Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:20 AM

285 posts, read 541,104 times

Advertisements

Yes, do it in one day. Same conditions either going south or north. visibility is usually good on most of the route, so passing hasn't been much of a challenge. In fact, the 318 section is, or maybe was, used for the 100 mile, Annual Silver State Challenge, a road race, unlimited speed.Of course they block the road off for 2 hours, so no collisions.

Agreed, avoid Ely as an overnight, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times
I ended up taking a detour to Napa Valley from Boise and then flying back to Las Vegas this trip.

It was cheaper with the time constraints to make a quick trip from Las Vegas to Boise and back to load up the car with the stuff I left behind afterwards.

So my husband and I are making a quick trip in a week doing the Nevada route. He thinks we can go faster than the speed limit in the desert. I told him do you really want to risk a ticket and our car insurance going up from it. He's adamant no one is out there but I told him he can't guarantee that.

I just remember the $300 speeding ticket I got one time thinking like that driving through the rural PNW when my friend on the passenger side was encouraging me with the same attitude to go faster. That cop came out of nowhere. Luckily that friend paid my ticket since they were egging me on beforehand and felt bad the cop threatened to take me to jail if I was driving 5 more mph faster.

So is my husband correct or should I stick to my guns?

We're going to drive there in a day. Stay one day to load up the car and visit. Then drive back on the third day. It will be a nice break from the routine for him and give him a breath of fresh air.

Anything else we need to check before heading out?

Old 08-13-2015, 01:27 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
Oh, they're there. My parents got a ticket on that route. I use caution in any rural area. The local authorities need something to do.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:54 PM

He typically has a mind of his own no matter how much I try to tell him. Sometimes he has to learn the hard way I suppose. I should probably ask you do you remember where your parents got the ticket and how much it was so we can watch out for speed traps if he decides to go for it anyways.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:04 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
I know it was on US-93, I think they said about an hour in from Idaho. I don't know the cost, unfortunately.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:23 PM

Ok, thanks for the information.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:46 PM

We just did the drive round trip from Las Vegas to Boise and back in three days. We drove during daylight hours.

From Las Vegas to Boise we saw the police right before we got to Mountain Home. The entire way we saw more fire trucks and fire personnel than anything on the road traveling to and fro. They didn't appear to be in a rush.

As we approached Lund, NV there was this huge wall of wildfire smoke. We could see it as we were approaching it but we didn't see any fires. When we drove into it on the way up there the car around us shook and it sounded like a freight train all around us. As if the wall of smoke had a thickness to it and was descending like night fall. The smokey haze lasted all the way to Boise. I hacked and coughed the entire time inside the smoke haze while there.

From Boise to Las Vegas we saw the police between Jackpot and Wells. So right about where boi2socal said. Then we saw them again when you start getting close to Las Vegas after Ash Springs and Alamo. Several of the little towns on the way back have those radar signs that show your speed as you're passing through them so you'll slow down.

When we made our trip back I kept wondering if the wall of smoke had gone all the way to Las Vegas, but thankfully we found that the wall of smoke dissipates again when you get past Lund, NV. I was so thankful to breath again and be out of that.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 08-22-2015 at 10:58 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 10:37 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
We just did the drive round trip from Las Vegas to Boise and back in three days. We drove during daylight hours.

From Las Vegas to Boise we saw the police right before we got to Mountain Home. The entire way we saw more fire trucks and fire personnel than anything on the road traveling to and fro. They didn't appear to be in a rush.

As we approached Lund, NV there was this huge wall of wildfire smoke. We could see it as we were approaching it but we didn't see any fires. When we drove into it on the way up there the car around us shook and it sounded like a freight train all around us. As if the wall of smoke had a thickness to it and was descending like night fall. The smokey haze lasted all the way to Boise. I hacked and coughed the entire time inside the smoke haze while there.

From Boise to Las Vegas we saw the police between Jackpot and Wells. So right about where boi2socal said. Then we saw them again when you start getting close to Las Vegas after Ash Springs and Alamo. Several of the little towns on the way back have those radar signs that show your speed as you're passing through them so you'll slow down.

When we made our trip back I kept wondering if the wall of smoke had gone all the way to Las Vegas, but thankfully we found that the wall of smoke dissipates again when you get past Lund, NV. I was so thankful to breath again and be out of that.
So you went the route toward Ely? We are moving up there in Dec. from Pahrump and trying to figure out the best way in the winter. I don't know if there is one!!

Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
So you went the route toward Ely? We are moving up there in Dec. from Pahrump and trying to figure out the best way in the winter. I don't know if there is one!!
Yeah we went the route through Ely. It wasn't bad at all. There weren't any mountain passes with scary steep climbs or anything. There are mountain views and hills with steady gradual climbs but nothing dramatic. Barely noticeable. Just a couple long stretches without gas. So make sure to stop and get gas whether you think you need it or not. It's a survival thing out there. You could end up stuck in the middle of nowhere and need to run the car for warmth in the winter until someone comes along. The cell phone went in and out of range for long periods of time. We filled a 5 gallon gas can with us as a reserve and kept it in the back of the car for an emergency.

It was a pretty great trip. Lots of beautiful scenery and it was interesting how the landscape changed in different areas. We took printed directions and had our GPS. It wasn't like one long road you get on and don't get off of until you're there. There are several definite right and left turns you have to look for along the way.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 08-23-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 04:16 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Yeah we went the route through Ely. It wasn't bad at all. There weren't any mountain passes with scary steep climbs or anything. There are mountain views and hills with steady gradual climbs but nothing dramatic. Barely noticeable. Just a couple long stretches without gas. So make sure to stop and get gas whether you think you need it or not. It's a survival thing out there. You could end up stuck in the middle of nowhere and need to run the car for warmth in the winter until someone comes along. The cell phone went in and out of range for long periods of time. We filled a 5 gallon gas can with us as a reserve and kept it in the back of the car for an emergency.

It was a pretty great trip. Lots of beautiful scenery and it was interesting how the landscape changed in different areas. We took printed directions and had our GPS. It wasn't like one long road you get on and don't get off of until you're there. There are several definite right and left turns you have to look for along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area