Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 PM

58 posts, read 194,072 times

Advertisements

Is it practical to have fake grass put in my backyard-I am moving to Canyon County???? I have been told that the rain may affect this-and it might not be a good decision....can anyone weigh in on this???? I don't live in the area right now....................Thanks. Where would I get this fake grass?????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaHoeHotPotatoe View Post
Is it practical to have fake grass put in my backyard-I am moving to Canyon County???? I have been told that the rain may affect this-and it might not be a good decision....can anyone weigh in on this???? I don't live in the area right now....................Thanks. Where would I get this fake grass?????????????????

Fake grass? Yuck. Why would anyone want it? It's great for baseball and football fields. Otherwise, it's just hideous.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,405 times
To avoid watering and mowing the lawn sounds pretty good to me. If I had the money I would do it in my back yard (Definitely not the front though).

Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 AM

I am purchasing a home that has the front yard tended by the HOA and is beautiful. The back has suffered for over two years-it is full of russian thistles-and I am being told that I should probably have all the grass killed to get rid of the thistles, and then replant new grass. The area is not too big-therefore, I was wondering if artificial turf/grass would work in this area-but I do not know since I am not from the area.
@mysticaltyger~everyone is entitled to their own opinion-you have yours. They have many new types of artificial grass on the market now-and this might be a good option for me. I am older and a caretaker for my mother, so the ease of care would be much appreciated.
Does anyone in the Boise area know of any artificial grass/turf companies they could recommend???? Thanks!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
I am purchasing a home that has the front yard tended by the HOA and is beautiful. The back has suffered for over two years-it is full of russian thistles-and I am being told that I should probably have all the grass killed to get rid of the thistles, and then replant new grass. The area is not too big-therefore, I was wondering if artificial turf/grass would work in this area-but I do not know since I am not from the area.
@mysticaltyger~everyone is entitled to their own opinion-you have yours. They have many new types of artificial grass on the market now-and this might be a good option for me. I am older and a caretaker for my mother, so the ease of care would be much appreciated.
Does anyone in the Boise area know of any artificial grass/turf companies they could recommend???? Thanks!
The low maintenance sounds nice but how do you get rid of the goose ****?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
As an alterative, there may also be some good options in different kinds of fescue grasses. While I don't know much about them, I do know that there are grass variety options to using Kentucky Bluegrass that do not have the watering and mowing requirements.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 AM

I am now being told that the thistles are Canada Thistle, not Russian.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 AM

139 posts, read 384,664 times
Check with the CC&R's as some fake lawns are prohibited. The Idaho Green Expo (5/14 & 5/15) is going to have many classes about organic lawns and landscapes and other alternatives to lawns. I commend your willingness to separate yourself from the normal thinking that homes must have natural lawns. The only thing "green" about grass is its color.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 AM

44 posts, read 92,671 times
Quote:

Our son and family lives in Carson City, NV. He has the fake grass in both front and back yard. It was already there when they purchased the home. He has been there for over 3 years now. The fake grass has went through all types of weather, including snow. It still looks very nice. It's kind of funny that in the winter, he still has "grass", and the neighbors do not. It makes us think about doing the same thing. The yard always looks nice. They even have a dog in the back yard. I don't want to think what the dog could be doing to the fake grass, but it still looks nice.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 PM

47 posts, read 107,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGray View Post
The only thing "green" about grass is its color.
I hear covering your front yard with a manufactured petroleum product that doesn't produce any oxygen or consume CO2 is a great alternative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area