Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 AM

21 posts, read 29,344 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I can not wait to finally visit Idaho, we have some friends and family in the Boise area, we plan to visit, an explore the surrounding areas. Our plan is to eventually move to Idaho as well, unfortunately that might be awhile. We have been looking in the Caldwell, Nampa area, as well as the Weiser area. We enjoy Cowboy Mounted Shooting, Horse back riding, Camping, Hiking, Hunting, Fishing, and mountain biking. Looking forward to hearing from everyone who posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:23 AM

235 posts, read 375,613 times
Welcome to the Community! Although we reside in CO, I am originally from Idaho. I think with all your outdoor activities, you'll fit right in with everyone. I haven't seen the Cowboy Mounted Shooting, but that sounds cool. So again, welcome.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,095,364 times
Welcome to the City Data forum! Weiser is a great place to live, often overlooked in Idaho. I think it'd probably fit your activities pretty well, and even though it's a small town, it's close to Payette and Ontario for bigger-city activities. You also have the Snake river right there for fishing, which is sweet. I'm not sure what the job market in the Weiser vicinity is like. Depending on what you plan to do for work, there may be a bit of a commute to one of the larger cities. There are almost certainly going to be better job opportunities in the Nampa area.

Nampa is also a nice town, though there are some bad areas, primarily to the north side of the railroad. It doesn't have very close access to decent fishing opportunities unless you feel like pulling carp out of Lake Lowell, but if you enjoy rocky desert and sagebrush, it's a beautiful drive to good fishing, hiking, etc along the Snake to the south. Nampa also tends to have an interesting smell to it. You have the sugar beet factory to the north and dairies to the west, agriculture of all types going on all around you. It's usually a pretty mild odor, some people can't stand it, others aren't really bothered at all.

Nampa is growing, and it has close access to Meridian and Boise for bigger-city activities.

It's my perception (based mainly on the fact that I like forested, primitive camping) that Nampa is further away from good opportunities for camping than Weiser is.

The only place you mentioned that I wouldn't recommend is Caldwell. It has a decades-old reputation amongst southern Idaho law enforcement as being a place of drugs, gangs and violence; every friend who has lived in Caldwell has eventually left because of the crime. It's not often a city in Idaho gets an article in a national publication over its gang problems: USATODAY.com - Gang violence puts Idaho community on edge

Old 08-30-2013, 05:19 PM

Thank you everyone. Nice to get some inside information about the areas. I completely forgot to put Cambridge, on there as well. There are nice properties in both Weiser and Cambridge that really have our attention. We just want something with plenty of room for our horses, maybe a few cows and pigs, some chickens and goats.

As for work, I am working on getting into the Local Union for Heavy Equipment Operating here in So. Cal. (IUOE Local 12) where we are currently living. I hope that I can transfer to IUOE local 370 for Idaho/Washington area. I also have a Commercial Class B license with Tanker, Air Brake, and soon HazMat. Then depending on the celebration events in Idaho, I also (by the end of this year, Start of next year) will be a Licensed Pyrotechnician. Which my current company says we have work in Idaho as well. My girlfriend is going to school to be a EMT/RN.

We only considered the Nampa and Caldwell areas, because we have seen a few nice properties in those areas and its close to where our friends and family live. Personnally I would like a nice private home on some property, were I could shoot the rabbits if they get into my crops (with no one to complain ), or Grow Alfalfa and grass hay for the livestock.

Thanks again for all the information shared so far. Hope to hear from more people soon!

Robert & Wendy

Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Guess there isn't too much information about these areas. Ill just have to check them out my self. Curious about Cable (TV/Internet) service and Cell phone service in the areas I mentioned as well.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroTekRob View Post
Guess there isn't too much information about these areas. Ill just have to check them out my self. Curious about Cable (TV/Internet) service and Cell phone service in the areas I mentioned as well.
The further out you get into farming communities, the less likely folks are to be as digitally wired...so you may need to wait a bit longer for a reply...or be a bit more direct like making a thread with a title about a specific city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area