Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM

33 posts, read 48,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinderutz View Post
My kids (2&3 at the time) had severe asthma due to the pollution and humidity of the East Coast and Philadelphia in particular.
They don't have any allergies but were coughing so bad that they were put on albuterol and a maintenance steroid 3 times a day...this is not the inhaler but the nebulizer....each treatment takes about 30min to administer everything so 1.5hrs daily for a 2 and a 3yo was brutal.

The doctor told us they might grow out of it or they might not and really the only thing that will make a difference is air quality.

So my wife and I started looking online for places with good air quality and overall good places for asthmatics.....Boise popped up and checked more things on our list then other places (good schools, lower cost of living, natural beauty, etc.).....we knew nothing about Boise, Idaho but for the sake of our kids we decided we wanted to know more.

We visited Boise in April 2015 and fell in love with it.....the place, the people, the scenery, everything....but there was still a big surprise in store for us.

Our kids went from 3 nebulizer treatments to none within 24hrs of landing here.....I had never seen my kids with rosy cheeks previously, they were always pale and just thought that's what the tone of their skin was....wrong, they just couldn't breathe.

I had tears in my eyes when I saw them full of energy and being able to just be kids......they could finally breathe here.

We returned to Philadelphia after 5 days and put everything for sale....the rest of the family called us crazy to just pick up and move 2,500 miles away in a place where we knew nobody....it was a long journey (took forever to sell the house in Philadelphia and at a loss, we lived with my in-laws for 3 months) and finally in September 2016 we made it to Boise once again, this time 4 one-way tickets...we were here to stay....and we haven't had a breathing problem since (knock on wood).

We used to spend $700/week in asthma medicine now it's 0(zero).....I can't believe I'm typing this, it's amazing.

No matter what happens next I feel like we already won.... my kids (now 3 & 5) are healthy and active, our quality of life has improved significantly and all 4 of us are much happier .....and healthier.

We are very lucky to be able to call this place HOME.
Kinderutz,

Man this a truly a great story and good to hear that your kids are doing well. I have 3 of my own and really am so glad that my wife decided to move to Idaho. I always wanted to come back home but as it goes "happy wife happy life". This story is great and SSSSSHHHHHHHHH don't tell everyone JK. This is why my wife finally decided to move back was because the community is great. There is nothing short of scenery really anywhere in this great state. Even if you travel outside of Idaho you have beautiful sites all around the Pacific Northwest. Saving $700 a week is insane just because of the air quality that is crazy to think. Well good to hear your story and if you do recommend people to move to Boise your story provides a nice picture of how things are in Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
We are seriously considering moving to Eagle from Southern California. Of course it will depend on a couple visits and finding the right house. We have two kids - middle school and high school. My biggest concern would be how accepting the locals are of outsiders moving in, especially from CA. Kids are well established here. My wife can work just about anywhere and has lived in multiple states. I have been in CA since a toddler, but I honestly think my mindset does not fit in with the CA attitude. I realize that it will depend on how we act, but that is a big part of why we want out of California altogether.

Job changes (mine) may be accelerating our retirement goals of getting out of CA. We have friends that have moved to Eagle and love it. It is one of the areas we are considering.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:33 PM

355 posts, read 565,540 times
Such a great story, Sully. Great read.

We made the move very recently, and haven't been here long at all yet, but LOVE it. The people have been very accepting of us (made friends with neighbors), the kids have met other kids in the neighborhood and have had lots of fun playing, and the area is just beautiful. I couldn't be happier. We still have to get through a winter, but I'm not concerned about that at all. Living someplace like North Dakota, Minnesota or Wisconsin would be more of a culture shock during a tough winter, but other than not being able to golf for a few weeks/months (depends on the winter), I'm not too concerned.

It was a great move for us and sounds like it was a great move for you also!

Old 09-03-2017, 12:40 AM

Default Eagle, Id

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntersPa View Post
We are seriously considering moving to Eagle from Southern California. Of course it will depend on a couple visits and finding the right house. We have two kids - middle school and high school. My biggest concern would be how accepting the locals are of outsiders moving in, especially from CA. Kids are well established here. My wife can work just about anywhere and has lived in multiple states. I have been in CA since a toddler, but I honestly think my mindset does not fit in with the CA attitude. I realize that it will depend on how we act, but that is a big part of why we want out of California altogether.

