Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 08:01 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times

Advertisements

I am in Boise for work. I got in yesterday from Milwaukee. It is so nice coming into a nice city like Boise from what seemed like miles of ghetto in Milwaukee.

You guys have a great downtown. Very nice, clean, and modern. The people are extremely nice, and the scenery is so of the best I have seen in the country. I am thinking on going to one of the ski resorts. Any close ones? What are the best ones; driving time doesn't really matter.

My company pays for my rental car, gas, and hotel. So those things are taken care of. I am here for a week, and really looking forward to not only seeing this beautiful little city, but southern Idaho as well.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 08:25 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I am in Boise for work. I got in yesterday from Milwaukee. It is so nice coming into a nice city like Boise from what seemed like miles of ghetto in Milwaukee.

You guys have a great downtown. Very nice, clean, and modern. The people are extremely nice, and the scenery is so of the best I have seen in the country. I am thinking on going to one of the ski resorts. Any close ones? What are the best ones; driving time doesn't really matter.

My company pays for my rental car, gas, and hotel. So those things are taken care of. I am here for a week, and really looking forward to not only seeing this beautiful little city, but southern Idaho as well.

Thanks for any advice.
Bogus Basin is the local ski hill and is about 20miles (45minutes) north of downtown. It's actually a pretty good local mountain if you're just looking for a day trip. I'm not sure if today's warm weather hit Bogus, if so, you might be dealing with some crusty snow.

Sun Valley is about 2.5hrs away and has great skiing. If you have time, there will probably be minimal crowds mid-week and this early in the season. Ketchum, the heart of Sun Valley, is a fun resort town. You're probably looking at least an overnight trip if you go this route.

Brundage in McCall is also a 2.5hr drive but I'm not sure if it's open yet. Cool little mountain town but a smaller hill/town than Sun Valley.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:49 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,610 times
Thanks for the kudos! Glad you are enjoying our fair city. It could be fun to make the shorter trip to Bogus and rent a condo up there so you don't have to drive down at the end of the day. You can ski out from the condos and have dinner in the lodge, hot tub soak after a long day. Lots of skiing, very little driving... Pioneer Condos

Old 12-07-2010, 12:21 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,984 times
Generally both Sun Valley and Brundage would be the premier places close to Boise (Bogus is IN boise, but people seem to like the fluffy snow of the other places more)

However Bogus basin is larger than both, and so far this winter have gotten more snow than any of the other resorts. I would definetly take a trip up there! They have some decent snow right now and more in store everyday on the forecast

Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,790 times
Bogus has a little more ski acreage than Sun Valley, but Sun Valley is a much much larger resort in every other respect. Bogus is impressive because it such a local resort, missing the tudes found at other resorts and has a diamond in her crown for being one of the closest ski resorts to a major city.

I love night skiing at Bogus, looking down on the lights in the valley is beautiful. Day skiing is also as rewarding with the views of the mountains and wilderness behind Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area