Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 PM

93 posts, read 474,107 times

Advertisements

i read on this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/boise...e-boise-2.html that a nuclear reactor was going up outside of the city? anyone have details?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,896,197 times
It won't happen, it was supposed to go in outside of Payette, that's almost an hour west of Boise. The people here don't want it because the power would be sent out of state. There is also supposed to be one out near Bruno, but that one is years and years away, and I doubt it will ever be built either.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,218,746 times
I believe the one in Payette was cancelled, thought I caught that on the news somewhere.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,098,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
I believe the one in Payette was cancelled, thought I caught that on the news somewhere.
I heard the same.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:40 PM

93 posts, read 474,107 times
thanks for the scoop! personally, i'm glad to hear it!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,218,746 times
I meant to post this earlier and forgot, here's the article.

Payette nuclear plant proposal fizzles | News Updates | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/277514.html - broken link)

Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 PM

310 posts, read 1,283,952 times
people get so paranoid when they hear about nuclear power plants being near them. They are a very safe and clean form of energy production. I would MUCH rather live next door to a nuclear power plant than I would to a coal power plant.

There has only been one nuclear power plant disaster and that was run by a shoddy government. Three Mile Island released hardly any radiation and hasn't caused an increase in cancer deaths within the area of radiation exposure. The radiation that was released was equivalent to people getting a chest x-ray.

People should be more concerned about the burning of coal than they are about nuclear energy.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 PM

278 posts, read 908,330 times
There is another nuclear plant proposed near Bruneau, ID, that is still in the permitting phase. It seems like it actually has some chance of actually happening, unlike the one proposed near Payette.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 AM

26,457 posts, read 46,728,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
people get so paranoid when they hear about nuclear power plants being near them. They are a very safe and clean form of energy production. I would MUCH rather live next door to a nuclear power plant than I would to a coal power plant.

There has only been one nuclear power plant disaster and that was run by a shoddy government. Three Mile Island released hardly any radiation and hasn't caused an increase in cancer deaths within the area of radiation exposure. The radiation that was released was equivalent to people getting a chest x-ray.

People should be more concerned about the burning of coal than they are about nuclear energy.
I agree. The Midwest is especially notorious for relying heavily on coal plants for producing electricity. Some of the big coal states would include:
Ohio
Kentucky
Illinois
Missouri
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
A carbon tax could be looming in the near future, and ratepayers in those states could be impacted due to the heavy reliance on coal.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:22 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,563,006 times
nuke energy works. china syndrome lied, thanks a lot jane fonda. france is
energy independent does not need to have a war every 10 years, nor make its enemies rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area