Job changes (mine) may be accelerating our retirement goals of getting out of CA. We have friends that have moved to Eagle and love it. It is one of the areas we are considering.
HunterPa,

You considering Eagle, this really a great selection really anywhere in the valley is going to be good. However, Eagle is going to be quiet; and not that much of a drive to downtown Boise (big city driving is nothing.) When are you planning to visit the area? I don't think your kids will have any issues meeting people here as well. I have a 9 yr old, 7 yr old, and 3 yr old they seem to meet and make friends with everyone. There is misconception of Idaho people being mean, grouchy, and rude to Californians really has gone away. Don't worry about that you are going to be just fine. I can recommend some places and also point you around the town if you would like. Bring that different mindset from Cali we will welcome it here. What is it that you do for work? I can tell you this place is growing and attracting other companies to the area as well as attracting many entrepreneurs setup shop here as well. This valley will blow your mind and your friends made a fantastic choice you'll love it like they do. HunterPa, If you need any thing at all feel free to Direct Message me. Make it a great day!

Sully

Old 09-03-2017, 12:47 AM

Default Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangjoey View Post
Such a great story, Sully. Great read.

We made the move very recently, and haven't been here long at all yet, but LOVE it. The people have been very accepting of us (made friends with neighbors), the kids have met other kids in the neighborhood and have had lots of fun playing, and the area is just beautiful. I couldn't be happier. We still have to get through a winter, but I'm not concerned about that at all. Living someplace like North Dakota, Minnesota or Wisconsin would be more of a culture shock during a tough winter, but other than not being able to golf for a few weeks/months (depends on the winter), I'm not too concerned.

It was a great move for us and sounds like it was a great move for you also!
mustangjoey,

Yeah it's a really culture shock going to the midwest from Idaho everything is different and more don't know if faster is the word. However, the weather was a bit different and took awhile to get use to (Cold was similar to that of Sun Valley maybe a little colder the humidity was brutal.) Thank goodness, I was able to have my wife decide to move back to Idaho because of the great community and safety there is here. So grateful for my wife decision because without her blessing I would not have been able to move back to Boise.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:55 PM

71 posts, read 115,990 times
[quote=SULLY THE LAND PRO;48947220]Hey Guys considering to move to Boise,

Hey Sully... Yes I am considering retiring in the Boise area. We are retired now and can't wait to get out of this miserable state of CA high desert! We are not moving for jobs...although if something is around my husbands industry of commercial/industrial construction, he would take a job. But for now, we are on SS nad pension and that has to be our grounds for consideration. i have been searching and asking all over the place.. I have found that housing is not only sparse but expensive. Meaning.. there are few houses for sale and they sell FAST and for a high price...supply and demand,you know! Could I ask you a few questions?

What are you thoughts about living outside the city...like maybe 1/2 hour drive out? What towns are the best for us retired folks? We are not out door people, however we do enjoy visiting a gun range often. We don't like the city life, but will need to go "to town" for some things once a month or so and the rest of the time..what is in the small city will be just fine (grocery, maybe a Walmart or other smaller shopping area) Where I am now.. this town is small but as long as I have the general things...grocery, hardware store, target..things like that... within about 20-30 minutes, I am fine. I am looking for a 3 bedroom (possibly 4) 2 bath, 2 car garage, RV parking for personal RV and a little property so I am not looking out my bedroom window...and into the neighbors bedroom window! I am selling my house here.

We were thinking of buying a RV to live in until we find a house....are there any good RV parks in the area? I have researched this too and although the web site says/shows they are wonderful...in "real life" they aren't that nice! What's around the Boise area?

What about medical facilities? I have not found that Boise has much in the way of major medical. Yes, doctors and maybe urgent cares and such, but what about major surgery hospitals? Being old...we feel we should have a good hospital within some reasonable driving distance!

