Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM

16 posts, read 125,696 times

Advertisements

Well, my family and I finally ended up relocating to Idaho, and so far, it's been great. I wanted to post and give some feedback for others who might be thinking about moving to Idaho from CA.

First off, for anyone thinking about moving, it's not cheap. We used movers, only because the company helped offset the cost, but you really need to consider the cost of moving before making any big decisions. Even if you are renting a truck yourself and making the drive, you should have at least a few thousand just for the move. Factor in rent, deposit at a new place and you're looking at anywhere from $3,000-$5,000 (this is for moving a family, individuals are obviously less). I think this is important to mention, because I've lurked on this and the CA board for years, and I don't think many people take this fact into consideration, which makes it that much harder when you arrive.

We ended up moving to Meridian, right outside of Boise. I had work lined up before moving.

I hadn't been out to Idaho since 2006, and alot has changed. Eagle road is a whole new world, with tons of new places and construction going on. It's definitely exciting, because the amount of amenities and restaurants is amazing. If you're coming from CA, you won't feel too out of place. All the usual strip mall / big box stores are around, you've got lots of familiar chain restaurants, and everything is pretty close together. If you're from the Bay Area, their mall here is modeled almost exactly after Valley Fair, which is pretty interesting. So, you've got your usual mix of mid-high end stores that you're used to there.

Overall, it's cleaner, less densely populated, and more affordable. Those are key things that we enjoy. So far people have been very friendly and we're having a great time exploring the area.

Some peculiar things I've noticed, coming from the Bay Area, that will take some getting used to:

- No alternative radio station. Seems minor, but it's just weird...

- People here refer to "traffic" that is almost non-existent, from a Bay Area perspective. So don't worry about people talking about "rush hour traffic" or anything - it's nothing.

- Much less diversity. This can be a pro or con depending on where you're coming from.

- The "we hate Californians" mentality seems either way overblown, or just a recall to the past, because I haven't noticed any animosity at all. I think it may have been like that 10-15 years ago in this area, but almost everyone I've met is a transplant from somewhere.

- Not many family owned or authentic ethnic restaurants (compared to Bay Area) - this doesn't bother me that much, as I don't go out to eat all the time, but if you're a foodie, this could be rough

- Overall friendliness. If you live in the Bay Area, or most big cities, you're probably used to people keeping to themselves, minding their own business, and in general, not striking up conversation. It's pretty much the opposite here, so just try not to be too surprised when the teller / clerk starts asking about your family life, job, favorite color, etc

We're definitely happy with the move, and hopefully the job and everything else work out so that we can set down roots here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfire View Post
Some peculiar things I've noticed, coming from the Bay Area, that will take some getting used to:

- No alternative radio station. Seems minor, but it's just weird...

- The "we hate Californians" mentality seems either way overblown, or just a recall to the past, because I haven't noticed any animosity at all. I think it may have been like that 10-15 years ago in this area, but almost everyone I've met is a transplant from somewhere.

Radio Boise, 89.9, is a great alternative station with different genres during the day and night.

The "we hate Cali" mentality is overblown as you said. I have several friends who moved to Boise from Cali and none of them have experienced any negativity just because they are from California and one friend still has Cali plates on her car. I think it is more of a city-data gossip topic.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The "we hate Cali" mentality is overblown as you said. I have several friends who moved to Boise from Cali and none of them have experienced any negativity just because they are from California and one friend still has Cali plates on her car. I think it is more of a city-data gossip topic.
Now if you are driving with "2C" plates in Boise you may encounter some negativity.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 AM

86 posts, read 233,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Now if you are driving with "2C" plates in Boise you may encounter some negativity.
Now, that's funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: