Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,942 times

Advertisements

I have friends who are moving to Alabama in the next couple of months. I am not sure exactly where they will be working but the building is in Birmingham and they gave me a zip code of 35209.

The idea is to live in a safe neighborhood (ok who doesn't want that? ) no more than a 20-25 minute commute to the building. Also, my friends prefer the suburbs, and though I wish I did not have to mention this, my friends are African American, but like me, have a very eclectic group of friends. I, myself, am from NJ with parents from the south (SC and GA), but I must admit until I actually get to visit the state I am concerned with the "red" state mentality and the back to 50's and earlier state of mind. I may be wrong, but I believe my friends feel the same way I do, so a neighborhood that is somewhat up to the times and that is diverse is a plus.

Also, buying a home is the first choice, but getting an apartment is not out of the question. All the above holds true for either choice.

Needing night life is not an issue, but having a place to go eat at chain eateries or a place to catch a movie at a mulitplex is good. Also, being near a Circuit City would not be too bad either.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods to consider is appreciated.

Thanks, in advance, for your assitance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 PM

71 posts, read 481,317 times
35209 is Homewood. I used to live close by. How much do you want/can you spend on a home? Private message me if you like.

Theresa

Old 03-02-2007, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 9,942 times
Hi Theresa,

Thank You for your response. The price range for a home is 100K-150K. But homes in a slightly higher price range (over 150K but no higher than 250K) with one or two homes that fall into this price range (100K-150K) is an option as well.

Thanks again

Old 03-02-2007, 03:17 PM

71 posts, read 481,317 times
Default Southside/Forest Park

Hi,

In that price range, they will likely need to live in the Forest Park area on Southside Bham. Houses are older, but near large parks. Drawback is that it is a gay area. BUT it is eclectic and will be more welcoming to blacks (Bham is not P.C. yet).

Otherwise, I would recommend looking for a foreclosure in Homewood 'cause most small houses there will be 200K plus even if they are old (most areas are safe, but closer to Bham city line are not). South of Homewood is just too $$$. My mom lives in Vestavia in a 2BR 2BA built in the 1950s. Would be a fixer-upper. Her lot is worth almost 300K.

Avoid Bessemer (mostly low-income) and anything in Bham except Southside. Just not safe.

Tell your friends to avoid north of city suburbs. Rednecks abound and tho housing is cheaper, friends may feel isolated/not welcome.

Email me at teachcal@tranquility.net if you have other questions.

Theresa

Old 03-03-2007, 02:43 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
as mentioned, 35209 is homewood. incredibly convenient to downtown as well as over the mountain suburbs and what they have to offer (strip mall galore, shopping at the galleria and summit, etc)

homewood is pretty expensive area. if you want to stay very convenient without paying through the nose, look at southside.

there are actually some affordable homes in the area. also, i don't know how many bedrooms you need, but there are some 1br/1ba and 2 br/1ba condominiums on southside for $200,000 and less.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 22,244 times
hey everyone, I am also possibly relocating to Bham from ohio for work, I am looking for a nice neighborhood to rent a house in. I am mid twenties caucasian as is my new fiance. Race is not an issue for us, but it sounds like it may be for others in some areas down there? We are nice people who want to be in safe surrounding as i will be traveling a lot, and we want to be surrounded with friendly people because we are friendly people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanx.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:20 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt0481 View Post
hey everyone, I am also possibly relocating to Bham from ohio for work, I am looking for a nice neighborhood to rent a house in. I am mid twenties caucasian as is my new fiance. Race is not an issue for us, but it sounds like it may be for others in some areas down there? We are nice people who want to be in safe surrounding as i will be traveling a lot, and we want to be surrounded with friendly people because we are friendly people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanx.
hi jt. i responded to your thread. if you could giveme a little more information about what you are looking for specificaly other than just a safe neighborhood with friendly people that would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area