Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM

154 posts, read 992,134 times

Advertisements

Here are some pics from our recent trip to Boise. We really enjoyed our stay. You Boise residents sure are friendly! Every morning since I've been back I wake up with an insatiable craving for Goldy's Eggs Benedict.

As you can see in the last couple photos, we picked up an expected souvenir. His name is Colby, and his big brother is Jack. He's a great addition to our household and we love him dearly. (Dogs rule!)

Hopefully we'll be fortunate enough to visit your fair city again.

Enjoy....

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 01:43 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
jwaters, great pictures and thanxs for sharing! Especially love the photo of Colby-he's a keeper for sure!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:02 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
Apart from a couple pics and excluding you and your friend, it looks like a ghost town! Where is everybody?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:04 AM

154 posts, read 992,134 times
Well, to be fair, most of the pics were taken around 8-9:30 a.m. on a chilly Sunday and Monday morning. Things seemed more lively later on in the day. Most of the businesses don't open until 10-11 a.m.

What's the story w/ the Boise Tower, is this project dead? The construction site looks like it hasn't been touched in at least a year.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 AM

364 posts, read 618,196 times
Thanks for posting these. My wife and I are still trying to make plans to get up there and spend a week getting to know the area, but stupid Hurricane Ike has messed that up for a while.

Thanks again for giving us a little fore taste....

Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Wow... a bit too extensive for my computer's speed, but what I got was still a lot and very representative. You got a lot of main sites plus some general ambiance. Maybe you got one and it hadn't downloaded yet, but you'd also enjoy some drives up in the foothills that provide a view of Boise (and show why it's the City of Trees). The best views of downtown are Table Rock (over-populated at times) and up 8th St. in the North end to a dirt road. A hike up the hills at Camel's Back Park (in the Hyde Park area) will also give a great panoramic of downtown that looks out to the metro sprawl of west Boise.

Once again, though, great photos.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:52 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Another tidbit where I can't help but be proud... my dad was the PM for MK (sad story, that company...) when they did the refurbishment of the Train Depot. That was a somewhat controversial issue, but in the end I think people realized that he was helping to preserve the history instead of "remodel" it. Mostly, they just removed asbestos, treated and replaced aging wood supports, added an elevator to replace under-sized, rusty stairs that wouldn't meet current codes, and restored stuff that had been "remodeled" by the Pacific Northwest railroads. They found the old storefront and Native inscriptions around the roof, which were refurbished and are there today. My sister had her wedding in there.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,374 times
I moved from California to Boise seven years ago, after just one (business) visit to Boise. I gave up my Silicon Valley consultancy and a Palo Alto lifestyle to move here. I have never regretted it, and still enjoy this city as much as the day I first arrived here. For several years, when taking a taxi home from the Boise airport after flying back from California, I'd find myself wondering if an evacuation had been ordered while I was gone... because there are so few people out on the streets, and few cars on most roads.

If any of you are travelling to Boise, contact me and I'll recommend places for lunch/dinner/drinks or whatever! My direct email is lew.payne at gmail dot com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area