Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 04:55 PM

20 posts, read 24,791 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am new here so not sure the best place to post this but looking for some advice from experienced long distance drivers regarding routes and options.

I am currently in Boise and need to head east. I've been waiting for awhile due to the weather. I have driven cross country but am not an experienced driver in that I don't know a thing about chains, have a small Honda Fit - that will be packed, and traveling with a kitty too. I can't stay in Boise indefinitely. I began a cross country relocation for a job that didn't work out. So I need to head back east. There is a slim chance I might head to San Diego. And also Vermont (where family is). There are job options/possibilities in CO and Minneapolis. However, I don't know 1) What is the best route where I can avoid mountains and actually accomplish this with a Honda Fit - even if I head south a tad and 2) is it even an option or do I need to ship my car? My car is full with belongings and I know or believe they will not transport my belongings one of which is a large kitty condo. So that also adds to the stress of having to ship things.

I can wait til March but when is an okay or safe time?

For Minneapolis, it seems taking 80 to 29 to 90 or 80 to 35 is the best way to avoid mountainous terrain and to make it easier/safer. The whole thing scares me because there is nothing out there in Wyoming, Nebraska etc.

For Boulder, taking 84 to 80, then 287 or 25 seems the best option (25 seems more a main road than 287).

For the east coast completely, just staying on 80 - the whole way. But what do I need to be wary if I stay on 80 - any mountains to pass through? I did drive west from the east coast but it was in the summer/early fall so I don't remember any treacherous or precarious passes.

I also have Verizon so worry about cell service on some of the routes mentioned.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 05:29 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Either way I'd just drive I84 to I15, then connect to I80 through Wyoming. It can have terrible weather but odds are this late into winter you'd be fine if you're driving during the daylight hours.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Are there mountainous passes or would I need chains? I will have to be heading out the beginning of March since I've waited long enough. I can't use and don't have chains and have a little car. I prefer not to ship - cost and logisitics make it more problematic.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:07 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
It's a good idea to have them, but you'll more than likely be fine. Just keep your car full of gas, stash some warm blankets, food, and water just in case.

I've seen some nasty weather on those stretches of interstate, but nothing really that would keep a sedan from travelling on it. Even in the worst storm I've been on the road in, I was able to drive behind a semitruck and use its tracks to get into the next town to wait it out (this was in Nevada).

Old 02-05-2015, 07:10 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times
Well if you have Verizon you have the largest network so you're in good shape there. By March you should be fine without chains as long as you pay attention to the weather. You could certainly get hit with a late winter storm that would get you in trouble that time of year but there should be some warning so you can plan around those events to a large degree as long as you're paying attention to weather reports. If heading east I would agree that 80 is your best bet, and in your case I would take 25 over 287 if you do down towards Boulder since you're traveling alone (more services and assistance available on a freeway).

Realistically you could drive to Boulder in a long day, so that's why I think if you watch the weather and road reports and pick your travel day wisely you should be able to avoid issues. Even Minneapolis is doable in two long days.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:06 PM

Thank you all so much for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area