Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,133 times

Advertisements

There's more to my question than a simple "How welcomed are out of staters?". I've been to Boise 4 times over the last 2 years and really really love the area, the classic feel of the city, and would like to be able to live in a city, like Boise, that I'd be proud to help preserve the quality of life in.

My question is to out of towners who have relocated and locals both.
In Seattle, my hometown, we had a huge influx of Californians moving here about 20 years ago and we had a bit of reluctance and resentment toward them. That's not a fair blanket statement but the sentiment was definitely that we didn't want them to mess up what we had.
So as locals.......how welcomed are out of towners, such as your new influx of Californians? Also........to out of staters who have relocated to Boise, how welcomed have you been and how have you enjoyed your move so far?

This is a fairly general question........but my friends in TriCities WA always make liberal Seattle hippy jokes about how they have a little pocket of heaven, in their city, and don't want people exploiting it and ruining it for them.

Please, ramble on...........share your feelings, concerns about having your city ruined by non-locals, etc.

Thanks for reading and I thank you, in advance, for your time and responses.

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Moved here 5 years ago and have only heard 1-2 negative comments since coming here. If I had California plates it might be a different story. Pretty common to see Washington plates and lots of locals have friends and family that live in Washington so nobody assumes you just moved here to import your hippy nonsense.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:39 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,931 times
I really wouldn't worry about it, the venom you read online about out-of-staters/Californians is rarely expressed in person. However, in general I've noticed that the locals are friendly but somewhat clique. I've heard this echoed by others in person and on this forum. It's pretty common to see what I guess is best described as very small town social circles; basically the same group of friends migrate in lock-step from high school, to college, and then out to the burbs.

I've lived here for a few years and most all my friends are transplants. There are plenty of people in your same position, so don't worry about it too much so long as you're willing to put yourself out there.

Your results may vary and I'm sure much of it has to do with where you live and work.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Would agree about the locals and their cliques, been here 5 years and most of my friends are transplants. Tough to break into a social circle that's been around for 20-30+ years.

One of the pastors at my church commented that our church in Boise is the friendliest place he has been at anywhere in the country, but after 7 years here he still doesn't have any really close friends. So people here are very friendly, yet stand off-ish at the same time.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,578 times
I've said this before and I'll repeat it: people in Boise are very isolated and not very outgoing. Friendly, yes. Ironically some of my best friends are from California (I'm a life long Idahoan) as most of my oldest friends have long ago moved from Boise. They're just easier to meet and become friends with.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 PM

405 posts, read 1,281,311 times
I'm in the same boat as you. I am an Oregoanian refugee, leaving Portland and moving to Boise. I've had nothing but friendliness from the locals. Being a long-term Oregon resident, actually people seem to be extra-friendly to me. Actually, I've been impressed with how welcoming people have been to me, as an Oregonian to Idaho. If somebody from Idaho wanted to move to Oregon, people would give him nothing but dirty stares or just not care at all. Most native residents in Oregon don't want any outsiders in their state. I think Idahoans are friendlier. They just didn't like what Californians were doing.

Really, considering WA and OR border Idaho, there is so many Idahoans who live there and vice versa that I am surprise it ever be an issue. Heck, when I was in Idaho, there was more OR and WA plates than any other, except Idaho, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66
Would agree about the locals and their cliques, been here 5 years and most of my friends are transplants. Tough to break into a social circle that's been around for 20-30+ years.

One of the pastors at my church commented that our church in Boise is the friendliest place he has been at anywhere in the country, but after 7 years here he still doesn't have any really close friends. So people here are very friendly, yet stand off-ish at the same time.
Welcome to the West Coast. Heck, most of the west coast, people are not super friendly and outgoing. People are more reserved and keep to themselves. The only way to make friends is to continually be around the same people over and over. You have to become a familiar face and try to fit your way in.

I sometimes tend to just bust my way into social circles, get the dirty looks and stares and gradually and humbly try to befriend the people in the group. Even though I've been too busy to make friends, as I work like 12+ hours day, I have a feeling this tactic is the way to make friends. Sooner or later you will click with somebody and they will want to be friends with you. Once you make that friend you network and you get closer with others.

I don't know the science, but you have to break through the little bubbles people put themselves in before they can open to you. I find just treated everyone like they are your friend, even if it pisses them off, will sooner or later earn you respect and friendship from people.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:32 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,244 times
I agree with the thoughts about friends v. friendliness in Boise. I would add... I think it's because more people are withdrawn and dedicated to their home lives, whether they have families or not. People seem to have acquaintances and people they do stuff with, but the friendship seems to be limited to that.

For instance, I have a number of rafting buddies, but for whatever reason that's all we do together. We don't seem to have BBQs together or invite each other to weddings, birthday parties, holidays, etc. I don't know what, it just happens that way.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:50 PM

23 posts, read 77,322 times
Hey LeavingSeattleASAP. Good question here...I think people too often focus on the scenery and economics of a move and don't factor in PEOPLE. It's important!
I lived in Boise for about a year, and had moved from another bordering northern state (MT), like yourself. I have to agree with those who said Boise folks are somewhat cliquish. Boiseans are very superficially friendly to everyone but difficult to forge real friendships with. After living there for a year, I never really felt like "part of the scene" with any of the locals, although people are very friendly for the most part. I too made friendships with mostly transplants. To be fair, I do think that's common in any city that you're not a native of, whether Boise or New York. Transplants tend to flock together.
All of that being said, I think you should go for it if Boise is where you want to be. I know all about the famous "Seattle Freeze"(whether that's true or not), so I imagine the Boise style won't seem that odd to you. I don't think anyone will give you flack for being from Seattle either, as the whole state of ID has pretty strong family/cultural/economic ties to both WA and OR. I worked with at least 3 people who had lived in Seattle or had family in that area.
I think every area has certain characteristics that one should take into account, but much of your own personal success will still come from "what you make of it." I made some great friends in Boise, including Idahoans, and I'm sure you will too if you put yourself out there!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,670,747 times
One thing to keep in mind is that transplants from WA, OR, or CA, actually help the Boise area. They add population, and yes, while jobs are scarce, any newcomer will ultimately add to the economy.

Should someone move here without a job? No way.

Should someone move here expecting an environment just like Seattle, Portland, or the southland area? Absolutely not.

Move to Boise with the idea that this area is not W. Washington, or S. Califronia. Roll with the changes, and you will be fine.

And yes, get those plates changed ASAP.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,687 times
Most of the complaints I have heard about are about the SoCal transplants, and even then usually it is more of the usual wise-crack comment then something truly insulting. Haven't heard any comments or complaints about folks from Washington or Oregon (other than maybe how they drive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area