Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,755 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've never posted a thread before. Ok, so I have a few questions. My husband and I have been looking at property for rentals in Boise area as well as estates in Meridian area (also I think Eagle?) for us to move to. I'm an accountant in LA area and my husband is in sales. I'm trying to see if we can receive comparable pay in Boise area considering our fields of work. I'm working on my CPA license and was wondering about having my own firm there. Out here we can easily afford the cost of the property out there but I'm still researching salaries out there.

We have 7 kids and need a lot of room although 3 of the kids are now adults but we would like space for them to visit. The other kids are still school age and we were wondering about the school system there as we very disappointed in the school system here. Also our kids are pretty good in football and I'm wondering about the football programs in the area.

We love the outdoors, hiking, biking, camping, all of it and I love that there is so much to do out there and it appears that there is actually 4 seasons there which I've never had before.

We are planning on flying out there for the weekend next month to check things out. Any suggestions on where to go and stay considering the info provided above?

Would greatly appreciate any feedback on the questions above.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:13 PM

215 posts, read 258,662 times
Hi MDBB,

Well I see you have not had a response so here is my advice based on my experience researching the Boise area from southern CA. You should plan on longer than a weekend; my husband and I visited a couple of times before we settled on where to buy.

Places to stay...for affordability and with children check out the Country Inn & Suites in Meridian. Substantial breakfast included, clean, quiet, and great restaurants close by (try The Ram) just across the street. Candlewood Suites in Meridian is another great option. New, clean, fewer breakfast options but freeway close as is Country Inn. Check out Trip advisor for reviews and pricing.

For schools, you can gather all of that info from the Ada County School District site. As far as affordability, it should not be a problem. Crunch the numbers for everything including utilities, car insurance, registration, property tax, sales tax, state income tax, etc.

Best of luck with your exploration of the Treasure Valley. I will be a resident there by late spring this year!

Helen

Last edited by hrsource; 01-07-2015 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Salutation

Old 01-08-2015, 02:36 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
I would fly out now, when it's really cold and gloomy, and see if y'all can handle that. Seriously. You want to visit Boise at its worst, to see what you can deal with, and then all of the good things about the area will be put in proper perspective.

I can't tell you how many people see the Greenbelt and how quaint and picturesque it is, and the foothills, and downtown Boise... and then move to Meridian or Nampa, and NEVER actually go to use the Greenbelt, foothills, or downtown Boise. Ever. It is so bizarre to me.

Your life will be simpler and easier here, no doubt. Less crime, less congestion, less stress and hassle. However, you'll be giving up nice year round weather, more opportunities in just about everything, more "action," higher pay, and a ton of other things.

You WILL make less money here; that much is hard to dispute.
Your kids will only get to play football here a few months a year, rather than the year-round programs they have in warmer weather states. While our teams here can be pretty good, the level of competition is a fraction of what it is in So Cal. That could be great, or bad, for your kids, depending.

I would come out here as soon as possible, in the icy, slick, mucky, cold, bleak weather. I would target some areas you might want to live, and figure out those areas you will likely work. Find out where the shopping is. And then make the morning commute, make the evening commute, and make routine shopping trips. See what your daily life will be like, and then compare it to back home.

Don't just take a vacation. If living in So Cal were like my vacations there, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I know that is not the reality of life there, so I don't even try to fool myself. Why should you?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:50 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I can't tell you how many people see the Greenbelt and how quaint and picturesque it is, and the foothills, and downtown Boise... and then move to Meridian or Nampa, and NEVER actually go to use the Greenbelt, foothills, or downtown Boise. Ever. It is so bizarre to me.
Most people in Boise don't live very close to the greenbelt, downtown or the foothills either. In fact most of Boise is pretty indistinguishable from Meridian, except for a larger percentage of it is older because it hasn't had as much recent growth. Not to throw cold water all over your point or anything, but facts are facts.

You do make a fair point about visiting during an inversion, though as they go this one certainly isn't very cold so it wouldn't really offer the full experience.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:45 AM

62 posts, read 161,940 times
by the sounds of your background you will be very happy at the hilton garden inn located in eagle idaho.

eagle is the upscale suburb of the boise metro area. eagle is very low key, no high hatting, just nice people who appreciate nice things in general might be a good way to describe the community. great mountain views, horses on the outskirts.

if you are into tract housing developments meridian is a good choice. also nice people. lower price points are available here.

if you are into older established neighborhoods then parts of boise would work for you. likewise lower house price points in addition to high priced property in some view or foothill locations.

obviously the above are very simplistic and broad generalizations but this boise city data board can fill you in on the specifics from past postings.

spend a littlle time looking around the eagle metro area. i think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Quote:
I would fly out now, when it's really cold and gloomy, and see if y'all can handle that. Seriously. You want to visit Boise at its worst, to see what you can deal with, and then all of the good things about the area will be put in proper perspective.

Your life will be simpler and easier here, no doubt. Less crime, less congestion, less stress and hassle. However, you'll be giving up nice year round weather, more opportunities in just about everything, more "action," higher pay, and a ton of other things.

You WILL make less money here; that much is hard to dispute.
Your kids will only get to play football here a few months a year, rather than the year-round programs they have in warmer weather states. While our teams here can be pretty good, the level of competition is a fraction of what it is in So Cal. That could be great, or bad, for your kids, depending.

I would come out here as soon as possible, in the icy, slick, mucky, cold, bleak weather. I would target some areas you might want to live, and figure out those areas you will likely work. Find out where the shopping is. And then make the morning commute, make the evening commute, and make routine shopping trips. See what your daily life will be like, and then compare it to back home.

