Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM

82 posts, read 238,791 times

Advertisements

Hello....considering relocating to Idaho...wondering if anyone has relocated there from Ohio or around...or Texas...and if so...Why? What do you think?
Thanks......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 PM

57 posts, read 116,897 times
Hi
I'm typing this from Ohio (Go Bucks!) but will be relocating in 10 days to Boise. My husband did the 28 hour drive and has been there since early November- he loves sending me pictures of the mountains while I'm hanging out in Columbus... it's just not fair!

We scouted Boise in September and I absolutely, positively fell in love. I'm not sure what part of Ohio you're familiar with but when I described Boise to people I said it is like the best things about Columbus wrapped up into a slightly smaller package. The meals we ate were fantastic, the scenery was out of this world, there's an awesome 'local' vibe from markets to restaurants to just the general 'feel', the people were extremely friendly and helpful and the sun was shining (behind the smoke from the fires, but I digress). Maybe I had my rosy glasses on but I sure as hell loved the city and can't wait to be there permanently.

To answer your 'why' question - short answer is because he interviewed and got a different job with his company that is in Boise. This job was available in other cities but we didn't even consider them, to be honest. I love Columbus and don't have many negative things to say about living here, but we're definitely thrilled to be shaking things up a bit. We have always wanted to live out West and near the mountains in some way - and now we can see them right from our back yard.

I'm sure you'd prefer an experience from someone who is a year or more into their relo but I figured I'd respond anyway

Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 AM

19 posts, read 70,735 times
I love it here and have lived here for 15 years or so. I know one person from texas he seems comfortable and happy here but does mention going back to texas often

Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 AM

82 posts, read 238,791 times
Question housing, taxes, insurance, vehicle registration, utilities, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjax317 View Post
Hi
but will be relocating in 10 days to Boise.
Are you renting? buying?

What have you came up with as far as expenses go compared to Columbus?....how to taxes compare? vehicle registration? vehicle insurance? housing? utilities?

What area outside of Boise would be considered like a Delaware area? or can you give a little info on comparing places around Boise to what it would be considered to around Columbus....although were not in Columbus we actually have been considering moving to Columbus area...so a little familiar with different areas...of course we were not looking right in Columbus...but outside......

Maybe you haven't gotten that far...but any insight from anyone will be much appreciated....Thank You!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I grew up in Ohio and found Boise to be the most "midwestern"-like of the cities in the west. People in Boise almost match Ohio's enthusiasm for college football as well. The other thing that Boise is like Ohio is that quite a few people still have the same circle of friends that they made in high school. Our family found the people to be some of the nicest people you ever meet, just don't expect to become friends or hang out with them.

Of all of the cities that I have lived in, I enjoyed Boise the most and miss living there every day.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:27 PM

33 posts, read 77,047 times
I will most likely be moving there from Wisconsin(not far from Ohio). All depends on if we get a job, my husband will be trying to transfer after the new year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area