Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > txtqueen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
  1. Old Comment

Amazing news!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciesmom View Comment
    Isn't he also using your car? Or at least benefitting from your car? You don't have any trouble helping to support him; why shouldn't the reverse be true?

Put your mattress on the floor or find something cheap on CraigsList. You might also look for used camping equipment. Paying your grandmother back for the car should be your first priority though. 1-200/month isn't but a drop in the bucket on that level of debt. You ought to be figuring out how much you owe then dividing it up over 3 years or so and figuring out the payment. And yes, the rest of us DO put off other things we might want, to pay off debt first. Did you not think that's how life went? I don't understand that. Yes. We all put things off that we cannot afford because paying our current debtload is an obligation.

And even if you are renting from a relative, it's not your house unless your name is on the mortgage/lease.

And where did $17K come from? I thought the car had to be under $15. You've "borrowed" more?
    No. There really wasn't a set budget, I wasn't allowed to get a used car and I couldn't go crazy.
    Its like 16,600 or so I was just rounding up since I am not sure.

I really can't do more than a 300 payment, with my car it would have been 5 years anyways, cutting that down by two years will make it WAY TOO HIGH a month.

If I pay it off like a normal 5 year thing then it would be $300 a month.
    If I pay it off in three years it'll be $500 a month.

Way too high.
    And I have been supporting him for like maybe a monthish, vs a year PLUS some of his income.

I'm sure if I payed $300 a month it would be ok but paying anything higher and it's just going to take all of our money.
  2. Old Comment

Amazing news!

Isn't he also using your car? Or at least benefitting from your car? You don't have any trouble helping to support him; why shouldn't the reverse be true?

Put your mattress on the floor or find something cheap on CraigsList. You might also look for used camping equipment. Paying your grandmother back for the car should be your first priority though. 1-200/month isn't but a drop in the bucket on that level of debt. You ought to be figuring out how much you owe then dividing it up over 3 years or so and figuring out the payment. And yes, the rest of us DO put off other things we might want, to pay off debt first. Did you not think that's how life went? I don't understand that. Yes. We all put things off that we cannot afford because paying our current debtload is an obligation. You need to make up for the fact that you have a 2yr old car you've never made payments on. What is going to happen when that car needs to be replaced and you are still paying (or not as the case may be) on it? Then what? You now owe $17K on a car that probably isn't worth $12K. How does that make sense to you?

And even if you are renting from a relative, it's not your house unless your name is on the mortgage/lease.

And where did $17K come from? I thought the car had to be under $15. You've "borrowed" more?
    Updated 06-03-2012 at 03:30 PM by maciesmom
  3. Old Comment

Revenge is a dish best served cold by a biatch name Karma.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Comment
    It's bad karma to talk about other people's karma.

Bad karma just in the title. Anyone have any sage? I may need to smoke out the bad karma of bad karma.
    I have sage, blessed by a Sioux medicine man actually. It is one of my most treasured items so I am very hesitant to use it though. Maybe it will work some by just waving it unlit
  4. Old Comment

Well my life is going good and that is all that matters.
  5. Old Comment

It's bad karma to talk about other people's karma.

Bad karma just in the title. Anyone have any sage? I may need to smoke out the bad karma of bad karma.
  6. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

And I am talking about a weekend camping trip.
    There is a place like 30 minutes from the house, cute little place, really nice super cheap.

Drive down friday after work and go back sunday night.
    Spend gas money and $40 for the camp site fee. Just sit around, eat some food and relax. Simple easy and cheap.

I'm not talking about big extravagant vacations. Spending lots and lots of money.
  7. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Comment
    No, we don't ALL have house payments. I don't and I know many others who don't. And yes, I didnt take my real first vacation until all my debt was paid off. That vacation was just this past weekend- for four days. Two in DC and two in NYC- after 13yrs of marriage! Why? Because when you are in debt, you can't AFFORD to take a vacation! We paid off our debt in a year awhile back ago and since they have lived a cash free only life. Our priority is investing in our future, not just today and tomorrow.

You only call bull**** because you haven't grown up yet and you think money is something that you can just create on a whim when you need it. It doesn't work that way.
    So you never saved money for christmas presents?
    Never saved money to buy new things.
    Never needed to save up to replace something.

