Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM
abn abn started this thread

27 posts, read 130,359 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if there are any other people out there that would shop at Trader Joe's if it came to Boise/Eagle. If you are not familiar with it, it is a grocery store that offers everything but in a form that is good for you at very reasonable prices. Most of their foods do not contain hydrongenated oil and they do not carry any geneticaly modified products. They have organic products but regular products too and their prices are really reasonable. Really friendly and take time to get to know you. Give kids balloon each time, etc...Please share if you have any interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,512 times
You bet I would. I miss shopping at Trader Joe's. I had caught wind that they might be coming to area, but haven't heard anything for a long time. I suspect if we get one another one will pop up somewhere near as it has to be worth their while to transport goods this far. I think there are enough people who live here that are familiar with the company that would support the store if it decided to make Boise it's next new location. What do you know, any news?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 PM

306 posts, read 1,248,197 times
OMG! Talk about timing. I was just discussing this very topic with a good friend yesterday.

I WISH it was a franchise because I'd give my life savings to open a TJ's here. I worked at the first Trader Joe's in CA. It was called Pronto Market and it was on Avenue 64 in Los Angeles. The main offices were in South Pasedena. I have watched the company grow and LOVE their stuff. I was in PHX last weekend, when I realized/learned that there was NO Trader Joe's in Boise. I was seriously bummed. It was my first major bummer about this city ... No wait a minute ... make it the second bummer ... It was also bummed when I learned there also wasn't an IN-n-OUT Burger either.

On the brightside, I have found some local food vendors with some excellent local products that we have enjoyed in the last few weeks.
But, if anyone can find a way to make Trader Joes open here I would be first in line.

Last edited by AlleyTD; 10-30-2007 at 08:51 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM

106 posts, read 472,037 times
Seriously how hard is too find organic food in idaho. You're surrounded by farms. It seems like if it doesn't come with a brand name and in fancy grocery people don't want it.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:04 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,095,230 times
Quite frankly I'm sick of every [MOD CUT] chain in the country coming here.

Do we really need a Spaghetti Factory and a Cheesecake Factory and a Whole Foods and a Trader Joes and another dozen Wal-Marts?

Sometimes I drive around West Boise and forget that I'm still in Idaho - I could be any other place in the [MOD CUT] country.

Shop at the Coop if you want organic food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedawg View Post
Seriously how hard is too find organic food in idaho. You're surrounded by farms. It seems like if it doesn't come with a brand name and in fancy grocery people don't want it.
Yeah, pretty much. People leave other cities only to beg and clamor for the same they left to follow them.

People really disgust me.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 10-31-2007 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Take it easy...C-D is civil place...

Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 PM

Thumbs down Lighten up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Quite frankly I'm sick of every chain in the country coming here.

Do we really need a Spaghetti Factory and a Cheesecake Factory and a Whole Foods and a Trader Joes and another dozen Wal-Marts?

Shop at the Coop if you want organic food.

People really disgust me.
Jeez o petes, people - lighten up.
I'd hardly compare TJ's to Walmart!

I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone or CHANGE Boise.
TJ's just has some unique food - not neccessarily organic ... and when you like a certain food, its not a crime to desire it.

Telling us we disgust you is very harsh. and disappointing.

For the record, I don't want every darn chain store either ... but if you knew anything about TJ's or In n out you would know they are not a typical chain ... they do not franchise ...

Gosh, I just showed some excitement over a great store and good food ... and it feels like I got my head bit off. not cool.

(You) people really disgust me - is a very harsh comment.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 10-31-2007 at 12:35 AM..

Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 PM
abn abn started this thread

27 posts, read 130,359 times
To the two people that responded a little bit negatively...

The thing about Trader Joe's that is different than organic farms and natural food stores is that it carries tons of the packaged goods like cookies, crackers, frozen waffles, chips, cereal, juice etc...that are decent for you w/o hydrogenated oil and high frucose corn syrup. Those are the items that are hard to find at a regular grocery store plus Trader Joe's has great prices on this stuff. It is a really great store for families w kids cause you tend to go through a lot of snacky/packaged foods and their stuff is decent for kids (as long as they eat real food too) instead of filled with the cheapest crap food companies can make.

For Anchorless, it's not that I want tons of chains (I actually hate all chain restaurants) but all the ones you mentioned are the bottom of the barrell so if you're going to have them (chains) how about getting some smaller ones that have a good product and actually portray a sense of community. They really do have the attitude of an old "neighborhood grocery store" and they aren't all big like Wal-mart, Costco, etc...I think I will like the Coop but they could probably stand a little competition.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn View Post
To the two people that responded a little bit negatively...

The thing about Trader Joe's that is different than organic farms and natural food stores is that it carries tons of the packaged goods like cookies, crackers, frozen waffles, chips, cereal, juice etc...that are decent for you w/o hydrogenated oil and high frucose corn syrup. Those are the items that are hard to find at a regular grocery store plus Trader Joe's has great prices on this stuff. It is a really great store for families w kids cause you tend to go through a lot of snacky/packaged foods and their stuff is decent for kids (as long as they eat real food too) instead of filled with the cheapest crap food companies can make.

For Anchorless, it's not that I want tons of chains (I actually hate all chain restaurants) but all the ones you mentioned are the bottom of the barrell so if you're going to have them (chains) how about getting some smaller ones that have a good product and actually portray a sense of community. They really do have the attitude of an old "neighborhood grocery store" and they aren't all big like Wal-mart, Costco, etc...I think I will like the Coop but they could probably stand a little competition.
Brilliant, on all points. ditto

Old 10-31-2007, 07:28 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,600 times
I hate the smell of old hippies and avoid the Boise Coop as much as possible, but I would love to have a Trader Joe's here. I used to live less than a mile away from one in Phoenix and it was nice to have healthy food that was actually affordable.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,095,230 times
It isn't so much that I oppose a TJ's coming here (I actually like that store), but it's that I oppose any more big box chains coming here.

Boise needs more independent, mom and pop stores, not more chains. People need to start supporting local business owners, not chains and franchises, no matter what they are.

Also, I did not say "You people disgust me" - I said "people disgust me." Entirely different meaning and audience. I wasn't directing this toward you, or anyone in particular, but people in general. They never seem to be able to step back and see the forest from the trees. I think this is an important issue (though like growth issues, more than likely it's an impossible struggle). Let's keep Boise unique, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area