Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > txtqueen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
  1. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Comment
    In order to make enough money to support a family, you need to either go to school, or you both need to stay at your jobs long enough to get promoted and get raises. With your track record so far, that's unlikely. The job I had when we got engaged is the same one I kept for the next 9 years. Hubby kept his for about 5, while getting a master's degree, which allowed him to get a better job. Job hoping like you have been for the last several years is not going to get you anywhere.
    The job he has now is a really good one and he is staying there as long as he can, which unless he gets laid off, it'll be for the next 10+ years. I need to get settled into a m-f 8-5 like him so it wont be so hard on us sharing one car and I need to make better money so we have more. Receptionist jobs at doctors offices pay pretty well and would give good hours, that is what I am looking at right now.

but by this fall I plan on being settled in a m-f 8-5 with better pay and sticking with it.
    I wouldn't switch jobs so much if I could find one that paid what I wanted it to and had nice hours, if I find one I will stick with it.
  2. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Comment
    I am happy that you are happy.

To answer your question, we got engaged at 24, and were both entirely supporting ourselves since 18 for him and 21 for me. We waited until I was done with grad school to get married at 27, moved cross country twice for my job, had our first child at 32, moved cross country for his job, and had our second at 35.

I second what Kibs said about it being more about "the right time" than "the right age" and that money and kids are stressful on "new" marriages. DH and I both know what it is to be very poor, deal with one partner who is unemployed, near-death family health issues, work 80+ hour weeks and rarely see each other in order to make ends meet and save for the things we wanted to have. I already knew how we both responded to big stressors and crises before we got married, because we had been through so many. It can make a relationship stronger or it can break a relationship. It's hard to say which until you've weathered a few storms together.
    Thats kind of how we are now.
    I mean he works weeks and I work tuesday/wed/sat/sun, still 40 hours and ALL DAY 7am-7pm Sat and Sun.
    We barely see each other and we're doing to make ends meet so we can have money to buy our camping gear and a second car, etc.
    We're weathering a storm right now. I need a better job, I need the same hours as him and it's really hard on me right now, so I'll be looking for a higher paying job one that works the same hours as him m-f 8-5.
  3. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

In order to make enough money to support a family, you need to either go to school, or you both need to stay at your jobs long enough to get promoted and get raises. With your track record so far, that's unlikely. The job I had when we got engaged is the same one I kept for the next 9 years. Hubby kept his for about 5, while getting a master's degree, which allowed him to get a better job. Job hoping like you have been for the last several years is not going to get you anywhere.
  4. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

I am happy that you are happy.

To answer your question, we got engaged at 24, and were both entirely supporting ourselves since 18 for him and 21 for me. We waited until I was done with grad school to get married at 27, moved cross country twice for my job, had our first child at 32, moved cross country for his job, and had our second at 35.

I second what Kibs said about it being more about "the right time" than "the right age" and that money and kids are stressful on "new" marriages. DH and I both know what it is to be very poor, deal with one partner who is unemployed, near-death family health issues, work 80+ hour weeks and rarely see each other in order to make ends meet and save for the things we wanted to have. I already knew how we both responded to big stressors and crises before we got married, because we had been through so many. It can make a relationship stronger or it can break a relationship. It's hard to say which until you've weathered a few storms together.
    Posted 05-27-2012 at 05:07 PM by eastwesteastagain eastwesteastagain is offline
  5. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    I was 25, almost 26 when we got married, and 30 when my first was born. Age doesn't have a ton to do with it though. It was the right time. We'd both finished college. we both had jobs with benefits. We'd both bought our own cars, and had been living in our own apartments, paying our own way.

I know a couple who got married at 20-ish and had their first child (unplanned) a year or so later. Neither had finished college. They couldn't afford a sitter. They really struggled. One worked while the other went to school, then they switched. Luckily for them they had family to help watch the baby. They weren't able to buy their first house until much later. They made it work, and are still together, but sadly, they are the exception, not the rule.

Money and kids can put a huge strain on a relationship. Huge. Many marriages don't survive the early stages.
    Well we've established the whole getting our own place deal and plan to move again in another few years into someone on our own.

I have benefits. He has benefits so we're starting to get stuff together, it might be awhile before kids but hopefully marriage in the near future like within the next two years.
  6. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

I was 25, almost 26 when we got married, and 30 when my first was born. Age doesn't have a ton to do with it though. It was the right time. We'd both finished college. we both had jobs with benefits. We'd both bought our own cars, and had been living in our own apartments, paying our own way.

I know a couple who got married at 20-ish and had their first child (unplanned) a year or so later. Neither had finished college. They couldn't afford a sitter. They really struggled. One worked while the other went to school, then they switched. Luckily for them they had family to help watch the baby. They weren't able to buy their first house until much later. They made it work, and are still together, but sadly, they are the exception, not the rule.

