Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 PM

155 posts, read 822,225 times

Advertisements

Hi
can anyone tell me is your car insurance high there? and do you need to winertize your car for the winter? snowtires? antifreeze?
coming from Az I am a bit niave on this>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,290,014 times
Not sure about the rates over on the west side of the state, but I know mine are seriously lower than my sister's rate who live in CA.

My mechanic makes certain my radiators in the Toys can handle -50*F, we run all weather tires on vehicles with front wheel drive.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:50 AM

304 posts, read 1,431,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
Hi
can anyone tell me is your car insurance high there? and do you need to winertize your car for the winter? snowtires? antifreeze?
coming from Az I am a bit niave on this>
Car insurance isn't high at all in Boise. My parents live in AZ and their rates are much higher there than what we paid when we lived in Boise.

Regarding your car, I guess it would depend on if you plan to do a lot of road travel outside of the Boise area in the winters. We never went far outside Boise in the winters, so we never did anything special to our car. I have a friend that regularly drives to Oregon to visit family and she has snow tires on her car in the winter because she drives through some slick passes.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:46 AM

434 posts, read 3,180,102 times
I just moved to Boise from Phoenix and I am saving almost $1500 per year on car insurance with the same coverage. As far as what to do with the car in the winter all we had to do was buy an icescraper and make sure that we had new windshield wiper blades. The blades really dry out in AZ and mine fell apart trying to wipe off snow and ice the first time.

Winter in Boise is not that bad, they get worse winter weather in Flagstaff and other parts of AZ.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,851,923 times
Sent you a PM.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:28 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,510,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
I just moved to Boise from Phoenix and I am saving almost $1500 per year on car insurance with the same coverage.
I shudder to think what you were paying before. You saved as much as I pay total. I pay about $50 per month for one car with liability only and about $75 per month for full coverage on the other. That's a total of $1500 a year for 2 cars. Neither my husband or I have to drive for our jobs, other than to get to and from, so that's only for personal use, not corporate. I have no idea what those rates would be.

As a side note, from what I understand, our registration rates are significantly less than many other states as well. I just renewed my plates for 2 years for around $60.

As far as winterizing goes, I don't do anything in particular. When I have my oil changed they check my antifreeze levels, and you do have to change your windshield wipers on occasion, and make sure you have ww fluid. If you are planning to drive in the mountains, eg up to the ski hill, you would be smart to get snow tires or chains, but if you are going to be just staying in the valley, you don't need to do anything fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area