Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 07:48 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,961 times

Advertisements

Looking to purchase my first new house (not used). I am only allowed to choose between Caldwell or Nampa, due to cost. Both cities have similar home prices. Which city is better, safer, better value for my money, schools, air quality, people, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 PM

679 posts, read 811,897 times
If I were to buy in Canyon County, I would look for something that has good access to the interstate without having to drive through town. The new Karcher road interchange has really opened Nampa up and made it much more accessable. Theres lots of new shopping there as well.
I guess that means something North of I-84/

As for safety, schools, people,etc.... They're about the same in my opinion. Its all what you make of it.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM

238 posts, read 863,330 times
As far as the newer subdivisions go there is little difference between Nampa and Caldwell. The two towns have grown together with a mass of subdivisions between the two and all around each. The demographics aren't much different either. You'd do best to do your homework on school districts, then visit and pick a neighborhood in the district you want that's conveniently located for your needs, whatever they may be.

I've got to ask though, why new houses only? There's lots of 'slightly used' homes out there that will be in fully-built neighborhoods that are already landscaped, fenced, etc. Buying new you will likely be waiting quite a while for the neighborhood to mature past the construction/vacant lot phase. I know I wouldn't want to hear construction noise every day for the next couple years, but hey, it's your house.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 AM

424 posts, read 1,379,086 times
I concur that limiting yourself to a new home is not a wise choice, especially since build quality has taken a serious dive in the last 7 years or so (cost cutting with cheaper materials and non-experienced builders). I bought a house last year and had to weigh my options. The thing that concerned me was that I looked at a number of houses that were only 3-4 years old and they were already starting to fall apart (paint peeling on the exterior, sprinklers systems that didn't work, doors that didn't close properly, etc.) The point is that this is the kind of build quality that is going into homes now (at least the "affordable ones"). You also get situations where said affordable builders will mass produce homes and then suddenly slash prices to move excess inventory, so if you don't happen to buy at the right time you get royally screwed on your purchase. I think it's a far better decision to buy an older but well maintained home. Just remember that even if you customize you will still find things you don't like about your home.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
I concur that limiting yourself to a new home is not a wise choice, especially since build quality has taken a serious dive in the last 7 years or so (cost cutting with cheaper materials and non-experienced builders). I bought a house last year and had to weigh my options. The thing that concerned me was that I looked at a number of houses that were only 3-4 years old and they were already starting to fall apart (paint peeling on the exterior, sprinklers systems that didn't work, doors that didn't close properly, etc.) The point is that this is the kind of build quality that is going into homes now (at least the "affordable ones"). You also get situations where said affordable builders will mass produce homes and then suddenly slash prices to move excess inventory, so if you don't happen to buy at the right time you get royally screwed on your purchase. I think it's a far better decision to buy an older but well maintained home. Just remember that even if you customize you will still find things you don't like about your home.
Yes, you're right. Many things made today don't last as long as the older ones. I notice that Caldwell is 1-3% cheaper than Nampa. Could it just be farther away from Boise, so homes cost less at Caldwell?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM

238 posts, read 863,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
I notice that Caldwell is 1-3% cheaper than Nampa. Could it just be farther away from Boise, so homes cost less at Caldwell?
Yes, this is pretty much the rule of thumb for the entire valley. Prices in Nampa even decline the further west you go.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,086 times
@waltchan what are the specs (ie square footage, bedroom, baths, garage) and price range you are looking for on a house? You might find that Meridian and West Boise are more affordable than you might think. If schools are a consideration then you definitely need to look into this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area