Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 AM

13 posts, read 46,194 times

Advertisements

Great info. Thank you. FYI: I always clean up after myself. We need to make sure these places stay open for responsible, safe shooters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:22 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
I know its not outdoors, but Impact Guns has a pretty good indoor 25yd range. That is where I went this weekend. Pretty good option in bad weather or if you only have an hour to shoot.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:21 PM

88 posts, read 213,666 times
Seems to me you can shoot in the National Forest with a few small caveats. Unless I'm reading this wrong, a few miles down a fireroad somewhere with a good backstop and 150 yards away from stuff should get the job done? Its what I do in National Parks in the Sierras.

Boise National Forest - Outdoor Safety & Ethics

Fireworks and Firearms
Fireworks and explosives are prohibited in the National Forests.
Firing a gun is not allowed:
-in or within 150 yards of a residence, building; campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area.
-across or on a road or -body of water;
-in any circumstance whereby any person may be injured or property damaged.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:21 PM

232 posts, read 565,705 times
There is also a free range a bit south of Nampa.

This Fish & Game webpage has lots of info:

Idaho Fish and Game - George W. Nourse Public Shooting Range

There are 9 lanes with anywhere from 3 to 8 shooting benches of various heights. The lanes are separated by large dirt berms. It is self-policing, so observe good range etiquette and clean up after yourself.

It can be crowded on weekends, holidays, and just before hunting season.

I'm guessing it is about 25 miles from downtown Boise.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:10 PM

55 posts, read 153,597 times
Just jumping on this thread as well. Can you shoot anywhere on BLM land (common sense dictating)? Also, it seems that the link SteelHead69 provided shows that National Forest land is also available as long as you pay attention to the exceptions. If all this is the case, where can I find maps that say "all this is BLM land and all of this is National Forest land" so I can find a spot that makes the most sense to me.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:01 PM

Just bumping the thread to see if anyone could answer my last question.

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2016, 01:44 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
I hear Parma is the best range in the Valley and I attended a 3 gun match their long ago. It has a great action pistol range and a 800 yard rifle range. However, there is also the desert when you truly want freedom I've heard of 1500 yard shoots out towards some wilderness areas in the Owyhees. Wish I was rich enough to be able to participate and train for such long range shooting. However, I lost my job and stuck just shooting my 5.56 and being limited by how far it can go, which is about the distance most ranges around here max out at.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:00 PM

66 posts, read 80,862 times
The hunting regs in ID seems to be very generous and fairly inexpensive. Put another mark in the pro column.

ML

Old 07-18-2016, 02:00 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
To answer looktothesun's question, I just use my Map book. You can get them at Sportsman Warehouse and other places.

Most of the time, you will know it when you cross into forest service land, they usual have signs. BLM land however, is not marked quite so well, but you know it when you get there because there is nothing much out there.

That being said, you can find cattle grazing out on public land so always be mindful of your down range. I have never bought a cow, but I am told its expensive.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:47 PM

Any places North/Northeast of town that people have had luck shooting? Maybe even up towards the Boise National Forest? Probably not hard to find a good backstop in the foothills/mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area