Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 06:35 PM

222 posts, read 863,728 times

Advertisements

We're seriously considering a weekend trip to Newport, OR in May. It's 500mi from Boise via Vale, Redmond, and Corvallis.

Basically, it'd be one day to get there, spend two nights, and take a day driving back. Scenic route both ways.

Have no doubts that some of you have done that. Was it well worth the drive there and back or were you too blown-out after returning to Boise?

If there's other suggestions for a weekend trip out of Boise, please let us know. A shorter trip that comes to mind is Joseph, OR and Wawona Lake.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,096,771 times
The drive through John Day, Prineville, etc. is usually easy enough. Not much traffic, straight roads. Not much to see until you get to Sisters (there are some neat areas, but not especially noteworthy for the average traveler).

It gets really pretty from Sisters to Eugene - the sage turns to forest, and the roads get really windy. I love that drive from Sisters to Eugene - my favorite I've ever been on, even better than PCH1 from Monterey to San Simeon (in a different way, though).

Some of the roads might be closed in the winter - check to see what the conditions are like in that area.

From Boise to the coast it's going to be about a 10-12 hour drive, depending. If you're thinking of making this a 4 day trip, it's well worth it. You can drive Thursday night, Friday morning, spend Friday evening there, until Monday around noon. If you're thinking about leaving on a Friday evening, making the drive during the night, spending Saturday there, and coming home Sunday, not worth it at all.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 PM

229 posts, read 707,774 times
I agree with Anchorless. U.S. 26 from Vale to Redmond isn't pleasing to the eye all of the time, but it's a lot more interesting than U.S. 20 through Burns. The advantage of U.S. 20 is that it has less twists and turns, but you're stuck watching a part of unscenic Oregon that most people in this country probably don't know about when they think "Oregon." Then taking U.S. 20 through over the Cascades to Corvallis is awesome.

If you've never been to Bend, I think it's worth the brief detour it would be from Redmond. It's a flat-out gorgeous high-desert city nestled up against the Cascades. I would chop off a limb if I could afford and find a good job there.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
The drive through John Day, Prineville, etc. is usually easy enough. Not much traffic, straight roads. Not much to see until you get to Sisters (there are some neat areas, but not especially noteworthy for the average traveler).
OR-26 doesn't get interesting until east of Brogan. The stretch from there to Austin Junction (have had lunch or desert there) and Prairie City is nice. Much better than taking I-84 to Portland. Can also drive to Baker City, and take OR-7 to Austin Junction although it takes longer.

Quote:
It gets really pretty from Sisters to Eugene - the sage turns to forest, and the roads get really windy. I love that drive from Sisters to Eugene - my favorite I've ever been on, even better than PCH1 from Monterey to San Simeon (in a different way, though).
OR-242 over McKenzie Pass is best done while eastbound thanks to the *very* tight twisties on western side. Rather go uphill than than downhill on those so as to save the brakes. Have not been on OR-126 west of McKenzie Bridge. OR-20 btw Sweet Home and the jct of OR-126 is terrific.

Quote:
Some of the roads might be closed in the winter - check to see what the conditions are like in that area.
Absolutely!

Quote:
From Boise to the coast it's going to be about a 10-12 hour drive, depending. If you're thinking of making this a 4 day trip, it's well worth it. You can drive Thursday night, Friday morning, spend Friday evening there, until Monday around noon. If you're thinking about leaving on a Friday evening, making the drive during the night, spending Saturday there, and coming home Sunday, not worth it at all.
We were thinking of departing early Friday morning, and leaving Newport around 11am that Sunday. Still, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the Oregon coast. Guess we'll wait until we can spend *3* nights there.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
I agree with Anchorless. U.S. 26 from Vale to Redmond isn't pleasing to the eye all of the time, but it's a lot more interesting than U.S. 20 through Burns. The advantage of U.S. 20 is that it has less twists and turns, but you're stuck watching a part of unscenic Oregon that most people in this country probably don't know about when they think "Oregon." Then taking U.S. 20 through over the Cascades to Corvallis is awesome.
OR-20 from Vale to Bend is one of the most boring drives around other than the all too short canyon stretch btw Harper and Drinkwater Pass. Haven't taken OR-20 btw Sweet Home and Newport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
If you've never been to Bend, I think it's worth the brief detour it would be from Redmond. It's a flat-out gorgeous high-desert city nestled up against the Cascades. I would chop off a limb if I could afford and find a good job there.
We stayed in Bend as well as in Redmond before. Bend/Redmond is too crowded and expensive these days although the view of those Three Sisters is stunning. Also, Bend/Redmond certainly do get their share of heat waves.

I like the small towns btw Wallowa and Joseph on OR-82. The Lostine Tavern in Lostine is a great spot for lunch.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:19 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,096,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
We were thinking of departing early Friday morning, and leaving Newport around 11am that Sunday. Still, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the Oregon coast. Guess we'll wait until we can spend *3* nights there.
If you left early Friday morning, like 4 or 5, you'd get there late Friday afternoon or so.

You have Friday evening to relax and recover, and you'd have an entire Saturday at your disposal. If you have to be back in the working world Monday morning, you'd likely need to leave around noon on Sunday.

It doesn't make for much free time to do it over a weekend like that. In my opinion it doesn't justify the expenses. I've done weekend Portland trips many, many times when I was younger, when I drove faster and longer, and slept less.

I think it's worth it if you can get that Monday off, and have two solid free days to spend there. Otherwise, I think there are better weekend trips from the Boise area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area