Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,473 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Victor (and love it here!). I frequently have to fly for work and the two closest airports, Idaho Falls and Jackson Hole, are very expensive. The cost difference is enough that I generally have to drive to SLC or Boise for my flights. Obviously, adding a 4.5 to 5.5 hour drive to each end of every trip is not efficient for the company and, frankly, it just sucks.

My boss wants me to relocate to SLC; however, I have spent enough time there (and in surrounding areas) to know that I don't want to live there and that I wouldn't be happy. Besides, I've really come to like Idaho and want to stay here. I'm trying to put together a proposal to convince my boss to let me relocate to the Boise area.

Since my experience in that part of the state is basically limited to the airport, I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

1. I'm not a summer person. My dogs are not summer dogs. We like cool summers and snow in the winter. Is there an area within about an hour of the airport that doesn't get the super hot summers and does get at least a fair amount of snow in the winter?

2. I spend enough time in cities and don't want to live in one. Victor is actually the most populous town I've ever lived in. Are there rural towns with low population density, again, within about an hour of the airport?

3. I'll be renting and would like to keep rent below $900/mo, including utilities. I'm currently paying substantially more than that, but have a 4br/2ba house between Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole. I'm hoping less tourist-oriented areas will be more reasonable. I don't need anything fancy. A 2br/1ba house would be fine. My only requirements are that my dogs are allowed and I can get DSL for work. Will $900/mo get me that?

Thanks for any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 08:29 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
Wilderness Ranch & Idaho City Area come to mind. These places are NE of Boise and probably have the quickest access to the airport. They get more snow in the winter but are still pretty warm in the summer, keep in mind 100 degree temps in Boise aren't that unusual. I'm not sure you will find many rentals in these areas.

More scenic areas that are a little further include Garden Valley and Crouch and further north is Cascade which has a failed ski resort so perhaps there would be some cheap and nice rentals there.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks, I'll look at those areas.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 PM

100 posts, read 233,507 times
In my opinion, you are definitely not going to make it in to the airport in an hour if you live in Cascade. Be sure to ask about road access when you look in the Crouch and Idaho City areas. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
Agreed. Cascade is further and you also have to add in driving through Boise traffic depending on day/time.

Any of these places can be difficult in winter but since "tdna" is from Eastern Idaho I am sure they are familiar with winter driving conditions and road closures.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
My opinon as well, but Garden Valley and Crouch will be the long side of an hour, with a drive across town to the airport, but much more preferable over Idaho City. And snow removal will be an issue in both places as well as Wilderness Ranch.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 AM

I was looking at a map and Horseshoe Bend appears to be within my desired distance. Is that worth adding to the list of places to check out?

I've lived in snowy places my whole life and my dad was a cop, so he made sure we really learned how to drive. Winter driving is definitely not a concern of mine. Unless the issue is never having any snow to drive in .

Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
Distance wise it works. It's not the prettiest place, it's up and over the foothills, but not in the mountains by any stretch of the imagination. I'm Summer temps might be a tad cooler than Boise, but not much. If you want "cooler" summers, you need to be in the trees.

As far as snowy places, I was not referrring to simply driving it, as much as but isssues with (paying for) snow removal and/or having it impact access both into and out of to your place.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Okay, thanks. I definitely want to be near the mountains. I'll cross Horseshoe Bend off the list.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Distance wise it works. It's not the prettiest place, it's up and over the foothills, but not in the mountains by any stretch of the imagination. I'm Summer temps might be a tad cooler than Boise, but not much. If you want "cooler" summers, you need to be in the trees.

As far as snowy places, I was not referrring to simply driving it, as much as but isssues with (paying for) snow removal and/or having it impact access both into and out of to your place.
Are you speaking of Horseshoe Bend? I agree the town itself is not the most attractive as far as buildings, but the area is beautiful and the town is in a tiny valley surrounded by mountains, although dryer there are forested areas within minutes of the town and I have friends who live just north out of the town off of the highway before it gets more narrow along the Payette River. For good or bad there are a fair number of large homes that have popped up between HB and Banks.
The area outside of Horseshoe Bend they live is so beautiful, with lots of forests along the mountains and the Payette River with its trees. There is also a canyon in the mountains next to the town that is very beautiful. I always enjoy the scenic view of all of the mountains and forests from the top of the hill heading down into Horseshoe Bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area