Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times

Advertisements

Boise reminds me a lot like Tucson when I lived there, you either worked the university or one of the hospitals and made decent money, owned your own business, or worked for a local company making $10-$14 an hour. The most successful people that I know in Boise are ones that telecommute and could live anywhere in the country, but chose Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 03:58 PM

69 posts, read 239,017 times
Don't worry. The market will improve soon.

As the bankruptcies, foreclosures, layoffs and business closures continue to rise, all of us financially destroyed half-dead souls will be leaving Boise to find a way to crawl out of the gutter and feel human again. With the reduced population there will be job opportunities again.

Sounds dramatic... but true in my opinion.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 AM

The job that I am in now would pay me $20-$30,000 more a year in any larger metro area. Thinking about sucking it up for the next 15-20 years, move out of town, get back on my feet financially and keep Boise on the short list of cities to retire to.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 AM

64 posts, read 132,227 times
That is a huge difference If the cost of living is close to the same and you could sock away the difference you would be set for a great retirement

But.....you would have to live in a large metro.
But you could bank a lot of $$$

Tough decision. At least you have the option to get a good paying job.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
The job that I am in now would pay me $20-$30,000 more a year in any larger metro area. Thinking about sucking it up for the next 15-20 years, move out of town, get back on my feet financially and keep Boise on the short list of cities to retire to.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Probably end up back in Arizona and the cost of living in Phoenix is only about 10% more than it is in Idaho.

Talked to somebody who is in purchasing with a large company based here in Boise and he told me that he can't remember the last time that he met with a sales rep that was based in Idaho. All the sales reps that he meets with seem to come from Salt Lake, Denver, Portland and Seattle. So if I want to get back into a decent sales job I will have to move.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 15,719 times
minikin,
STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!!!
You cannot, I repeat cannot replace your cushy govt job. The job market.... well I dont know of any other time in history to describe it.....maybe 1930's??? The 1980's were bad but as a percentage of population this is far worse. Unless you have or are unemployed right now you have NO WAY to know how bad it is. It is NOTHING like the job market of 1990's. People are HOPING just to get ONE job interview. I repeat ONE INTERVIEW! Not a job just one interview.
Your hubby has 10 year experience but in boise it is not even close to enough. He need 20+ years experience, that is what his competition has and is willing to make straight wage, no benefits of any kind.
He may want to get on the union books and start being a travelling electrician. Not fun but its a job.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 PM

minikin,
About your hard times. Do not pull money out of the IRA or 401k.
Let the house go and file bankruptcy if you absolutely have too, usually 401k/IRA cannot be touched in a bankruptcy.
Live in a motorhome and survive if you need too, rents are getting cheap, live with friends, family.
Lots of wonderful people emptied 401ks/IRAs thinking they would make it but instead are bankrupt, have no 401k, no house and no job. And have to start all over when they get a job.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Things really never improve in Boise; too few jobs, too little turnover, too much competition.

I think it will only get worse when "things get better" because more people from around the country will try to move in here.

I don't mean to be bleak, but Boise (in my opinion) has always been a place where people work down, not move up or work what they usually work.

I know for a fact construction is still hurting - I have two friends working in Twin Falls and Rexburg and having to do that weekly commute thing. However, I do know that they're hiring electricians here... my friend just got hired two months ago, though it's supposedly only for a "clean up" position and at $10/hour.

Boisefan88 is right on. Boise is a great place to see if you can survive. If you can survive here then you will make it in 49 other states just fine.
The competition is fierce and desperate here, always has been that way.
Literally anyone can start any company, big or small, very few restrictions. So quess what happens? Everyone does.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,337 times
I think most people move here expecting to find a job. If this board is any indication, that seems to be the case. In fact, very few posters (if any) that I see ever have a job in hand.

There was also the equity rich, but those are less an issue now.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,776 times
[quote=Bosnian;18067932]
Quote:
Things really never improve in Boise; too few jobs, too little turnover, too much competition.

I think it will only get worse when "things get better" because more people from around the country will try to move in here

Why should people be moving in to a metro area like Boise, from around the country, if they will be having a hard time finding employment?
Jobs is what brings MOST people moving into a certain area. Less jobs, less people moving in, with more people moving out to other places with better employment opportunities. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area