Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:18 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times

Advertisements

My husband and myself are moving to the Birmingham area next month, we will be moving sight unseen into an apartment/townhouse community and I would like some insight from those of you familar with the areas.

So far I have looked in Hoover, Homewood, and the Highway 280 areas. Looking for 2b/2b, safe, pet friendly area. Schools are not an issue because we are "empty nesters". We like those areas because they will be close to hubby's work, and they were recommended by his new boss as nice areas.

I have been internet searching and everytime I find something the reviews are horrible (not safe, roach infested, falling apart, etc). Can anyone toss a few complex names around so I can research? I have apartment finder so I can contact any place recommended.

Thank you for your help.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
In what part of town will hubby work? What are your interests? What kind of people do you like being around? Where do you get your energy?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 AM

He will be working on the outskirts of Birmingham (in other words Hoover will be the best location travel wise). My experience is in a complex you will get young, old and a little in between, so as long as it is safe, not taken over by gangs I will do well for 6 months to a year. We enjoy shopping, a little night life (all music), golf, hiking, etc.

Safety is my main concern, and then the upkeep of complex. I know complex living is not ideal compared to owning a home, but I like to explore an area before making a decision as big as buying a home, especially in today's world.

Thanks so much. By the way I have picked out Summerchase, Cliffs at Rocky Ridge and also Royal Oaks of RIverchase for the three areas that appear to be nice.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:01 PM

92 posts, read 156,867 times
Take a look at the apartments on Galleria Woods off 150/john Hawkins pkwy near the Galleria. There are 2 different "gated" apartment complexes there- 4 actually but only 2 different management companies. They are nice enough. I would get the 7 month lease. They are safe, quiet and pet friendly. We stayed at Vista Falls while our house was being built. That said, we were tired of them and so glad to move out but that is mostly because of going from 4 br home to 2 br apt....

Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 35,268 times
Default How big of a complex?

If you don't mind a monster complex you should look around the Galleria or the Colonial properties in the areas you selected. The problem with anything around the Galleria is at Christmas time it'll take you 1-2 hours just to get around that place, traffic is ridiculous and it can be a bit pricey depending on your budget. If you like a smaller complex, try Dewberry Downs in Hoover, it's a little older but they are 2b-2b, pet friendly and theres only about 110 units. It's built like townhouses with concrete firewalls between each unit so noise isn't an issue, you can crank a stereo and no one will notice, theres a small pool and a tennis court, it's only 2 mins to the interstate and there are 3 gas stations at that exit and it's only 5 mins or so into main street Hoover for groc, restraunt, banks etc. Several churches nearby of different faiths from muslim, baptist, catholic, independant, whatever your faith. The management is picky since there are more apps than vacancies so the residents are very nice with most being mid 20 and above with a lot of 40 plus crowd. I paint for them so I am very familiar with them and at around 750 a month they are very reasonable to be 1100 or so square feet, they are a little dated but they are nice. Around the Galleria you'll pay a good bit more for the same and most of those are very large complexes(500 plus), some over 1000 units all told. They'll do the standard backgrounds and such, maybe you'll like it. Dewberry Downs in ALABAMA - Apartments for rent | ApartmentFinder.com.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 PM

39 posts, read 124,705 times
What a coincidence! My husband and I are also moving to Birmingham at the end of next month. We are also looking for apartments and are going down on the weekend of Oct 11 to look at places and hopefully sign a lease. We just couldn't do the "site unseen" thing, too scary.

What part of NC are you in? We're in Winston Salem.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Default Thank you for the ideas!

Thank you all who responded, we did end up with a 7 month lease which is perfect for us.

We are coming from the Wilson area of NC, originally from MI. We have one son coming to AL with us, and his sisters are married and living in MI still. AL sounds wonderful, and I am so excited to live near a larger city again.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 PM

10 posts, read 70,834 times
Once you get settled in more, you might try looking at some of Signature Homes communities. They have several townhome type settings with very well kept grounds pool etc. I personally like Edenton on 280 but that's just my type of architecture. www.e-signaturehomes.com. They also have many home communities going and starting. They are just great at customer service before and after you close. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 PM

11 posts, read 41,156 times
Cassy,

Welcome to the Birmingham area! What part of MI? I'm originally from Grand Rapids, and I spent 3 years stationed in Jacksonville, NC!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Smile What area of MI????

I was born and raised in Grand Rapids! The last 10 years that I lived in Michigan were in Rockford and two of my three children graduated from Rockford High. What area are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area