Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:29 AM

229 posts, read 707,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Agreed, I'm actually hoping El Nino hits as expected and we get a heavy winter. I need to use my ski pass more than 5 times this year.
If it hits as expected, it will be drier than normal for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
"I don't think they meant everyone, and that's not how I read it, so maybe you're a bit too quick to overreact??"

It's a sensitivity to a series of posts that tend to paint newcomers as less than astute. Usually projected at Californians. An aversion to broad-brush painting.
I agree with you, BoiseBound....way too much broad brush painting here.

Some "newcomers" come with more winter experience than the average Boise native will ever see. If I move to Idaho some day, I will be one of them.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:06 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Last November was crazy, the bitter cold and snow.
And very unusual, to be honest. It was all a few weeks early, and then the sublime spring which started in Feb was odd, too.

Stunk for the snowpack and water supply. Peak runoff season is not supposed to be in Feb, but in June.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:50 PM

731 posts, read 958,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Sensitive or not, experience is important and newcomers are less astute, especially when it comes to subject like the weather and seasons.

If you're entire experience with Boise's winter was last year, which was very short and mild, then you have a skewed view of what is "normal".
I doubt there is a "normal", anywhere, anymore. Not even sure there ever was a "normal" when it comes to weather.

Newcomers are, of course, not aware of many things, in any State they're considering. As I've said in other postings, sharing knowledge is always a good thing. That's the point of most of the postings here, to discuss and learn. But, there seems to be a repeated theme (by some), that anyone coming from another State has no idea what they're getting in to. I just don't see that as being honest, or kind, or fair. In fact, a lot of times (IMO) it seems that the post exists to dissuade and discourage.

Ok, am quite sure this post is going to get me flack, but again, I believe in honest and that is my honest opinion.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I agree with you, BoiseBound....way too much broad brush painting here.

Some "newcomers" come with more winter experience than the average Boise native will ever see. If I move to Idaho some day, I will be one of them.
Exactly!

Through a local group I'm involved in, I've met a couple from North Dakota (I think native ND's, but don't know for sure) who have come here in the last 5 years. Although we haven't discussed it, I'm fairly sure they've had more experience with extreme weather than many native Idahoans.

Having spent a lot of time in ski areas in both CA and UT, and some very cold and very windy mornings with lake effect winters in other States, I can say that I've got a bit of a clue at least. Will I learn more while here, I hope so! All things considered, for me, the trade-offs from what I lost, to what I've gained, by moving here are MORE than enough to happily make me brave Winter.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:08 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
If you can say the same thing when you're into day 10 of a nasty, bitterly cold, oppressively gray inversion, with ice and frozen snow everywhere, getting dark at 4:45 pm... then you're truly meant for Boise!

There's a lot of romance to the fall and cooler weather, to be sure. Sometimes the reality becomes all too real when you realize just how different day to day life is in the midst of winter. Way different energy, way different activity levels. But some people love it, and most don't. It's why snowbirding is a thing.

I'm split on it. I miss being able to do things outside after work when daylight savings hits in November. I'm not good sitting in the friggin' house because it's dark at 6:30 pm, when three months ago I was kayaking a river at 8:30 pm after work.
Well, when the weather grows cold, it's pretty easy to add another layer of clothing. When the cold becomes oppressive, it's not very hard to go south for a temperature break. St. George and other spots in S. Utah have winters warm enough to stop a case of Idaho Winter Blues over a 3-day weekend. Even the hot deserts of California are only a day and a half away by car. (or less if you push the drive time)

But when you are down to bare skin and are still burning up from the heat, hot always seems to be worse and longer lasting to me than cold. Since both of us probably have blood as thick as maple syrup from living in a cold state for so long, I'll bet you suffer from too much heat as much as I do. I sympathize with the folks who want nothing more than to find some respite from heat.

The short dark days don't last long, really. From here to the winter solstice is when the days are shortest and darkest, and it all starts to get better every day on the other side of the solstice. I sympathize with you, though- I suffer from SADD, and I hate this time of year more than you do, I'll bet.

Those winter inversions are a drag, for sure, but this is Idaho. All one has to do is leave town and go uphill, and I'm always amazed when I do. The clear winter skies in our mountains are so bright a person can leave a shadow on the snow from the light of the stars alone. Moonlight is wonderful, but it's optional up there on a clear night. Especially when its so cold your spit freezes before it hits the ground.

It's all just a part of living here, and personally, I love this place best of all in all seasons, even during the ugliest times of the year.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:25 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,382 times
Mike, I'll take the hot (and long) days over the short and cold ones any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

I am a devout whitewater kayaker, so I know and appreciate the importance of winter and snow and yearly cycles, but on a day to day basis, give me warm and mild weather every time. I actually prefer temps between 40* and 80*, personally.