Whatever I'll live my life happily, you live yours how ever you want as well.
  8. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    Yes, it seems really reasonable to take 7yrs to pay off a 17K loan.. to a family member. Hell, it shouldn't take you 7yrs to pay of 17K! You obviously bought a car you couldn't afford. By the time you pay off that car, you will already be trying to "upgrade" it- We already know how you work. Pay off your grandmother FIRST- Family debt gets paid FIRST! How hard is it to get that

You and TG ARE NOT MARRIED!! It doesn't matter what he thinks about what you pay towards your bills. If you make 13$hr, you need to put at least 20% of your pay to your grandmother to pay her back. I mean, you are bragging about how much money you will have each month *roll eyes*
    That's $265 a month.
    THAT is reasonable.
    And how much money HE and I have a month. Together we're going to be making $3000 a month and you were telling me to pay it off in a year, a year would have had $1400 payments, when I make $1300 a month, that's crazy. I was trying to tell you that it was nuts to even consider paying it off in a year at $1400 a month.

And I wasn't given a choice in cars, I had my pick and a budget. I wanted to just get a used car but she told me no. The brand new car was her decision.
  9. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Yes, it seems really reasonable to take 7yrs to pay off a 17K loan.. to a family member. Hell, it shouldn't take you 7yrs to pay of 17K! You obviously bought a car you couldn't afford. By the time you pay off that car, you will already be trying to "upgrade" it- We already know how you work. Pay off your grandmother FIRST- Family debt gets paid FIRST! How hard is it to get that

You and TG ARE NOT MARRIED!! It doesn't matter what he thinks about what you pay towards your bills. If you make 13$hr, you need to put at least 20% of your pay to your grandmother to pay her back. I mean, you are bragging about how much money you will have each month *roll eyes*
  10. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

No, we don't ALL have house payments. I don't and I know many others who don't. And yes, I didnt take my real first vacation until all my debt was paid off. That vacation was just this past weekend- for four days. Two in DC and two in NYC- after 13yrs of marriage! Why? Because when you are in debt, you can't AFFORD to take a vacation! We paid off our debt in a year awhile back ago and since they have lived a cash free only life. Our priority is investing in our future, not just today and tomorrow.

You only call bull**** because you haven't grown up yet and you think money is something that you can just create on a whim when you need it. It doesn't work that way.
  11. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

OMG
    If I paid off that car in a year, it would be 1,416 A MONTH.

You're telling me I should make $1,416 car payments A MONTH??????

That sounds like asinine advice.
    If I paid $200 a month, it'd be paid off in 7.08 years.
    If I paid $250 a month, it'd be paid off in 5.6 years.
    If I paid $300 a month, it'd be paid off in 4.7 years.

Which seems reasonable.
    No way in hell would he go for a car payment that is my than my income, he'd look at me like I just sprouted a horn.
  12. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    Nice that you deleted my last semi long comment to you about paying off your grandmother first before getting stupid stuff like camping gear. Then to start saving money for your OWN place. If you are bringing home 3K each month like you claim, there is NO reason you can't have your grandmother paid off by end of the year or spring 2013 at the very latest
    I don't delete post.
    I just don't get why I can't enjoy camping this summer WHILE paying my grandmother back, like normal people with car payments do, they don't stop their lives while they have car payments.

It is my job to pay my grandmother back, not TG's I can't be paying HUGE amounts of money to her every month because *I* can't afford it and I am not about to start dipping into TG's money for the car or having him support me so I can pay it off.

If I make 1326 after taxes, take out 356 for rent, $80 for my car insurance and $80 for my cell and then I have to contribute towards groceries.

So that's about $516 so far, then add in maybe $100/mo for groceries so $616 and then gas for my car that's about $200 a month so $816.

That's about $510 left over, a reasonable payment would be about $300 then I have $210 left for myself A MONTH.
  13. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Nice that you deleted my last semi long comment to you about paying off your grandmother first before getting stupid stuff like camping gear. Then to start saving money for your OWN place. If you are bringing home 3K each month like you claim, there is NO reason you can't have your grandmother paid off by end of the year or spring 2013 at the very latest
  14. Old Comment

I moved out.....Now what?

You missed what I was saying. .
    WE get paid every week.
    One week my check, next week his check and it alternates.
  15. Old Comment

I moved out.....Now what?

Quote:
    Your math is way off. If you make 11$ an hour, working 40hs a week, there is no way your income would come up to 660 EVERY week.

Hell, I make 16.50 an hour and I have been doing my line of work for awhile- please tell me that there is no way you and TG have jobbed hopped and are making more than me o_O
    I make 1760 a month before taxes.
    Every TWO weeks I get a check for $663.someoddcents, its the same amount every two weeks.
    With HIS job added in he gets paid the opposite weeks from me and he'll be bringing in like 2080 a month before taxes and we guess that to be about $800 or so every two weeks.

So this month on:
    7th: I get $663
    15th: He gets about $500 for his first check.
    21st: I get $663
    1st: He gets his first full check, which will be $800-900.

