Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 PM

129 posts, read 371,562 times

Advertisements

As a home inspector, I see so many issues with homes everyday. I thought it would be fun to see what things people in Boise have the most trouble with inside their homes. Mold, pests, water intrusion, etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:06 PM

284 posts, read 611,932 times
I have a rental house. The ONLY thing I've had a problem with is the thingy on the bottom of the shower door fell off. It keep the water from going on the outside of the door. It's a pretty good house.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM

17 posts, read 64,867 times
That thingy is easy to replace...

Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM

86 posts, read 233,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeinspectorboise View Post
As a home inspector, I see so many issues with homes everyday. I thought it would be fun to see what things people in Boise have the most trouble with inside their homes. Mold, pests, water intrusion, etc. Thanks
We are moving back to the Boise Valley some time this year and I would love to hear from the folks on this forum about this topic.

Homeinspectorboise, perhaps you can get the ball rolling by telling us about some of your most memorable experiences and what prospective buyers should be on the alert for.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
As a property manager and real estate office manager in Boise, my number one complaint from tenants is HVAC related (A/C or heat isn't working). Most often it is because people forget to change the darn filters, no matter how many times they are reminded, and even if you leave them a box of filters next to the furnace.

Second most common are plumbing problems, most often leaky faucets and running toilets.

Haven't had a big problem with mold. We've had it on a few houses, of course, but it hasn't been a widespread problem. Pests, likewise haven't been a big problem. Mostly we get the normal sugar ants, spiders, wasps and flies.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM

284 posts, read 611,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSniper View Post
That thingy is easy to replace...
Oh I know. When I have something else go wrong I'll call to have it fixed. Not really an issue right now as what little water comes out gets on the shower mat and it gets hung up to dry after each shower.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 PM

57 posts, read 116,897 times
We're also renting. It's a lovely home in Columbia Village and the only complaint (?) I have is that the paint is not awesome, the carpet is a little rough in some places and one of the toilets has a mind of its own.

No known issues with mold, water damage or anything else. Very happy here

Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM

232 posts, read 565,705 times
Our first summer here we were introduced to billbugs and cinchbugs.....both of whom destroy lawns. I'd never heard of them before, but certainly have now! A beautiful emerald green lawn will go to huge sections of totally dead brown grass in a matter of a couple of weeks.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:01 PM

129 posts, read 371,562 times
Default info

Steamboat, I see so many things prospective buyers should be aware of. When buying in the older parts of Boise, many homes have not been updated when it comes to electrical / plumbing. Our modern day living and technology is too much for many of these homes to handle. Many homes are still 2 wire only and drains are original from house to street. These items are very costly when considering whole house re-pipes and re-wiring. Additionally, mold is not that big of a deal but 99% of the time when I inspect a home built prior to 1980 I always find mold somewhere. Pests are not too bad here overall...black widows and hobo spiders are common here but with pest control they seem to scatter to the neighbors house! When it comes to new builders, there are lots to choose from here. They range from the basic builder like Hubble all the way up to high end design with James Clyde. I found a brand new home last week that had no insulation installed in the attic space and another one that did not have any hot water lines plumbed in. You just never know and simply need to do your homework when buying. I have a couple really great realtors if anyone needs to start looking. Realtors here are also like any other industry, some really good ones and some really bad ones.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM

86 posts, read 233,093 times
"did not have any hot water lines plumbed in."

Wow! How in the world did the home past the building inspection?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area