Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM

26 posts, read 47,837 times

Advertisements

I am a carpenter up here mainly in the commercial field -- have spent some time in the residential field. You cant even buy a job up here-- I dont think I need to get into any facts here on that issue. While I was out looking for work this morning ran into a Laborer whos dad lives in Al, and had mentioned that there is quite a bit of work and that there is Mercedes plants going up and they cant even find folks to fill the positions?

Would like to know how true this is, we are in a hard situation- been here our whole life and love it, unfortunately if you cant find work guess what -- you start to lose things that you cant pay for, like your HOUSE-- we are in that boat right now regretfully so.

ANY type of insight would be awesome, I do not know what areas are good and just looking for some perspective from the hometown people. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 02:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
You might check here..
https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/

I am going to move your post to the B'ham forum since those folks may know what is going on at the Mercedes Plant.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,656 times
Joey:

Alabama has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. We have a labor shortage....in the automotive sector, we have gone from 0 to over 50,000 jobs in 16 years. Three months ago, the Birmingham area had the lowest unemployment rate in the nation of cities with population of over 1 million.

And Birmingham (as well as the rest of Alabama) is not in a recession. Still experiencing growth in the GDP....Birmingham is 97th out of 100 cities in the U.S. in foreclosures....meaning #3 in lack of foreclosures....we haven't been hit by it....

There are many fine general contractors in the Birmingham area...if you are a commercial guy....I'd suggest looking at the following firms.

1) Brasfield and Gorrie
2) B E & K
3) Robins and Morton
4) F.R. Hoar
5) Brice Building
6) Harbert Construction

Several of these firms have revenue of over $1Billion and are always looking for professional tradesmen like yourself.

My other suggestion, is to look at Mobile. The German steelmaker ThyssenKrupp is building a $3.7 Billion plant there now. This is not a misprint: it will create 35,000 contruction jobs.

I'd come on down. You'll find a nice climate, a good job and low taxes.

Let us know if we can assist.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I can't speak to the Mercedes plant specifically, but I do know that Honda is also expanding its plant. What's more, there are a good number of automotive suppliers and other assorted manufacturers in the area, too.

That being said I know that Birmingham is a very strong market, especially for skilled workers like you. Here, unemployment is about 3.1%, while the overall state average is a shade over 4%. I can't speak to the specifics of construction, but I sense a general slowing in residential, but not a complete halt. Overall, the market's economy is very diverse and has really not been affected by the country's economic troubles. What's more, there's a real shortage of skilled workers.

In addition to the link provided by Keeper, I would look at the classifieds in al.com - Everything Alabama. That's the website for the Birmingham News, Huntsville Times and Mobile Press Register.

Good luck to you and let us know if we can help you and your family any further.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:50 PM

10 posts, read 53,249 times
My husband and I moved to the Center Point/Trussville area from Lansing 7 years ago. Other than missing family in Michigan, it is great down here. The cost of living is so much less, the economy is better, people are friendlier, no ICE and SNOW, and the unemployment rate is a lot less than Michigan. Unfortunately, the closing of Oldsmobile and other industries have really negatively affected Michigan. I think you'll like the change. Oh and the property taxes down here are a fraction of what they are in Michigan.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:48 AM

763 posts, read 3,836,656 times
This is one of so many posts, where someone comes along and asks a question/advice. We then respond and hear nothing back....

It gets frustrating sometimes....

Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
This is one of so many posts, where someone comes along and asks a question/advice. We then respond and hear nothing back....

It gets frustrating sometimes....
Maybe we should start charging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area