Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 03:13 PM

236 posts, read 195,813 times

Advertisements

lesly38~ I can totally agree with your perspective and have experienced this same thing a number of times (I moved here in 2013). I wonder if it has more to do with how isolated our American society has become. No longer do people seem to make much of an effort to meet publicly to share a meal, do activities together, hang out over coffee, get to know each other as our society once did. I remember for example, yrs ago in Chicago, my eastern european family and lots of friends always met weekly for meals or just to "shoot the breeze" over coffee and many came who were considered strangers at first. Its just my opinion and I dont expect everyone to agree but I see a general climate of reluctance to reach out to new people anymore- unless its through stuff like kid sports, kid activities, planned school activities, etc. I stopped asking some of the gals I have met if they want to meet up anymore. Probably a bit easier if I was in a couple situation? Not sure. Wish I had a better answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 11:01 PM

57 posts, read 117,962 times
I tend to agree with your assessment about it being about society, maybe not so much just Boise. I have lived in Calif, Utah (north and south) and Canada. My only long-term friends are from years growing up, ppl I have stayed in contact with. I have made 1 friend outside of those childhood friends from a job. We had mutual hate for our boss and bonded on that! Otherwise, I try and forge new friendships and only seem to make small-talk friends. Not ones you call when you need a hug or to talk about big life events. Those calls go to the people I met in my 20s (I'm early 50s now).

I was considering ID as my next move, as I feel very isolated in Utah... I'm not part of the church and in 5 years have not made many friends (nor have my kids, bless their hearts). Now I'm just wondering if there is really anywhere we can go to forge friendships!

Old 02-23-2018, 11:06 PM

I would guess most people don't call to get a hug. How silly!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:46 PM

236 posts, read 195,813 times
exi-cali ~ I knew what you meant! I think we are all dealing with the electronic age which separates us from one another more and more. I grew up in Orange County in the 70's and boy do I miss the days when we spent our down time talking and hanging out without cell phones or internet! It was so peaceful and people seemed to enjoy each other alot more....now I sound old! Thats probably because I am;-(

Old 03-05-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
I grew up in Orange County in the 70's and boy do I miss the days when we spent our down time talking and hanging out without cell phones or internet! It was so peaceful and people seemed to enjoy each other alot more....now I sound old! Thats probably because I am;-(
I grew up in 70s OC too! We played outside, remember? Rode our bikes over to someone's house, played 4 square, dodge ball, yeah, the good old days. My kids are only 7 but I have not started down the path of electronics, I know I can't keep it that way forever...

Old 03-06-2018, 09:01 AM

355 posts, read 565,075 times
I agree with the above two posts. I think it's critical to get our kids playing outside with their friends the way we used to when we were kids. With electronics these days, kids IM each other when they're within talking distance, often sit around the house playing games and don't learn social skills.

Summers are a great time, if work permits, to say, "Get outside and go play. Use your imagination."

Old 03-06-2018, 06:53 PM

209 posts, read 316,705 times
Goldenwings and Exi-cali, count me in your grew up in the OC in the 70s club.

I've made some great friends as an adult through work. I'm hoping to find friends in Boise through volunteer work, maybe a book club, and political activity. I think if you join groups with common interests you can find friends. At least, that's what I hope. I've never been one for clubs and groups, but I thought I'd give it a shot as a retiree since I won't be able to meet anyone at work.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 PM

I am thinking once I get settled (my house goes on market in 2 weeks and hoping to be looking in Boise area very soon) I would like to start a Meetup group. Maybe this would be a great place to point people to the group, those looking to make new friends or connections.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:19 PM

731 posts, read 958,710 times
I grew up in the OC and South Bay area of SoCal in the 60's and 70's. Was GREAT back then!

There are a number of Meetup groups in Boise that are geared toward meeting new people; Boise Baby Boomers, Boise Movie Fans, Boise Area Singles, dogs groups, hiking groups, etc. I haven't seen a California Expat group yet, and you might get whacked over the head for creating one, but I would join! ;-)

Old 03-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
I grew up in the OC and South Bay area of SoCal in the 60's and 70's. Was GREAT back then!

There are a number of Meetup groups in Boise that are geared toward meeting new people; Boise Baby Boomers, Boise Movie Fans, Boise Area Singles, dogs groups, hiking groups, etc. I haven't seen a California Expat group yet, and you might get whacked over the head for creating one, but I would join! ;-)
ha!! I would not call it that, it would be more covert.

New to the Area, um, I Love Boise, um, New Friends Club -
y'know I also lived in Canada and had to 'hide' my California roots, soon as I mentioned that I was from there originally they shut down. Sad we have to be so ashamed of where we grew up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area