Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM

804 posts, read 2,891,485 times

Advertisements

I saw that you were confused on the tax issue. Just because you buy it in Colorado you will not pay Colorado taxes. You will pay Idaho taxes to the dealer you buy it from. The tax rate is dependent on the County you live in. So yes you only pay Idaho sales tax.
We just bought a vehicle in Oregon and went through the same situation. It is not that bad. You contact your local DMV and find out the vehicle tax rate then relay that information to the dealership and they charge you that tax. Once you inform the dealer of the tax you need to be charged for Idaho let them handle the rest of the work, it's their job. Any bigger dealer deals with out of state buyers on a daily basis.
Since you do not live in Colorado you can not register the vehicle there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 AM

898 posts, read 827,555 times
I've bought a couple vehicles from out of state but not because they're cheaper, it was availability of the specific vehicles. I cannot believe if you're looking for a generic vehicle you cannot get a good deal in Boise. Up to you but the nuisance factor is high and a problem with a dealer out of state screws you unless the dealer is saintly.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 PM

26 posts, read 90,803 times
Thanks for all the replies. I am getting close to buying the car in Denver. Here are a few remaining comments/replies to earlier posts.

First, I am buying a new car, so any issues with used cars are a non-issue. Second, I am buying from an car dealer that I know of through reputation, so am not too worried about any shady deals.

I asked the local Boise dealers if they could match the prices, and they weren't even willing to try. Here are the quotes I got :

2011 Forester Limited
Invoice : $26,600

Shortline Subaru (Denver area)
$24,707 + $499 doc fees

Boise dealer :
$26,321 + $299 doc fees

Dealers in Seattle
$25,000 + $200 doc fees (close to $25200 is what I remember).

Flight to Denver $100.

So, based on this limited experience, it seems that Boise dealers simply do not have the manufacturers incentives to be able to offer much below invoice prices.

And I don't have the salary to justify paying $1500 more!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:59 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,587 times
I'm sure they get the incentives. Seattle and Denver probably have three times the Subaru dealerships, dealers compete for customers, driving down prices. In Boise you have a smaller population and you're hundreds of miles from a "big city". Most people aren't going to take the time or trouble to travel out of state. Bottom line, they can get away with higher prices.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,243 times
Having lived in Seattle, I can tell you there are at least 10 Subaru dealers within easy driving distance. Here, there's one in Boise and one in Nampa. So there's less motivation for them to deal.

Last edited by Hesster; 02-14-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM

61 posts, read 254,781 times
We just bought a 2010 4runner from CA. Not only was this car (with the particular things we wanted) not really available here, it was $7,000 cheaper to buy in CA vs. dealerships closer.

The Toyota dealership in CA tried to get us to pay CA sales tax. They said it was illegal to sell without paying it. Yeah right. Don't let them tell you this. We refused b/c CA sales tax is 10% vs. Idaho's 6%. This is how the tax works. If you take possession of the car in Colorado, you WILL have to pay sales tax (most likely...I've heard of the occasional dealership letting it slide, but really legally you pay sales tax where you take possession of the car.) However, when you go to register in ID, it will say on the bill of sale that you paid the tax, and you will get credit for paying that amount.

Here's where it gets tricky. If CO sales tax is less (4% vs. 6%), you will owe the 2% difference to the DMV. If CO sales tax is MORE (10% vs. 6%) you will get credit for the 6% but will NOT get a refund of the extra 4% you paid.

This is why we refused to pay CA tax...we were going to pay 10% tax (about $3800), and then not have to pay in Idaho. We would only get credit for about $2400 in Idaho though (the 6% owed), and eat the extra $1400.

The only way you can get around this is by having the car shipped, or have the dealer drive the car to a state line where you meet them and take possession (this actually does happen sometimes). Chances are though you either pay CO tax (which is not a big deal if it is equal to or less than ID tax) or ship the car. We shipped our car, it cost about $400 and got here the next day. $400 was worth it for the $1600 tax savings and $7000 overall savings.

Anyway, these are things to find out and negotiate with the dealer prior to signing anything. It took us 3 weeks to have Toyota lawyers finally realize if we were shipping the car we didn't have to pay CA sales tax. Maybe it's just CA and their budget crisis, but it took a lot of ultimatums and threats of walking away before they gave in.

Registering and paying tax was easy. Just make sure you have title and bill of sale.

I feel bad I can't support local dealerships, but I refuse to do so at a cost of $7000.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM

61 posts, read 254,781 times
Also, Denver to Boise is a drive we do a lot (my parents live there). It can be fine, or terrible. Just check the weather. If it's snowy/windy, I-80 can close and you get stranded between Green River and Cheyenne. I-70/I-15 is the prettier drive but goes through canyons and if it's icy can be a little treacherous. If weather's ok it's not a bad drive...on the I-70 route SLC is close to half way and a nice break point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area