Money and kids can put a huge strain on a relationship. Huge. Many marriages don't survive the early stages.
  7. Old Comment

Amazing news!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by txtqueen View Comment
    He's not paying her, I will be paying her but I asked about fitting it into the budget because we have huge plans for the next year, buying camping gear, buying a platform bedframe, just saving money in general.
    No, no, no. You put your payment to grandma in the budget, then you see how much you have left over to save for camping gear and a platform bed. Do you have no concept of priorities? No concept that you pay down debt before you buy more stuff? ETA - you don't ask TG if there is room in the budget, you tell him you are paying your grandma back. It is the right thing to do.

Being completely serious, I recommend you watch Suze Orman on CNBC Saturday evenings. You can learn a lot of basics from her.
  8. Old Comment

Amazing news!

Quote:
    That is YOUR car, not his. YOU need to pay your grandma, not TG.
    He's not paying her, I will be paying her but I asked about fitting it into the budget because we have huge plans for the next year, buying camping gear, buying a platform bedframe, just saving money in general.
  9. Old Comment

Amazing news!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Comment
    What does TG have to do with it?

It's your debt, your Grandmother. You should be putting some money aside so you can move out into your own place if necessary. Not shared money, your money.

You'd be completely crazy not to have an exit strategy.
    We've been talking about marriage and kids and my money IS my money and if we ever split I still have my job.

And I asked him because he pretty much manages and balances the finances and is teaching me how to as well but I am terrible with money and he is not, hes so much better at saving and budgeting than I am.
  10. Old Comment

Amazing news!

That is YOUR car, not his. YOU need to pay your grandma, not TG.
  11. Old Comment

Amazing news!

What does TG have to do with it?

It's your debt, your Grandmother. You should be putting some money aside so you can move out into your own place if necessary. Not shared money, your money.

You'd be completely crazy not to have an exit strategy.
  12. Old Comment

Moving out.

Quote:
    why would he have "moving expenses" but you wouldn't?
    Because HE had furniture that he was moving and I didn't all my stuff could be put in my car. His parents gave him a bed but we ended up being able to avoid any extra expenses but in all reality he had been paying all that time with no help from me, so paying about $400 in all for rent in 6 months pretty much was nice of me to do.
  13. Old Comment

Why do I not want to be a cop?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciesmom View Comment
    I have no doubt you have a plan. You always do. It's the follow-through you have trouble with. If I were betting, I'd say a year from now you won't be any closer to implementing this "plan" than you are today. That's what you need to work on. You're all kinds of good at "planning". Try implementing. You'll accomplish more.

My guess is, you'll keep coasting along as long as the "easy button" is available to you.
    Hmm, lets see, it's like idk how long since I posted this and I am already moved out, TG already has a better job, and we're already pretty damn close to saving up money and doing things like getting a second car.
  14. Old Comment

Ending up in jail..

I'm not fighting you anymore on this.
    A drunk driver is a drunk driver, exactly what it sounds like, a drunk driver is not someone sitting in the driver seat parked at a gas station looking for something for someone else, who only pulls the car up a few feet once he sees a car pull in behind him.
    That's not what I would call a drunk driver.

Anyways, you're not changing my opinion.
  15. Old Comment

Amazing news!

I talked to TG about the car payment idea and he agrees but says it won't be for another few months.
    He JUST started his new job and won't get a paycheck till the 15th of next month and then we have to wait till we build up savings and we each have full checks coming in every pay period.
  16. Old Comment

Amazing news!

While I'm thinking of it... You might also want to tell the state of CO his income has changed. I know you filled out a lot of paperwork so he could get a public defender on the DUI charge. They might need to know he's making more money. And be sure you let them know about the address change.
  17. Old Comment

Amazing news!

Now you can start paying back Grandma for the car.

AND pay your tickets.

Pretty ballin' right there.
  18. Old Comment

Ending up in jail..

You wanted the cops to ignore a drunk driver so YOUR life would be easier.

You think using someone in the police department to scam the system is a GOOD thing.

You have no desire to pay your grandmother's loan of money back even though you told her you would.

Meh. Just meh. It's too depressing reading this stuff.
  19. Old Comment

Ending up in jail..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by txtqueen View Comment
    Crafty little **** aren't I?
    Meh.
    Updated 05-06-2012 at 04:51 PM by DewDropInn
  20. Old Comment

Why do I not want to be a cop?

I have no doubt you have a plan. You always do. It's the follow-through you have trouble with. If I were betting, I'd say a year from now you won't be any closer to implementing this "plan" than you are today. That's what you need to work on. You're all kinds of good at "planning". Try implementing. You'll accomplish more.

My guess is, you'll keep coasting along as long as the "easy button" is available to you.