I get paid every other thursday and he gets paid the 1st and the 15th of every month. So
    we'll be bringing in a lot a month.
  16. Old Comment

Amazing news!

Quote:
    I don't want to hear how long it takes off to pay 17K. If you do it right, it doesn't take long AT ALL. We managed to pay off over 40K in debt in a year. 17K is nothing

You shouldn't be saving any money for your camping gear because it isn't a necessity! You could pay off your grandmother quicker putting that extra money to her instead of camping gear. She would be paid off quicker and then you snowball whatever money you paid her once car is paid off towards other things- like getting your own place. Why are you thinking about camping gear when you and TG are just renting a room? Your priorities are messed up a bit.
    We're renting from his sister. It's a house. We take care of it too. Its OUR house, we have use of the kitchen and the backyard and the laundry. He mows the lawn, he takes care of the yard. It's like family all living in one house, not like us living with a stranger we're renting a room from.
    We plan on being there for awhile, this isn't a temporary fix. We plan on being here a year or more and we want to go camping with the family this summer.

And his family goes camping and we go with them. Last time we stayed in a pup tent that was 4ftX6ft and he's 6'2''. We're just getting a tent for now and some small things.

And in order to pay off 17K in a year I would have to pay more than $1,000 a month, that would be dipping into HIS money because I only make 1,300 after taxes, he would be supporting me to pay off this car in a year.
  17. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

We plan on

$730 for rent etc
    $80 cell phone
    $80 my car insurance
    About $200 a month in gas.
    About $200 a month in groceries.

After that we plan on putting like 2/3 of the money into savings and then having the rest as extras money.

The savings is savings, that isn't being touched.
    The extras money, part will be spent, part will be saved for big things.

It's easy to go out and buy a $10 shirt for whatever but if we save up some extras money too for a nice tent, its out "extra's" money, it really has no rhyme or reason to be spent.

Many couples both have car payments.

But whatever, I have my plan it'll work out.

I can't believe you actually think people with car payments don't save for anything else while they have a car payment.
  18. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    No- you have to have a SET amount that you put into an emergency account and there is no such thing as "free spending money" You can't have a solid plan if you are just saying "we plan on" You have to say "each pay X$ goes to bills, Y$ goes into the emergency savings account and Z$ is for extras. You shouldn't be purchasing ANY big ticket items until your debt is paid off. You can't afford it. Get out of debt first, get at least 1K saved up in an emergency savings account, THEN save for whatever big purchase you think you must have

And no one plans on buying clothes every month, but if you have a job, you should still BUDGET for a clothing allowance each month- I put 40$ into my clothing account each month for instance. Yes, not much (double goes into my son's clothing fund), but since I don't buy clothes every month, when I do go to do so, I have saved up for several months and can have a nice shopping trip. If you aren't budgeting for anything until you NEED something, the money won't be there.

So people who have a car payment, don't save up for things like concert tickets.

You all have house payments, you're telling me all of you are waiting till your done with paying off your house to go on vacation, purchase a new vehicle, save up for christmas gifts.

I'm calling bull****.
    I'm not waiting YEARS to get this car paid off before I do anything else.
    It's just like a car payment, I make a monthly X payment, and the rest of my income is MINE to spend and save how I want to.

Don't pull that bull**** with me.
    Majority of people here are in debt, whether it's a loan for a house or car payments and I HIGHLY doubt they don't save up for the other things they want.
  19. Old Comment

Amazing news!

I don't want to hear how long it takes off to pay 17K. If you do it right, it doesn't take long AT ALL. We managed to pay off over 40K in debt in a year. 17K is nothing

You shouldn't be saving any money for your camping gear because it isn't a necessity! You could pay off your grandmother quicker putting that extra money to her instead of camping gear. She would be paid off quicker and then you snowball whatever money you paid her once car is paid off towards other things- like getting your own place. Why are you thinking about camping gear when you and TG are just renting a room? Your priorities are messed up a bit.
  20. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

No- you have to have a SET amount that you put into an emergency account and there is no such thing as "free spending money" You can't have a solid plan if you are just saying "we plan on" You have to say "each pay X$ goes to bills, Y$ goes into the emergency savings account and Z$ is for extras. You shouldn't be purchasing ANY big ticket items until your debt is paid off. You can't afford it. Get out of debt first, get at least 1K saved up in an emergency savings account, THEN save for whatever big purchase you think you must have

And no one plans on buying clothes every month, but if you have a job, you should still BUDGET for a clothing allowance each month- I put 40$ into my clothing account each month for instance. Yes, not much (double goes into my son's clothing fund), but since I don't buy clothes every month, when I do go to do so, I have saved up for several months and can have a nice shopping trip. If you aren't budgeting for anything until you NEED something, the money won't be there.