Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 03:04 PM

334 posts, read 1,498,586 times

Advertisements

What is the drive like from Boise to Great Falls, Montana? Thinking of moving out that way and need advice on the trip (year round visits to family in Montana). What are the roads like? Are there plenty of safe places to stop for services along the way?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:38 PM

719 posts, read 1,568,518 times
It's a bit of a haul but it's all freeway so it wouldn't be too bad. Being a freeway, there are services along the way. You would need to take appropriate precautions depending on the time of year. I always take along extra food and water, and blankets/coats if it's winter time. Just to be on the safe side. But again it's all freeway so as long as you time it right weather-wise, it should be a pretty easy drive.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,709,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
What is the drive like from Boise to Great Falls, Montana? Thinking of moving out that way and need advice on the trip (year round visits to family in Montana). What are the roads like? Are there plenty of safe places to stop for services along the way?
Thanks.
I've done a similar drive many times. The interstate (84/86 to I15) is the easiest way to go and there's plenty of stops and it's well maintained. Weather can still be in a issue as you'll go over a few mtn passes, so plan ahead during the winter months.

The problem is that it's not very direct so expect around 9 hrs +/-

Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,491,287 times
I would like to clarify and say it depends on where you are moving from on whether you would consider there to be "lots" of safe places to stop. If you are on the east coast now, there are places to stop all over the place. For us, "lots" means a rest stop in the middle of nowhere every 50 miles or so, with an occasional small town scattered along the way. There is one place along that drive I think that says "Rest Area next right. Next rest area 91 miles". But there are towns in between. So you might have stretches where you go 50 miles or so without anywhere convenient to stop. But what there is, is all pretty safe.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,673,322 times
The route is long, and as another poster said, not very direct. Highest traffic volume will be between Boise and the I-86 cutoff to Salt Lake City. Another traffic bump between Pocatello and Idaho Falls, then it really thins out with very little traffic from Idaho Falls north to Butte. At this juncture I-15 and I-90 share the same freeway for a few miles, then I-15 continues north to Great Falls. Plenty of motels and places to eat, with the exception of between Idaho Falls and Dillon, MT, which probably is the most picturesque segment, especially around the Continental Divide (Montana border) and north. Speed limit is 75 except through Pocatello, Idaho Falls, and Butte. Many, if not most, go 80+ MPH. You likely will not be ticketed if you keep it under 80. Rand McNally clocks the trip at 8 hours, 49 minutes.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:06 PM

Correction to above: "I-84/86 split to Salt Lake City"

Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 PM

12 posts, read 23,627 times
Like everyone else has said - the drive is not bad at all and depending on when you travel you can mix up the route a bit by taking the exit in Dubois to SH22 and driving the two lane highway all the way into Mountain Home - I wouldn't go out of my way in the winter, but if you are traveling in the summer it gives you a different perspective on how rural Idaho really is. The interstate speeds are higher, but the distance is also longer so I think the time is almost a wash.

My family travels to several different places in Montana 3-4 times a year - we've passed through Great Falls a couple of times heading to highway 200 from highway 87.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 PM

Yes, there are are different routes with different speed limits, but can be interesting. Example: Hwy 26 goes through the Craters of the Moons in central Idaho, which is really interesting if you care to stop.

Another interesting factoid is you will see the Missouri River in Great Falls. Weird to see this river so far west, but it it is east of the continental divide, so the the Missouri is evident as far north as Great Falls, Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area