Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Welcome To Case's Column
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Welcome To Case's Column

Let me say a big welcome to all of you for joining me here. I'm going to call these blog meetings Case's Column. I wanted to use "Corner", but that was already taken. Since 2008, it's been a real privilege to come on here and share some of my life with you, and it's a big world where we live.

In these blogs, I'll just speak whatever is on my mind, but we will be playing within the rules here. I may pick a particular topic, point out an event, or shoot the breeze. I'm a little bit of an essayist at times, so I'll just speak what's on my mind, and I might tell a story or two. Or, I might spew out an opinion or three. There will be some serious moments, some tender, some poignant, but there will also be those moments that you'll just bust out laughing. But, hopefully, everything will be in good fun here. And, of course, there's a place below for your comments and thoughts as we go along here. So feel free to join me for the ride -- I sure as heck hope I'm doing this right and not making any mistakes.

Thanks for taking your time in reading Case's Column. Hopefully, you'll enjoy being entertained by it as much as I've enjoyed putting these writings together. And thanks for the time you spend in City-Data.com, where it's great to be alive!

Regards,

case44

1. Old Comment

Finding Certain Products Online Brings Up Many Questions

I’ve been through the town of Menard, TX many times. There’s a park alongside a river that has some of the biggest pecan trees I’ve seen. That river is the San Saba.
  2. Old Comment

With Few Exceptions, A Lot Of Things Haven't Gone Right For The 2024 Astros

For now, the dynasty still goes on, but there are cracks. The problems are fixable, but they will also need luck on their side. Even if they made the playoffs and didn't get through, they can retool for next season, but they may end up doing so with Framber Valdez, Alex Bregman, and Kyle Tucker.
  3. Old Comment

Sometimes, Your Writer Just Has Impeccable Timing

We just need now for Mother Nature to cooperate. Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and part of Sunday in the Austin area. Fingers crossed.

And if she gets out of line, then I'm going to kick her butt!
  4. Old Comment

What If Lubbock Had A Full Metro Area? - Part One

^Haven’t thought about that. I remember as a kid almost being hypnotized by a rather simple sign that a bread company put up, that just featured a wheel moving in circles, with bread slices painted on it, behind a stationary loaf. That probably caused accidents, too, because of people who were out at the bars too late.
  5. Old Comment
  6. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shoe01 View Comment
    Good ideas. Not sure about the neon DP sign next to a historic park (might be appropriate for Waco), but the other ideas may be worth exploring.
    I get that Dr Pepper is big in Waco, but why not an ad that's visible from the freeways? Look, they had a Coca-Cola ad in Tulsa that just lit up on one of their freeways, so that was the impetus for an idea in Lubbock. Now, if they ever build direct-connects from 82 onto I-27 and you have to try to look at the Dr Pepper billboard while exiting/entering, then you'd have to be careful not to get in an accident. But if you're a passenger in that car, then it'd be worth it.

Plus, also know that Dallas has had a beer ad with a waterfall on I-35E near downtown for many, many years right at the location of the famed escarpment. That also provided an idea for that Dr Pepper sign. Lubbock needs to think outside the box.
  7. Old Comment

There's just not enough space to explain what really should be explained, so I'm going to do a series and try to break it all down.
  8. Old Comment

Good ideas. Not sure about the neon DP sign next to a historic park (might be appropriate for Waco), but the other ideas may be worth exploring.
  9. Old Comment

If Only Major League Pitchers Would Just Have Bionic Arms....

It sure does seem to be a growing problem more than ever. It's frustrating when pitchers in the show can't succeed anymore without missing some time.
  10. Old Comment

If Only Major League Pitchers Would Just Have Bionic Arms....

This vid pretty well confirms everything I've shared here thus far....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOrXEfxzdsI
  11. Old Comment

Case's 2024 MLB Predictions: Where Will Everyone Finish?

It appears so far, your Astros prediction isn't looking to pan out well. They got their clocks cleaned in Arlington last night. I do agree that the Orioles are due; they've stocked up on some incredible talent and are ready to take that next step.

And props to you on my Cardinals. I think we'll surprise a lot of people!
  12. Old Comment

Solar Panels Look Ugly On Top Of Houses

Glad you're choosing a Spanish villa, Case.
  13. Old Comment

H-E-B Just Keeps Moving On In D/FW

All the excitement up north of Dallas, along with the rendering:

https://newsroom.heb.com/h-e-b-break...prosper-store/
  14. Old Comment

C-D Thread Highlight: French Fries --- Crispy Or Juicy?

Those who have tasted Louisiana Voodoo Fries know its unique and delicious taste, but if you’re hearing about this dish for the first time, you might wonder why it’s so beloved. The answer to your question is given below:
    First of all, every bite has an explosion of flavor and texture.
    Cajun Seasoning adds a next-level experience, giving rich and bold taste.
    Creaminess and cheesiness are also present to melt and tantalize your taste buds.
    After every bite, the craving for the next bite increases.
    For complete recipe visit: https://recipevilla.com/voodoo-fries/
  15. Old Comment

Austin's New Supertalls Are Getting Higher And Higher

It's out of control there. I remember when the only skyline Austin really had was the UT Tower and the Capitol. My, have things changed!
  16. Old Comment
  17. Old Comment

What I've Looked Forward To Since, Oh, Thanksgiving

Spring definitely is here, and so is baseball. How do you think your Astros will make out, Case?
  18. Old Comment

So Much For Lubbock's Barbecue Emergence....

I did read about that, shoe, and it's unfortunate. It's possible that that could have played a role in it, but it's also possible that the couple just wanted to go another direction. Who knows? Maybe one day, they could bring it back.
  19. Old Comment

So Much For Lubbock's Barbecue Emergence....

There had been some incidents with stolen brisket and arson of the outdoor pits (maybe a disgruntled former employee?), but I don’t know if that influenced the decision. The theft/destruction happened last June.
  20. Old Comment