What about property taxes? They are very low were I am at, but so many other places I have reserach to relocate to... they property taxes are off the charts! Texas is so high, I can afford the house, but not the taxes! AZ is the same way. Also...HOA...I do not want to deal with HOA and someone telling me how I have to have my house painted or what I can or can't plant in my front yard....ergo another reason i want to be on the outskirts of town! But I have found HOA is all the rage in cities now. And not only what htey do...but what they charge. $200 a month is ridiculous! That is like adding $200 to your mortgage payment...plus the property taxes!

And you might not be able to answer these, but I figure I'll let you decide... any info you can share on gas prices, grocery prices, home owners insurance and car license/registration....would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much Sully for ANYTHING you can share to help me make this decision!

Old 09-04-2017, 10:17 PM

215 posts, read 259,298 times
It's a little strange that you keep asking these same questions on this forum. You have not responded to answers to your previous posts or the direct messages offering help. Both my husband and I have responded to you and then you seem to disappear.

So just curious if you are for real . . .

Old 09-04-2017, 10:42 PM

Default What to expect here in BOISE

[quote=coffeebreakwhatever;49417829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY THE LAND PRO View Post
Hey Guys considering to move to Boise,

Hey Sully... Yes I am considering retiring in the Boise area. We are retired now and can't wait to get out of this miserable state of CA high desert! We are not moving for jobs...although if something is around my husbands industry of commercial/industrial construction, he would take a job. But for now, we are on SS nad pension and that has to be our grounds for consideration. i have been searching and asking all over the place.. I have found that housing is not only sparse but expensive. Meaning.. there are few houses for sale and they sell FAST and for a high price...supply and demand,you know! Could I ask you a few questions?

What are you thoughts about living outside the city...like maybe 1/2 hour drive out? What towns are the best for us retired folks? We are not out door people, however we do enjoy visiting a gun range often. We don't like the city life, but will need to go "to town" for some things once a month or so and the rest of the time..what is in the small city will be just fine (grocery, maybe a Walmart or other smaller shopping area) Where I am now.. this town is small but as long as I have the general things...grocery, hardware store, target..things like that... within about 20-30 minutes, I am fine. I am looking for a 3 bedroom (possibly 4) 2 bath, 2 car garage, RV parking for personal RV and a little property so I am not looking out my bedroom window...and into the neighbors bedroom window! I am selling my house here.

We were thinking of buying a RV to live in until we find a house....are there any good RV parks in the area? I have researched this too and although the web site says/shows they are wonderful...in "real life" they aren't that nice! What's around the Boise area?

What about medical facilities? I have not found that Boise has much in the way of major medical. Yes, doctors and maybe urgent cares and such, but what about major surgery hospitals? Being old...we feel we should have a good hospital within some reasonable driving distance!

What about property taxes? They are very low were I am at, but so many other places I have reserach to relocate to... they property taxes are off the charts! Texas is so high, I can afford the house, but not the taxes! AZ is the same way. Also...HOA...I do not want to deal with HOA and someone telling me how I have to have my house painted or what I can or can't plant in my front yard....ergo another reason i want to be on the outskirts of town! But I have found HOA is all the rage in cities now. And not only what htey do...but what they charge. $200 a month is ridiculous! That is like adding $200 to your mortgage payment...plus the property taxes!

And you might not be able to answer these, but I figure I'll let you decide... any info you can share on gas prices, grocery prices, home owners insurance and car license/registration....would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much Sully for ANYTHING you can share to help me make this decision!
Coffeebreakwhatever,

I will be happy to helping you out. First, I would have to agree that this market is very hot. However, if you have a REALTOR that would take a lot of the stress and frustration out of the process. So I would start searching for a REALTOR. I'm surprised that you say that the Boise area is expensive. I guess I've heard differently from my clients that have moved here from CA. But yes the house market has been on the rise.

