Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,826 times

Advertisements

I am sorry I posted wrong. I wanted to say is Idaho ever going to change the right to work law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
I doubt it. Anti-unionism is way to big in Idaho. If anything I see the law getting strengthened.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:42 PM

278 posts, read 906,562 times
Which is good. Most of the states without such a law have the entire government workforce unionized with ridiculous obligations (benefits, pensions, etc.) not commonly available in the private sector. Right-to-work laws reduce the power of the labor-political complex to impose ever-increasing taxes to pay for ever-increasing benefits to government employees. For examples see California or Illinois.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 AM

424 posts, read 1,379,507 times
There has to be some kind of happy-medium. I concur that Idaho's Right To Work mentality is a bit extreme, however I am very thankful that we aren't in the position of Illinois or California right now. They have so many forced benefits/perks for people that they are in serious trouble.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM

114 posts, read 288,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
There has to be some kind of happy-medium. I concur that Idaho's Right To Work mentality is a bit extreme, however I am very thankful that we aren't in the position of Illinois or California right now. They have so many forced benefits/perks for people that they are in serious trouble.
May want to do some homework before slamming all Gov. workers....some do earn their pay and benefits. Cal Pers accounts for about 4% of the States budget. Now look at welfare and social programs and come back with your findings. They have a spending problem far outweighing any damage public pensions are solely doing....
Sorry if I am lashing out a bit, but just because "the private sector" is hurting does not make it right for them to whine about and slam those that took another career path (which seems like the trendy thing to do since 2008). You don't see Gov. workers slamming the private sector when thay are rolling in the dough and investments are in the double digits...it's a gamble we all entered into knowing the risks????

Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 PM

44 posts, read 92,705 times
Hi all, I totally agree with Cyclingfan. My husband and I are retired and still in California, due to move to your state sometime in May 2011. My entire work life has been California, starting work in the private sector, ending retirement with CalPers 3 years ago. We also owned a large restaurant (before working for the state) in the private sector. So we experienced, by choice, to own our own business. It was very tough, financially to keep this business going in the economy California is in. Our kids were still at home then, and we had no Medical for them or us. So, by choice, after testing, I was picked up to work for the Government. Again, this was our choice. We eventually sold our restaurant, by choice, to elect working where the benefits fit all our family needs. Now our kids are grown and gone, both working for the Government. As I said earlier, we are retired, and thank god we still have all those benefits from the government (CalPers) as I had a back surgerie that failed to the point I am unable to work ever again. So, no need to "brow-beat" the Government/Union's. It is a choice we all have, and I for one, back these entidies...........Have a great day everyone.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM

278 posts, read 906,562 times
It's funny that CalPERS was brought up. That organization is underfunded by $500 BILLION dollars over the next 16 years... who's gonna pick up the tab for that? Of course, that IOU is guarded by unions who will demand taxpayers (read: the private sector) be soaked until they get theirs. Even if it means every business is forced to close or leave the state... it's not like this script hasn't played out before all over the rust belt.

I personally believe states like Idaho (where such ridiculousness is less viable) are at an advantage in the coming times of economic stagnation. Less government and higher global competitiveness is the answer and the right-to-work law helps facilitate that. Hopefully the hordes of ex-Californians don't get together to try to change the law and recreate the paradise they were so happy to leave!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
I can't say I really get the "I hate California and want to move to Idaho" then speak positively about a program like CalPers.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:21 AM

44 posts, read 92,705 times
in reference to boi2socal, who stated they "hated California" or stated we are so happy to leave cali and "recreate the paradise we left? Being retired, we are a couple who has made the choice to move back home to Idaho, where a great many of our relatives still live. I was raised in Burley ID, and moved to Cali in my 20's, whom at the time offered a career for me that ID did not.

I suppose it also depends on "what side of the fence you are on". Ultamately, it is all a choice/decision we have the right to make. Doesn't mean anyone dislikes one state over another or intend to "change things". We personally, are a quiet happy couple, who has made the right choices in life to be able to return home (Id), and live out what little amount of years we have left on this earth. Have a great happy & healthy new year everyone..........

Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM

341 posts, read 1,019,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
It's funny that CalPERS was brought up. That organization is underfunded by $500 BILLION dollars over the next 16 years... who's gonna pick up the tab for that? Of course, that IOU is guarded by unions who will demand taxpayers (read: the private sector) be soaked until they get theirs. Even if it means every business is forced to close or leave the state... it's not like this script hasn't played out before all over the rust belt.

I personally believe states like Idaho (where such ridiculousness is less viable) are at an advantage in the coming times of economic stagnation. Less government and higher global competitiveness is the answer and the right-to-work law helps facilitate that. Hopefully the hordes of ex-Californians don't get together to try to change the law and recreate the paradise they were so happy to leave!
Whoever you are Zedd, you're a wise person who speaks the truth.
And yes the public unions will be looking to the private sector to bail them out. Mind you not directly, they expect Obama to do it thru the US Treasury,
but same thing as all tax receipts basically are origionated in the private sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area