Long, sunny days are healthy for us in many ways. Us 9-5'ers are able to get out after work and hike, walk, bicycle, mountain bike, play sports in the park, swim, raft, kayak, fish, and do literally thousands of things we're not able to do when it gets dark at 5pm. If it's too hot, well, we have air conditioning and shade and plenty of water to take care of that. Moreover, with proper care, the sun is good for us. Not having daily exposure to sunlight is actually bad for us, our normal rhythms, etc. Heck, we bought a "happy light" two years ago to just survive the inversions and stay sane. SAD is a very real thing.

My refrain about all of this is for most of us in the daily routine of winter, typically the 9-5'ers, and how the daylight and temps affect daily life. It's why I get a chuckle out of those who think they've experienced it when they go to a ski resort a few times a year. It's far different living it day in, day out, from mid November up through mid March.

Look, it's also not that bad, either. The change of seasons is always welcome. Fall is beautiful. Cooler temps are great. Even the first snowfall is great. But the novelty of all that wears thin come January, as you point out in your post above.

Mostly, I just get frustrated because my kayaking (and frankly, any outdoor activity) is now limited to the weekends, and even the daily chores are complicated by the darkness. Ever try keeping up with picking up the dog crap in the backyard when it's frozen, snowy, and dark? Hard to do every day. I get bored being stuck in the house after work for months on end. Only so much work to do in the shop or gym visits I can make.

I guess I'll just have to spend more time on here.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:16 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Exactly!

Through a local group I'm involved in, I've met a couple from North Dakota (I think native ND's, but don't know for sure) who have come here in the last 5 years. Although we haven't discussed it, I'm fairly sure they've had more experience with extreme weather than many native Idahoans.

Having spent a lot of time in ski areas in both CA and UT, and some very cold and very windy mornings with lake effect winters in other States, I can say that I've got a bit of a clue at least. Will I learn more while here, I hope so! All things considered, for me, the trade-offs from what I lost, to what I've gained, by moving here are MORE than enough to happily make me brave Winter.
My winter resume includes....
  • 5 years in Buffalo
  • 5 years in Chicago
  • 6 years in Coon Rapids, MN
  • 3 years in Rochester, NY
  • 2 years in Albany
  • 5 years in Omaha
  • 13 years in Kansas City Metro
Never in all those years did I ever feel that winter was any kind of hardship. It was just part of life - a part that I enjoyed for what it offered as I enjoyed summer for what it offered. I did, however, take it for granted....and didn't begin to understand how I would miss it so after moving out here to the Bay Area.

Fall - a real fall, not the anti-fall that we have here - and winter are blessings and rewards for enduring the oppression that is summer heat. If some day I'm a Boisian, I will endure the summers so that I can enjoy the winters. Same as I did in KC.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
My winter resume includes....
  • 5 years in Buffalo
  • 5 years in Chicago
  • 6 years in Coon Rapids, MN
  • 3 years in Rochester, NY
  • 2 years in Albany
  • 5 years in Omaha
  • 13 years in Kansas City Metro
Never in all those years did I ever feel that winter was any kind of hardship. It was just part of life - a part that I enjoyed for what it offered as I enjoyed summer for what it offered. I did, however, take it for granted....and didn't begin to understand how I would miss it so after moving out here to the Bay Area.

Fall - a real fall, not the anti-fall that we have here - and winter are blessings and rewards for enduring the oppression that is summer heat. If some day I'm a Boisian, I will endure the summers so that I can enjoy the winters. Same as I did in KC.
LOL, my cousin tells me I should move to their State, that the winters are becoming more mild, and that thousands of people live in that type cold and love it. Won't say where they live, but no thanks, too wet, dark, damp and cold for me, and the high humidity of Summer wouldn't make me a happy camper either. Been there enough to know that much. Beautiful area, but pretty sure I wouldn't be happy there long-term.

That's one of the reasons Idaho (at least the SW portion) was on my radar list for so long; seasons, but tolerable seasons. The ability to escape (fairly easily) any inclement weather if I wanted to.

Today I've been working in the yard, and LOVING it! Coming in every hour or so to grab another cup of hot tea and right back out again. But, looking forward to having a break from gardening too when Winter really hits. Must be I'm getting old.

I hope you make it here someday CV!!

Old 11-03-2015, 02:56 PM

88 posts, read 213,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Mike, I'll take the hot (and long) days over the short and cold ones any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Mostly, I just get frustrated because my kayaking (and frankly, any outdoor activity) is now limited to the weekends, and even the daily chores are complicated by the darkness. Ever try keeping up with picking up the dog crap in the backyard when it's frozen, snowy, and dark? Hard to do every day. I get bored being stuck in the house after work for months on end. Only so much work to do in the shop or gym visits I can make.

I guess I'll just have to spend more time on here.
If you truly want to discourage people from moving to Boise you might want to ommit the mention of the ability to do outdoor activities during the work week LOL!

My work-week activities currently consist of sitting in the car for 4-5 hours and an occasional pit-stop for coffee. Unfortunately this is unaffected by the season. Good times.
On our recent Boise visit my wife must have said "I think you just passed it" a dozen times when out exploration driving. I had to reset my distance expectations. The size of the area and variety of stuff was refreshing to say the least. I could quickly see those after-work options opening up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: