U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Welcome To Case's Column
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Welcome To Case's Column

Let me say a big welcome to all of you for joining me here. I'm going to call these blog meetings Case's Column. I wanted to use "Corner", but that was already taken. Since 2008, it's been a real privilege to come on here and share some of my life with you, and it's a big world where we live.

In these blogs, I'll just speak whatever is on my mind, but we will be playing within the rules here. I may pick a particular topic, point out an event, or shoot the breeze. I'm a little bit of an essayist at times, so I'll just speak what's on my mind, and I might tell a story or two. Or, I might spew out an opinion or three. There will be some serious moments, some tender, some poignant, but there will also be those moments that you'll just bust out laughing. But, hopefully, everything will be in good fun here. And, of course, there's a place below for your comments and thoughts as we go along here. So feel free to join me for the ride -- I sure as heck hope I'm doing this right and not making any mistakes.

Thanks for taking your time in reading Case's Column. Hopefully, you'll enjoy being entertained by it as much as I've enjoyed putting these writings together. And thanks for the time you spend in City-Data.com, where it's great to be alive!

Regards,

case44

1. Old Comment

I-69 Update: Driscoll Bypass Closer To Completion

Speaking of I-37, a new overhead sign southbound now gives the control of a segment between the two I-69E junctions to be a multiplex of both I-69E and I-37. It is located at what will become the north junction of I-69E (currently U.S. Highway 77). Technically, it had already existed since I-69 first opened in Corpus Christi, and this is even before any new construction on the future interstate north of 37. Right now, you don't see any ground-level signage suggesting the multiplex, but that will eventually change.
  2. Old Comment

Death Threats By Left Wing Goons Against Fellow Americans Need To Stop

Obama is to blame for much of this, ladies and gentlemen. It's Obama. After all, he said in 2009 that he was going to fundamentally transform this country. It basically has started with that. Yes, America had some issues before then, but what you see today is way worse than even anything in Obama's second term, which was bad enough. All this malaise and misfeasance is an end result of this "fundamental transformation".

Heaven help us.
  3. Old Comment

Patriots Win, Leftists Lose, And America Must Be Saved

Well, a bit of good news today: Mary Poppins has quit. Guess ol' Sleepy Joe* is putting his meaningless "disinformation board" on "pause". Stuff like this makes any sane American beg for less government.

Conservatives, please be strong. We have to defeat the far left in this year's midterms. We can do this!
  4. Old Comment

What To Do Between Taco Tuesday And Cinco de Mayo? Eureka!

There were not many restaurants open for the last May 5 on a Tuesday. I believe that was in 2020, when the Branch Covidians ruled.
  5. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbgusa View Comment
    What if May 5 falls on a Tuesday?
    That's what I've already pointed out, jbg.

And it will be glorious.
  6. Old Comment
  7. Old Comment

I-69 Update: Corpus Christi Finally Updating Their Markers?

Google Maps Street View now has updates of the new I-69E signage in Corpus Christi and Robstown. They've been changed just in the last few months to replace the original I-69 signage (historic, but outdated), but such is better than no change at all. Best of all, they look great! In just eight days from this writing, your blogger will be down there and taking in the sights from the area.
  8. Old Comment

Funny how I had plans for things on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, but not on Wednesday. Had I not been so tired on Tuesday night, I might have done those burgers yesterday. Oh, well. Live and learn.

Now, if Taco Tuesday could one day fall on Cinco de Mayo??.....

In case you're wondering, it will be in 2026.
  9. Old Comment

Coach Knight Might Be A Big Reason Many People Have Moved To Lubbock

You can make a good case for Mahomes, shoe. He's certainly given Tech a lot more publicity. And Knight has also influenced Chris Beard (who almost won a national title at Tech), who then brought out Mark Adams, who I believe will have a long tenure in Lubbock.
  10. Old Comment

Coach Knight Might Be A Big Reason Many People Have Moved To Lubbock

Agree 100%. People will also mention Leach (and they have a point when they bring up the 2008 season and one game in particular), but he always seemed have one foot out the door, unlike RMK.

The latter continued to live in Lubbock after retirement, until a few years ago. I know the reason why he moved, and it had nothing to do with his opinion of the place.

Others who likely deserve some credit are Delbert McDougal, John Montford, and Kent Hance. The current mayor Dan Pope and probably Mahomes deserve credit for keeping the ball rolling (I’m sure I left out some important people).
    Updated 05-05-2022 at 02:34 PM by shoe01
  11. Old Comment

Just Some TV Nostalgia: This Is CBS

ABC's Ernie Anderson will always be my favorite promo announcer/voiceover.

In those promos for a prime time lineup, he would have a fun vibe for a sitcom and immediately shift to an intense one for a drama.
  12. Old Comment

A Few West Texas Musings From Your Rambling Writer

Now, it should be noted, San Angelo does have a freeway system. It basically has one fish-hooking road with two highway designations in the central and southwest (U.S. Highway 67 and State Loop 306). There is also a section of Loop 306 on Angelo's east side that contains some freeway elements. That segment is expected to become part of the new trade corridor to go through the city.
  13. Old Comment

Elon To Twitter: Maybe Free Speech CAN Be Saved After All

Elon Musk has now gone further. He has officially taken over Twitter.

I'm just now hoping that he's sincere on his word regarding free speech. Things in America are going to get real interesting. And the leftist idiots in this country are throwing fits, which is one thing this writer really wants to see.

Butter that popcorn, everyone! Free speech is back.
  14. Old Comment

I-69 Update: Can The New Harbor Bridge Be Part Of A New Route?

It wouldn't be a bypass, but really, more of a pass-through.
  15. Old Comment

What Many Americans Are Sick And Tired Of

Government in America was not created to antagonize its citizenry. Somebody apparently had forgotten to tell Joe Biden* that.
  16. Old Comment

What Many Americans Are Sick And Tired Of

The purpose of government, limited as it should be, is supposed to be about serving and protecting the American people.

Is that happening right now? Nope.

Still miss Trump?? This writer still does. And, oh, how we yearn for his leadership today.
  17. Old Comment
  18. Old Comment

Case44's MLB Predictions For The 2022 Campaign

Yeah, it is back in season. I was thinking it might be back in popularity which I would be fine with.
  19. Old Comment

Love Of Country Must Be A Prerequisite For The Presidency

Why would anyone in his or her right mind run for office just in order to antagonize fellow Americans and undermine a country? After sixteen disastrous months of a stolen presidency filled with cheaters and liars, Americans are craving for the leadership we actually had prior to all of this.

Let it sink in, folks. Just let it sink in.
  20. Old Comment

New Supreme Court Nominee Cannot Define A Woman

This lady actually got confirmed!

Thanks a lot, gutless RINOs.

And where were Manchin and Sinema when we really needed them??