Living out of the city is absolutely fine and would be quick to get to town. Honestly, it's funny how people here say that a drive from Nampa to Boise is unbearable drive. Living in a big city like I have done before it was not uncommon to drive 30 to 45 minutes. A drive from Nampa is at most 15 minutes maybe 20 minutes. So finding something outside the city is very doable. The cool thing that we have going for living here there are several gun ranges, you can even take your guns outside city limits on blm land and can shoot there. I generally find that some of my clients search in those cities like Nampa, Caldwell, Middleton, Kuna, Meridian, Star these areas tend to be a little less expensive you would be good looking there first. Now if these areas still seem like they are still to much like city living we could then go out to areas like Melba, Homedale, Marsing, Wilder, Notus these areas are more rural. Looking for a 3 to 4 bedroom 2 bath with 2 car garage with RV options is going to be pretty easy to find with a good size yard or acreage should not be much of a problem. I don't see that a reason why you would really need to purchase an RV just to live in until you find something. The reason why I can say that is because there is a lot of options out here. Now, if you wanted to purchase an RV and live in there are some RV parks that we have here to live in temporarily like; Boise/Meridian KOA, Ambassador RV Resort, Leah's Landing Senior RV Park 55+, Hi Valley Rv Park and many more.

As for the medical we have some great hospitals here St. Al's and St. Luke's are the two hospitals that we have here. I think that they are really good but I can't really say that for everyone. From what I know you have everything you would be able to do like major surgeries, cancer treatment, and major trauma. However, I just don't know your current situation health wise but I feel you would be in good care.

Property taxes are relatively low. My mortgage and property taxes are all wrapped into one payment in escrow. However, on about $250k house you are looking at about $2,000 which is the ada county. If we go out to areas like Nampa, Caldwell, Middleton are found in Canyon county with $250K house taxes would be about $2550 these figures are just estimates based on assumptions. I know that Idaho's property taxes is one of the lowest in the country. So there are areas that have HOA's and areas that don't have HOA's so that really is up to you. Where I live we have HOA's that total $650 a year I would like to think I live in a nice area. I know that you could get there of $200 per month but I would have to really look around to see what subdivisions would have that high of HOA's one a monthly basis.

So gas prices here are $2.20 to $2.80 maybe hits $3.00 on occasion really not bad. The groceries prices here are really reasonable for what your dollars can buy. I don't have that figure right now but know that you don't have absurd taxes. We actually have a grocery tax credit or something like that that we have I know because I have seen that while filling out my taxes. I'm trying to remember what I pay for my home owners insurance I'm thinking it is like $900 or so I may be wrong that is another thing that is taken care of by escrow company for me. I know that your license is going to maybe cost you about a $100 or so. The one thing that ALL my Californian clients have said that they were shocked at how cheap car registration is here. I think I paid like $150 dollars for a 2 year registration and like $90 for a 1 year I believe I know these figures are exact but I know that as of the last time I paid them it was around those prices. I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sully

Old 09-04-2017, 10:55 PM

Default What questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsource View Post
It's a little strange that you keep asking these same questions on this forum. You have not responded to answers to your previous posts or the direct messages offering help. Both my husband and I have responded to you and then you seem to disappear.

So just curious if you are for real . . .
Hrsource,

I'm sorry Hrsource I don't see that you have ever DM ever or your husband. I also see that this is your first time on this thread and would like to respond to anyone that post as fast as possible outside of being on vacation. I leave everything off and don't respond to things while I'm vacationing. So what is your husbands account? Just curious since I have not answered you or your husband about previous posts or the DM. So just to help you out a little bit when you are trying to respond to a post typically you click on the quote button down below: The button is specifically Reply to Quote This allows people to see that you have someone that is reaching out to you. I would love to answer anything you may have questions about?

I'm sorry that I was out of town for a little over a month. I try to respond to everyone that posts or try to DM them immediately. What's it that you are looking for? I would like to help answer any questions that you might have. I'm back and have been responding to messages that have been posted on here since I have been back. Let me know if I can assist you. Make it a great day!

Sully

Last edited by SULLY THE LAND PRO; 09-04-2017 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: needed to add more to post

Old 09-05-2017, 08:26 AM

215 posts, read 259,298 times
Sully,

My post was in response to Coffeebreakwhatever, not addressed to you. Sorry if that was confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area