Roebuck Springs?

i feel like this is an area that is definitely "street to street". on one street you'll find rundown properties, overgrown lots, and bars on the windows and on the next you'll find well kept yards and newly-renovated houses. probably depends on what you're willing to tolerate. should you keep your car doors locked and valuables out of plain sight? yes. will you hear gun shots on occasion? probably. should you feel unsafe? i wouldn't, but that's me.

this area has been seeing an uptick in investment the past 10+ years. i have a few friends that live in the neighborhood and they like it just fine.

do you have a particular street in mind?

Old 04-23-2022, 11:35 AM

169 posts, read 340,983 times
Default Ruffner Mountain area

@TimCity2000

Sorry for the delay in responding, I thought the site would send me an alert when replies were posted - ha so I didn't realize anyone had.

I hadn't gotten as far as a particular street, I have a real estate search alert set up for Birmingham and I get a lot of matches in the Ruffner Mountain area for my criteria. My criteria is a smaller home anything from 800 sq feet to 1400 square feet with the sweet spot being around 1200. I am also only looking for older homes...anything from 1800 (which Birm doesn't really have) up to 1935 at the newest. I like that older homes were more solidly built than new construction today, I like historic features, etc. I don't need or want a large yard, etc. So the Ruffner Mtn area keeps giving me matches, but reading about the crime has put a damper on things.... I don't mind a neighborhood 'in transition' as it means better things are ahead and you can get in at a reasonable price before it gets popular and you get priced out, but it sounds like this area isn't there yet?

Old 04-23-2022, 01:24 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,235,766 times
i would say this area is probably in the early stages of "getting popular", especially with neighborhoods like crestwood and avondale becoming out of reach for a lot of people.

again, it depends on the person. i (a single male in my 40s) wouldn't have any problems living in the area.

if you're looking for 1935 at the newest, though, that's going to limit you.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:23 PM

270 posts, read 531,704 times
This is a case where you can't manage from a spreadsheet. While almost no one would consider it a "luxurious" area or super gentrified, it is not filled "with some of the highest crime in the city".

It is an area of older homes with a lot of transition happening as many of the homes get flipped, renovated, etc and many younger singles and couples that have been priced out of Avondale or Crestwood move there at a steady clip. Any crime that does occur there is fairly minor property crime, which has actually seen a decent drop since Covid since many people are at home more. There has been and is very little violent crime in the area.

The only real drawbacks are that there isn't much decent commercial very close and realistically there won't be anytime soon. What may turn many people off - smaller, older homes with fairly small lots - seems to be a plus to you, so it would be a good spot for you.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:09 PM

204 posts, read 135,612 times
There is no way I would tell you check out that area in person. I would say stay far far away.

I'm sure you realize that older houses, if they haven't been cared for properly over the years, can have major structural problems, wiring, pipes, etc.

Depending on your budget, you might want to ask the B'ham newcomers' guide or other community organization about neighborhoods on Southside, near UAB. It's another street-by-street, or maybe block-by-block area as far as desirability, but it MIGHT be better than Ruffner Mountain - Roebuck.
But do ask about flooding; they have had major problems with that recently on Southside in some areas, I've heard.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:11 PM

270 posts, read 531,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
There is no way I would tell you check out that area in person. I would say stay far far away.

I'm sure you realize that older houses, if they haven't been cared for properly over the years, can have major structural problems, wiring, pipes, etc.

Depending on your budget, you might want to ask the B'ham newcomers' guide or other community organization about neighborhoods on Southside, near UAB. It's another street-by-street, or maybe block-by-block area as far as desirability, but it MIGHT be better than Ruffner Mountain - Roebuck.
But do ask about flooding; they have had major problems with that recently on Southside in some areas, I've heard.

Stop with the fear mongering. There is a reason houses are selling like crazy in that area and isn't because people are staying "far, far away". It is this type of mentality that greatly holds Birmingham back and isn't indicative of current trends.

The neighborhood may not be for everyone but it is for a lot of people believe it or not.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:59 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,170,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawk View Post
Stop with the fear mongering. There is a reason houses are selling like crazy in that area and isn't because people are staying "far, far away". It is this type of mentality that greatly holds Birmingham back and isn't indicative of current trends.

The neighborhood may not be for everyone but it is for a lot of people believe it or not.
Ignoring is the best advice I can give people. Learnt that a long time ago. I know who to hold convo's on here and who not too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area