Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times

Advertisements

The unideologued experience of your own family's benefitting from BMW's growth that you presented in your earlier post, makes too much economic sense, for the union at any cost and if its not government doing it it must be evil crowd.

Glad BMW did it right now! Really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
"Corporate welfare" got a company to pay for my family's entire move, paid to train me, pays me pretty decently, provides good benefits with a great 401k match, and is fully pay for me to go back to school.

So evil and not in the best interest of the employee at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
This and many more stories like it could be replicated if the federal government would jus sit down and shut up. Right now!

Kudos to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Maybe it just makes business sense??? Rather than needlessly shipping. Of course, they could have chosen Mexico.

Auto assembly/industry jobs pay well! I'm glad our country is getting NEW jobs that we simply have never had before.

It's awesome and needs to be replicated throughout as much of the country as possible, and extended into other industries!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
okay what just happened in here lol

Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
These jobs pay around $17-18 per hour plus benefits, I don't call that "cheap" labor, especially for doing factory work.

Sure, that's less than the northern union states, but its a choice of slightly lower pay, or no job at all. Most of these southern auto plants also have thousands of applications from people up north looking for work.
It's a nice production facility. This expansion is great news. Thier new IPP building was built with future expansions in mind, so another 300 jobs will start thru the temp service at a rate of at least 15 an hour. One thing to remember is that South Carolina cost of living is far cheaper than those northern union States with thier over priced gas, fuel, homes, utilities, and food.
100% of all BMW vehicles and BMW owned company products (Mini cooper, for example) come thru the Spartanburg plant facility. Thier test grounds/ performance center is second to none!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
The unideologued experience of your own family's benefitting from BMW's growth that you presented in your earlier post, makes too much economic sense, for the union at any cost and if its not government doing it it must be evil crowd.

Glad BMW did it right now! Really!
I don't work for BMW, but same thing I work for Boeing, expanded production to South Carolina, and has invested over $1 billion dollars in facilities and supplying jobs.

We just build different things. But Obama's appointed administration filed a lawsuit to close down my plant, that plans to have 5,000 employees.

Its been settled, unions were starting to play their puppet games.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
It's a nice production facility. This expansion is great news. Thier new IPP building was built with future expansions in mind, so another 300 jobs will start thru the temp service at a rate of at least 15 an hour. One thing to remember is that South Carolina cost of living is far cheaper than those northern union States with thier over priced gas, fuel, homes, utilities, and food.
100% of all BMW vehicles and BMW owned company products (Mini cooper, for example) come thru the Spartanburg plant facility. Thier test grounds/ performance center is second to none!
The Hyundai plant here in Alabama is nice too, and it's HUGE. I'll admit I'm not a Hyundai fan (yet), but I hope they do well to provide jobs for the people of my state.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:13 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,501,954 times
Quote:
These jobs pay around $17-18 per hour plus benefits, I don't call that "cheap" labor, especially for doing factory work.

Sure, that's less than the northern union states, but its a choice of slightly lower pay, or no job at all. Most of these southern auto plants also have thousands of applications from people up north looking for work.
Cheaper than the Motherland back in the EU. That is for certain.

As I think was alluded to, I wonder if the Germans are picking over their jobs and 35-hour weeks leaving home...or if BMW profits were leaving the country. Heck, Americans gripe over Asian automaker profits when the Big 3 weren't making a dime in the black for quite some time...priorities, I reckon.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 PM

63 posts, read 155,121 times
Support American Jobs! Buy foreign!

/ we've always been at war with EastAsia

Old 01-23-2012, 05:39 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,308 times
Quote:
The Hyundai plant here in Alabama is nice too
...and the Subaru plant in Indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI