Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM

312 posts, read 732,742 times

Advertisements

Great news Vince! Enjoy your holidays and Boise!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 AM

69 posts, read 273,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Great news Vince! Enjoy your holidays and Boise!!!
I wish I could, but I'll be staying back here for Christmas. My wife and I have been separated before (both prior Air Force) so we know what it's like not being home or together for the holidays. We've both decided to save some money so that's the way things are for now. I hope you enjoy yours! Thank God for 'skype'!! At least I get to see them all everyday via video!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 AM

312 posts, read 732,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS View Post
I wish I could, but I'll be staying back here for Christmas. My wife and I have been separated before (both prior Air Force) so we know what it's like not being home or together for the holidays. We've both decided to save some money so that's the way things are for now. I hope you enjoy yours! Thank God for 'skype'!! At least I get to see them all everyday via video!
Oh I didn't realize....yes Skype is wonderful! Well soon you will all be together...Take care!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,674 times
Default Considering calling Boise home

My husband and I are pretty tired of the east coast of the good old USA and are thinking Idaho sounds like a good fit for us. I have read several threads here and some things concern me:

1. My husband is a well paid network architect for a major cable company. Basically he designs BIG interent networks for IP traffic, email, etc. It sounds like there may be no work for him out there if there isn't much tech industry around. I have looked and looked and can't find jobs that are a good fit for him.

2. It seems really hard to "get there from here." I can't fly directly to Boise from either Philadelphia or Newark, that is for sure. Do most people just deal with needing a couple of flights to get to Boise? Is it just crazy to fly into Salt Lake City and drive? I am thinking if the speed limit is pretty high it could go pretty fast.

3. I work as a project coordinator for an engineering firm. Hopefully there will jobs in that area out there.

The east coast isn't a nice place to live for the weather and other reasons, but I have never been out of work for any length of time. If we make this move we would sure need to feel secure about job opportunities.

When should we visit in order to experience the worst Boise can throw at us? We want to be very sober about this and not move out there thinking it was Shang-ri-la, you know what I mean?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,759 times
Can your husband do his job remotely? So many people in fields like his are getting permission from their employers to do the same work from a remote location. I know of three people this year who I have worked with who have done this exact thing. Just a thought.

I have a friend who is an engineering project manager in Las Vegas for CH2MHill and I know she has mentioned jobs in the Boise office. You might contact them and see if they have openings. If they don't, perhaps a peer within the company can help you network. I suspect that you are highly employable but I also would guess that some of these jobs get filled behind the scenes.

Yes, getting to Boise is not easy. Sometimes Southwest provides great options but they aren't on all of the major search sites so you do have to check their website directly. Still, getting here from the east coast isn't all that easy.

Come in January or February. It's cold and dreary and grey and if you time things right, you could arrive during an inversion when it's smoggy too. That is the worst of it, in my book. Fortunately, more days are clear than not and winter passes quickly to beautiful springtime.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,674 times
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me on these topics. My husband and I have both, at various times, worked from home/remotely, but companies seem to uncertain about the efficacy often, which means they change their minds! But it certainly is a strong possibility.

And we MAY just come out and see the worst Boise has to throw at us!

Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
One of the reasons I had to put Boise lower on my "retirement" list is that it is isolated from the rest of the world. If you have an entire family with you, that's one thing, but that isn't the case with me. It is very very far to drive to Portland or Salt Lake, and not a real easy drive from what I understand. I think if you're really an outdoorsy person, you could entertain yourself well enough, but if not, it would get old real fast, at least for me it would. I mean, the scenery is beautiful but I'm not much for desert, rocks, etc. If you're coming from a place with a larger population, then it will be an adjustment. Plus it is a college football town....which could be a plus or minus depending on your interest. Everybody is pretty much Boise State crazy there!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 AM

69 posts, read 273,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
One of the reasons I had to put Boise lower on my "retirement" list is that it is isolated from the rest of the world. If you have an entire family with you, that's one thing, but that isn't the case with me. It is very very far to drive to Portland or Salt Lake, and not a real easy drive from what I understand. I think if you're really an outdoorsy person, you could entertain yourself well enough, but if not, it would get old real fast, at least for me it would. I mean, the scenery is beautiful but I'm not much for desert, rocks, etc. If you're coming from a place with a larger population, then it will be an adjustment. Plus it is a college football town....which could be a plus or minus depending on your interest. Everybody is pretty much Boise State crazy there!
Well for our family, Boise is at the top of our retirement list. That's why we bought here. For us it was a step upwards. Our nearest airport is/was El Paso, Tx (100 miles). Our once friendlier town is about 35/40K people, and if you really want desert come here! Summer temps are 95+ and above in the late spring and all the way through August. Since my wife and kids are already living in Boise, she has had nothing but great things to say about it. Everywhere she goes, whether it's the local market, banks, even trying to find a doctor for her father, people have been more than helpful. She says, she's still getting used to the weather change in Boise, since we have very mild winters in southern NM., but that's all minor to the things Boise and the rest of the surrounding areas will have to offer once Springtime comes and we can all enjoy the beauty and green and water (remember we come from the desert). So Boise is like a breath of fresh air for us. We look forward to starting a new chapter in our lives and raising the rest of our 4 boys here. Why, I might even become a 'Bronco' fan!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 AM

232 posts, read 565,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

Boise may seem to be isolated, but in reality you're only one short hop away from multiple major international airports (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Denver).....all of which are less than 2 hours away. We made four trips to Boise to check out the area before I retired, and all of them were very long international trips from the Middle East. Our flights were either Kuwait-WashingtonDC-Seattle-Boise or Kuwait-Dubai-Amsterdam-Seattle-Boise. To be honest, having that short layover in Seattle allowed us to freshen up, stretch out legs by walking around, get a bite to eat, and then board the final 1-hour flight to Boise. We would arrive in Boise feeling much, much better than we did when we arrived in Seattle from overseas. Flying into Portland or SLC and driving to Boise would be a total waste of time to avoid a brief commuter flight.

Big cities may have some advantages over one the size of Boise, but they also have some pretty major disadvantages. If you like the high-pressure pace of life in a big city, then by all means live in one of them. However, if you are looking for a somewhat slower pace -- sort of like the difference between working fulltime and changing to retirement -- then Boise really deserves a good look. Also, it's not all high desert country around here. Less than an hour away are forest-covered mountains, some snow-capped for a large part of the year, that offer an entirely different experience than the high desert country.

This is just my $.02 worth. YMMV

Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM

78 posts, read 194,425 times
Currently trying to convince my wife and kids to leave Texas and come to Boise. I am tired of the rude people that are moving to Austin from EVERYWHERE!! If anybody knows of a busy shop where an Auto Mechanic can support a family, then let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area