Don't just take a vacation. If living in So Cal were like my vacations there, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I know that is not the reality of life there, so I don't even try to fool myself. Why should you?
How do you know people who move to Meridian or Nampa NEVER use the greenbelt, the foothills or visit downtown? Stats?

The football season is more than a couple of months and there are plenty of other activities to keep athletic kids busy the rest of the year.

Come out as soon as possible? Well the inversion is supposed to clear out this weekend because of storms moving in. In fact this weekend would be great for an out of towner to visit to experience a Boise winter storm. This city and the mountain backdrop is beautiful after being dumped on with snow, if that is in fact what happens this weekend.

Brah, you need to lighten up. It isn't the end of the world that Boise is growing and people want to move here and that there is construction downtown. Let people decide if they actually like Boise and if it means they move here and there are certain aspects they might not like, well that is life. No where is perfect.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:23 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
How do you know people who move to Meridian or Nampa NEVER use the greenbelt, the foothills or visit downtown? Stats?

The football season is more than a couple of months and there are plenty of other activities to keep athletic kids busy the rest of the year.

Come out as soon as possible? Well the inversion is supposed to clear out this weekend because of storms moving in. In fact this weekend would be great for an out of towner to visit to experience a Boise winter storm. This city and the mountain backdrop is beautiful after being dumped on with snow, if that is in fact what happens this weekend.

Brah, you need to lighten up. It isn't the end of the world that Boise is growing and people want to move here and that there is construction downtown. Let people decide if they actually like Boise and if it means they move here and there are certain aspects they might not like, well that is life. No where is perfect.
Uh, they are asking questions about a place BEFORE they move. Isn't that the point? Why would they bother to come to this forum and do research if they were just going to move blindly?

You might disagree with me and that's fine, reasonable people can do that. But I don't think anything I've said is off the mark nor simply being a downer. People are asking us what they might be getting into, and it's good to have as much perspective as possible.

You are also unfairly characterizing what I said about the green belt, foothills, etc. I didn't say people who move to Meridian and Nampa never use them, I said there are scores of people who move to the area in part because of them, and because of time, distance, etc., they never use them. Not all, but many. Read it again, brah.

I don't have stats. But if you're telling me people get home from work around 5, load up their bikes and drive back into Boise from Meridian or Nampa to use the greenbelt, especially from Nov- Mar, well that's hilarious.

I brought up football BECAUSE THEY ASKED ABOUT FOOTBALL. Again, spend less time attacking me just to attack me and realize I'm responding to their inquiries.

The rest of your points.... We will just have to disagree. It would make sense to me to come out when Boise is at its worst to see how I could handle the inversions and their air quality, and try to figure out how long they last, than to come during a freak warm spell and pretend that's a normal Boise winter day.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,234 times
Quote:
Uh, they are asking questions about a place BEFORE they move. Isn't that the point? Why would they bother to come to this forum and do research if they were just going to move blindly?

You might disagree with me and that's fine, reasonable people can do that. But I don't think anything I've said is off the mark nor simply being a downer. People are asking us what they might be getting into, and it's good to have as much perspective as possible.

You are also unfairly characterizing what I said about the green belt, foothills, etc. I didn't say people who move to Meridian and Nampa never use them, I said there are scores of people who move to the area in part because of them, and because of time, distance, etc., they never use them. Not all, but many. Read it again, brah.

I don't have stats. But if you're telling me people get home from work around 5, load up their bikes and drive back into Boise from Meridian or Nampa to use the greenbelt, especially from Nov- Mar, well that's hilarious.

I brought up football BECAUSE THEY ASKED ABOUT FOOTBALL. Again, spend less time attacking me just to attack me and realize I'm responding to their inquiries.

The rest of your points.... We will just have to disagree. It would make sense to me to come out when Boise is at its worst to see how I could handle the inversions and their air quality, and try to figure out how long they last, than to come during a freak warm spell and pretend that's a normal Boise winter day.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:05 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Quote:

Quote:

Hey 88, I read your post again. I did not unfairly characterize what you said about the Greenbelt, foothills etc. In your original post you did not say "scores of people" or mention the time, distance, etc. but that is fine brah. I did make a point about what you said and I was not the only one, IdaD posted a comment regarding what you said as well pertaining to the amenities in this discussion.

Quote:
I didn't say or tell you what is quoted above or anything similar to that so I'm confused what you find hilarious about it. Read my post again, I never mentioned anything about people loading up their bikes and driving to Boise. In your words, you are "unfairly characterizing" what I said.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:19 PM

215 posts, read 258,662 times
Okay you two, back to your respective corners and we will call it a split decision. You both have some great points for consideration. I flew in yesterday from San Diego airport leaving a 74 degree day to arrive in Boise at 32 degrees. We are building a home here and this is my 6th trip but the first during a winter month to see the inversion and experience any cold weather. My other trips were summer and fall. But a big part of my pre-trip research included using all of the stats that City-Data provides for temperature, snowfall, income, etc. That research is what brought me to this forum. This forum provides great insight from locals and has helped us with our decision that Boise was the best fit for us.

So yes, come during the winter. If you are like me and never experienced any thing below 45 which is our typical low, you might decide it is not for you. And since we are accustomed to sunshine about 320 days a year, the winter gray skies might get to you.

We did a list of pros and cons which made it an easy decision for us to choose the Boise area. Just visit and check it out.

Helen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: