Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:47 PM

27 posts, read 123,766 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions? How long is the trip and just how desolate or full of traffic? For anyone who has made this trip, please share! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 05:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
Driving Directions from Phoenix, AZ to Boise, ID

I've driven most of that route from Boise to Las Vegas. There isn't much traffic, the stretch through Utah is killer.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:23 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
You're probably looking at a 12 hour drive. My hubby has driven it before and suggests that you take 17N, then 80E through Winnemuca and on to Boise from there, he thinks that will be the quickest route. I've driven half of it before and it's not the most exciting drive.

Another route he suggests is 17N, 80E, 15N, 86W, 84W. That takes you through Salt Lake. He says the difference is this route is on an Interstate Hwy, and it takes a lot longer as opposed to the above route that's on a State Hwy. and takes less time.

Double check him though as it's been a long time since he's done this.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:27 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,609 times
I have made the trip 3 times in the past 14 months, so here is the absolute best way to get here from Phoenix. If you are in a car go to Las Vegas via Hwy 60/93, continue on through LV on Interstate 15 until you get to the turnoff to Hwy 93. Take Hwy 93 all the way through Nevada and continue on Hwy 93 until you get to Twin Falls. From Twin Falls get on Interstate 84 to Boise. Be prepared, Hwy 93 from LV to the Idaho border is some of the most desolate driving you will ever do. If you see a gas station you better stop, the towns are few and far between. But the upside is that Hwy 93 is a major truck route so the roads are in excellent shape and you can really make good time. There were stretches where I put my cruise control to 90 MPH and just pointed my car. In my car I made the trip in about twelve and half hours, but I was really driving fast.

If you are driving a rental truck you will have to detour from Kingman to Laughlin and then head to Las Vegas. This will add about another 60-70 miles to your trip. In a rental truck it took me about sixteen hours.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
I have made the trip 3 times in the past 14 months, so here is the absolute best way to get here from Phoenix. If you are in a car go to Las Vegas via Hwy 60/93, continue on through LV on Interstate 15 until you get to the turnoff to Hwy 93. Take Hwy 93 all the way through Nevada and continue on Hwy 93 until you get to Twin Falls. From Twin Falls get on Interstate 84 to Boise. Be prepared, Hwy 93 from LV to the Idaho border is some of the most desolate driving you will ever do. If you see a gas station you better stop, the towns are few and far between. But the upside is that Hwy 93 is a major truck route so the roads are in excellent shape and you can really make good time. There were stretches where I put my cruise control to 90 MPH and just pointed my car. In my car I made the trip in about twelve and half hours, but I was really driving fast.

If you are driving a rental truck you will have to detour from Kingman to Laughlin and then head to Las Vegas. This will add about another 60-70 miles to your trip. In a rental truck it took me about sixteen hours.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

This is easily the fastest path, however it gets really slick near Ely in the winter - often blizzard conditions.

Check out the weather report first.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
This is easily the fastest path, however it gets really slick near Ely in the winter - often blizzard conditions.

Check out the weather report first.
I agree with micrguy that this is the best route, but as Anchorless suggested definitely check road conditions. We drove from Boise to Phx in Dec '05 as we were moving across country, and we took this route. We didn't have any problems around Ely, but we did almost go off the road/cliff just north of Wells. We had slick conditions from Twin Falls to Wells. The wind was brutal when we got out to get gas in Wells. Once we got south of Wells the roads were much better.

Also be sure to get gas whenever you see a station. That was the most deserted drive I have ever made. We didn't have very much cell phone coverage on 93 in NV, but we had T-Mobile and I don't think they have the best coverage compared to others.

We started our drive from Twin Falls and drove all the way to Mesa, AZ that day. It took us a very long time (18 hours), but we had to drive VERY slow because of road conditions in northern NV and we also had to stop A LOT because we were traveling with 3 young kids and 2 dogs!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,609 times
Two out of the three times that I have driven this have been without kids or pets, so if you have kids you should add at least 2 additional hours. The wind can also affect your time if you are in a rental truck, the last time I drove up to Boise the wind was pushing my truck all over the road. Also, my trip times are starting from the Metrocenter area of Phoenix, so depending where you start from may affect your total trip time.

As far as cell phone coverage goes, I used Verizon and had coverage for about 95% of the drive, I was pretty impressed with the coverage. I couldn't pick up any radio stations, but could call out on my phone.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Driving Directions from Phoenix, AZ to Boise, ID

I've driven most of that route from Boise to Las Vegas. There isn't much traffic, the stretch through Utah is killer.
We took part of the route above and them jumped on I-15
However it was September and the weather was nice.
I'm not sure what the weather will be like in the long valley - which is Kanab to Panguitch, UT.

It's a nice, beautiful scenic ride and technically it's more direct. "IF" the roads are clear.

I-17 skirts Sedona - and you should stop to there if you've never been.
then get on I-40 (east) - for a few miles to 89 (N)

89 goes through the Navajo Indian reservation, along the beautiful Echo Cliffs, it skirts around Lake Powell (Page, AZ) and continues into Kanab, UT.

We stayed on 89 up to Panquitch UTAH and then we cut over the 20 to I-15 ... and the rest is cake and uneventful.

Stay on I-15 to I-84 and head into Boise.

BTW, we did it in a couple of days and opted to overnight in Panquitch - we were traveling with kids.

Drive Safe!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 AM

14 posts, read 61,552 times
forget about driving....take the big bird

Old 01-29-2008, 01:12 AM

27 posts, read 123,766 times
Hey guys.... Thanks so much for all of your answers!! Really appreciated! I'm sorry for the delay in responding, though. You've all given me some good things to think about. I'm not ready to drive there yet (not planning on the big move till after April), but I'm nervous about the drive already. I have pets so it will be a long one!

Now I have one more question...Of the routes mentioned, which is the one with the LEAST trucks/ traffic? I'm not in a race to get there and will probably take two days or more so I'm more interested in the least traffic rather than the fastest route.

I'm a highway chicken so this drive is scary for me! haha. Sad but true! And if I could fly and have my car transported I totally would but then my dogs would have to fly (two are too big to fly in the cabin and I'm not sure I could feel ok about checking them as luggage...they're like my kids! So it looks like when I actually move I will have to suck it up and get behind the wheel.

Anyway, again, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: