Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:41 AM

742 posts, read 1,130,518 times

Advertisements

We're already nearing 100 degrees, which are or are near record highs.

How many 90+ degree days do you think we'll end up having this year? Everything seems early by almost 6 weeks. We're already getting cherries on our trees. Spring seemed to start in Feb. Seems the summer heat wave will start in June and last through August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:06 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,781,715 times
Couple years ago, I tracked the temperatures all summer long in Boise and it convinced me that Boise, and environs, would not be my ideal retirement home. I've lived in the desert for about twelve years now, and even though the early mornings and evenings are glorious, the high temps during the bulk of the daylight hours are more than I'm willing to put up with, especially for someone wanting to do outdoor stuff.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:17 PM

742 posts, read 1,130,518 times
It's a give-take thing.

For me, there are about 6-8 weeks in the winter that are absolutely miserable, given the temps being at or near zero, the short days, the inversion, and the general bleakness of the area. Even getting out on the weekends (which is the only possible time to do so if you're a 9-5 chump like me) doesn't help.

Similarly, there are about 2-3 weeks in the summer that are pretty hard to bear, even for someone like me who is in the water every single day. It's not so bad from about 7pm on, when the temps lower and the evenings become long and pleasant. I'm just glad I work indoors during this time of year.

The rest of the year varies tremendously. We've had an exquisite spring this year... seems like the past 4 months have been in the lower 60's to mid 70's, which is my sweet spot. We'll see what the fall brings (my favorite time of year); generally here they are pretty short.

This summer is beginning to worry me. My guess is we'll have near 50 days at or above 90, which is above average.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:16 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,496,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post

This summer is beginning to worry me. My guess is we'll have near 50 days at or above 90, which is above average.
I'd be surprised if it was that low, actually. What year time frame is 50 days above average for? I bet if you looked at average since 2000, you'd find that 50 days over 90 was below average.

For the question posed, I'm going to guess 65 days. Most of July and August and some of June and maybe September. That's without doing any historical research at all. It just seems HOT lately. And I'm going to guess than an absolute minimum of 10 days will be over 100. 15 days wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

I much prefer Boise winters over Boise summers, even with the grey. Boise spring and fall are beautiful, though.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 PM

11 posts, read 13,458 times
Sorry guys, this is my fault. It's my first summer here.

I'm gonna Price is Right Lacerta and guess 66 days.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:16 PM

731 posts, read 959,837 times
Thank for for air conditioning, right?

Old 06-14-2015, 02:06 PM

91 posts, read 166,016 times
Quote:
We're already nearing 100 degrees, which are or are near record highs.

How many 90+ degree days do you think we'll end up having this year? Everything seems early by almost 6 weeks. We're already getting cherries on our trees. Spring seemed to start in Feb. Seems the summer heat wave will start in June and last through August.

When I was in Boise a few weeks ago, it was 92 degrees outside (according to car temperature computer thingy in instrument cluster).

It did not feel like 92 degrees....it was "warm" as such, but it wasn't miserable by any means.

I suspect that it is due to the lack of humidity in Boise?

92 degrees in So. Cal is absolute disgusting. You feel like the air clings to your skin.

Does it cool down at night time in the summer due to the cool breeze coming down off the foothills and mountains?

p.s. It was weird how the sun didn't set until 9:30pm.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:09 PM

91 posts, read 166,016 times
Quote:
For me, there are about 6-8 weeks in the winter that are absolutely miserable, given the temps being at or near zero, the short days, the inversion, and the general bleakness of the area. .
The "inversion" that you speak of....is that kinda like "June Gloom" in California? Or is it kinda like the smoggy days you'd feel in the City of Industry where the sun shines through but only barely and it kinda sorta gives you a migraine? (or any other inland So Cal dumpy city)?

Whenever it's "June Gloom" or overcast in Ca. where I live in the wintertime, I like it because it puts me in the Christmas mood. Usually it's 80 degrees in the middle of December here.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:12 PM

232 posts, read 566,083 times
A "thermal inversion" is a weather phenomena that can appear in the Treasure Valley in summer or winter. It will trap the hot air in the summer or cold air in the winter, and it can be unpleasant.

Rather than trying to explain it here, you should just Google it and read through some of the explanations.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:33 PM

232 posts, read 566,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post
When I was in Boise a few weeks ago, it was 92 degrees outside (according to car temperature computer thingy in instrument cluster).

It did not feel like 92 degrees....it was "warm" as such, but it wasn't miserable by any means.

I suspect that it is due to the lack of humidity in Boise?

92 degrees in So. Cal is absolute disgusting. You feel like the air clings to your skin.

Does it cool down at night time in the summer due to the cool breeze coming down off the foothills and mountains?

p.s. It was weird how the sun didn't set until 9:30pm.

Yes, the temps are fairly high, but the humidity is almost always low. On average in the summer, the temperature difference between day and night is around 25-30 degrees, so the evenings are quite nice. I moved here from a very warm climate, so the first few summers I kept a jacket in my car in case I was out at night.

Also, most houses are well insulated. Today it was 91 degrees in the afternoon. I keep all the windows open in the house most of the time, and the highest I saw inside today was 78 degrees. That's not enough for me to turn on the A/C. Once it gets above the low 80's inside, my wife will start complaining and eventually I'll turn it on, but so far this year it's only happened once.

On the summer solstice this year (20 June), we'll have 15 hrs 29 minutes of daylight, and for the winter solstice (20 December) we'll have 8 hours 56 minutes. We get a lot of sun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area