Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,534 times

Advertisements

Sorry for resurrecting a dying thread... But I highly recommend winter tires in this area! They truly are a much different tire than all season rubber - they're super soft, so when it's below 45 or so, they act like a regular tire would during warmer weather. Your all season tire, however, is hard as a rock when it's cold outside. That's why you slip and slide, even with good all season tires. You WILL be amazed at the difference you feel when you have winter tires!

To make switching easier, I bought a cheap set of steel wheels to mount my winter rubbers on, and I just swap in December and back again in late Feb, you'll get years out of a set of winter tires as long as you remember to switch before it gets too warm! Do remember, because that soft compound wears very very quickly in warmer temps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 866 times
I'm going to be moving to
Eagle in January and currently have a Ford Mustang gt should I be looking at getting an awd or 4 WD and getting rid of the Mustang? It's a 2006 but only 32,000 mi?? I have never driven in the snow and don't plan to do much driving just grocery etc? Ty in advance

Old 11-16-2017, 06:10 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygirl1965 View Post
I'm going to be moving to
Eagle in January and currently have a Ford Mustang gt should I be looking at getting an awd or 4 WD and getting rid of the Mustang? It's a 2006 but only 32,000 mi?? I have never driven in the snow and don't plan to do much driving just grocery etc? Ty in advance
If you want to keep the Mustang, I suggest planning to buy a set of specialized winter tires for it. A set of good ones will cost about $100 or more a tire, but they are definitely worth the money when the streets get slick.

The real good ones must be taken off in the late spring before the pavement warms up, as the rubber compounds used are so soft and sticky driving on hot pavement will literally melt them away in no time, so you have to plan on changing them with your present tires.

I purchased a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks, one of the highest rated winter tires, in 2011 for my car, and they are mounted on it right now, with plenty of wear left. The tires should still be good for at least another 4 winters. And because I've always changed them regularly, the tires that came on the car are still good for more years of driving, too. So in the end, they have been a much cheaper alternative than a new vehicle for all-season driving here.

Don't trust that a set of 4-Season tires will get you through a winter here. They may, or may not, depending on the severity of the winter, the tires and the car. Winter tires have specialized rubber compounds and other features that give them more traction and control in all extreme winter conditions.

But an AWD vehicle definitely does have traction advantages over any 2WD vehicle. They all have better traction from a complete stop when the speed has to be very slow, such as driving onto a street from the driveway. AWD also has better traction in heavy rain on wet roads year round.

Once here, you will see lots of AWD vehicles. The Subaru is a popular car brand here because they're so good on all Idaho roads in any weather, but they all make pretty good AWD cars now. If you decide to get one, you'll find a good selection of new and used here.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:52 PM

97 posts, read 120,685 times
This is my first Winter in Boise after moving here last Summer from Texas with a 2014 2WD F-150 pickup with 20" 275/55 sport tires. I have bought a set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks ($900), a set of chains for the rear wheels (~$100) and 420# of sandbags for the truck bed (~$35). I also have a tow rope, de-icer, ice scraper, snow brush, and am getting a windshield cover soon. I plan to embrace the Winter and Winter Sports in Idaho so I need to be able to go anywhere at anytime and do anything. So far the Blizzaks are performing well and I have driven in snow twice already. I am not sure I will ever need the chains but I have them and they are "Easy Mounting" Alpine Sport diamond pattern chains from Les Schwab although after practicing putting them on I do not believe there is any such thing as "Easy Mounting" tire chains. They are a little difficult to put on even in a driveway during daylight hours. I put a lot of thought and research into the studded vs non-studded snow tires and eventually decided to get the non-studded Blizzaks which I plan to swap out for my regular tires next Spring. The Blizzaks are expensive but cheap compared to the cost of a wreck or even a smashed up side mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area