Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,506,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
I have heard many horror stories about Park Place where no matter how clean a rental is left at move out, they keep your deposit. You may want to google some choices and check out reviews before you do business with anyone. I rented in 2013 upon moving here from Texas and halfway through my lease, I began receiving foreclosure notices on the front door. Reason why is because the owner had not paid his mortgage and was still able to work with the property manager to collect my rent each month. Be careful about these types of situations. I had never experienced this before. Rental property is not all that regulated in Idaho. All the best on your move.
There is actually no law against collecting rent while being behind on the mortgage. The seller still owns the house until they don't anymore. And as long as they own the house, it is legal to collect rent. But that is part of why the foreclosure notices are posted on the door, so that the occupant is aware that there is a problem. The process takes months or even years (4 months at an absolute legal minimum), so it gives the tenant time to figure out what they are going to do if the foreclosure goes through during their lease term. Unless the house is already in the foreclosure process when they sign the lease, in which case, that is fairly unethical in my opinion, but even then, still not illegal.

But your are correct that rentals are practically unregulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 06:10 PM

21 posts, read 21,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pray59 View Post
I use "My Rent LLC" to manage my rentals, they manage lots of properties, so something is likely to come up. 3611 N Locust Grove, Meridian Idaho 83646 (208) 412-8230
Thank you....much appreciated.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
I have heard many horror stories about Park Place where no matter how clean a rental is left at move out, they keep your deposit. You may want to google some choices and check out reviews before you do business with anyone. I rented in 2013 upon moving here from Texas and halfway through my lease, I began receiving foreclosure notices on the front door. Reason why is because the owner had not paid his mortgage and was still able to work with the property manager to collect my rent each month. Be careful about these types of situations. I had never experienced this before. Rental property is not all that regulated in Idaho. All the best on your move.
Good to know...thank you for your input and experience details. It's scary moving from out of state and not knowing if you will be moving into a trusted owners home.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:19 PM

[quote=Lacerta;50398003]There is actually no law against collecting rent while being behind on the mortgage. The seller still owns the house until they don't anymore. And as long as they own the house, it is legal to collect rent. But that is part of why the foreclosure notices are posted on the door, so that the occupant is aware that there is a problem. The process takes months or even years (4 months at an absolute legal minimum), so it gives the tenant time to figure out what they are going to do if the foreclosure goes through during their lease term. Unless the house is already in the foreclosure process when they sign the lease, in which case, that is fairly unethical in my opinion, but even then, still not illegal.

Correct.....I have heard of this being perfectly legal for the owner to continue to collect while still owning the home.
It's really scary moving from out of State and not knowing if the owner is forthcoming. For my family it's about stability...especially having children and not wanting to uproot them for their home and possibly schools....besides.....who can afford to move often. I was hoping maybe going through a property management company...the transaction will be transparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: