Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 01:27 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times

Advertisements

Of course, I don't have the sales statistics, but I'd bet that there are more Subaru autos sold in the northern Rocky Mountain states, (i.e., Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana), than the rest of the country combined. Not Wyoming. They go for pickups.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 01:34 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Of course, I don't have the sales statistics, but I'd bet that there are more Subaru autos sold in the northern Rocky Mountain states, (i.e., Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana), than the rest of the country combined. Not Wyoming. They go for pickups.
Thanks. I really want to refrain from getting a truck or anything with a truck suspension. I would prefer something smoother riding because of back and neck problems. Also I have heard too many negatives on this CVT auto transmission but it seems that most of these new vehicles are now coming with CVT transmissions. But perhaps AWD then FWD and lastly RWD in that order as far as drive train goes.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:42 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
Subies and Jeeps are the leaders in the Western Maryland/Deep Creek Lake/Wisp ski area!

Old 07-29-2020, 01:57 PM

33 posts, read 21,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Thanks. I really want to refrain from getting a truck or anything with a truck suspension. I would prefer something smoother riding because of back and neck problems. Also I have heard too many negatives on this CVT auto transmission but it seems that most of these new vehicles are now coming with CVT transmissions. But perhaps AWD then FWD and lastly RWD in that order as far as drive train goes.
AWD Durango w/5.7 Hemi - far and away the best large SUV and doesn't have a wonky transmission like the Subaru's. Half tons slide all over the highway - need to put a couple of bags of concrete over the rear tires in November and take them out in May. Tire chains work well - only at slow speeds / studded tires work fine - great on ice, no good on just snow. Buy some crampons to wear at the dump, otherwise you'll be on the ground looking up.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwycowboy View Post
AWD Durango w/5.7 Hemi - far and away the best large SUV and doesn't have a wonky transmission like the Subaru's. Half tons slide all over the highway - need to put a couple of bags of concrete over the rear tires in November and take them out in May. Tire chains work well - only at slow speeds / studded tires work fine - great on ice, no good on just snow. Buy some crampons to wear at the dump, otherwise you'll be on the ground looking up.
5.7 Hemi?
How about the 392 Hemi?
I still want to get my 392 Scat Pack Challenger.
But I know I will need something different than that car for adverse weather conditions and snow.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:47 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The NE US has the Rocky Mountains states beat hands down for the numbers of Subies... it is the 'new Volvo' of the NE... Now if you put WA and OR into the mix, then they have a lot.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:49 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
5.7 Hemi?
How about the 392 Hemi?
I still want to get my 392 Scat Pack Challenger.
But I know I will need something different than that car for adverse weather conditions and snow.
The new 392 or the old 392? LOL You just need to get the Challenger and have your groceries delivered at home in the winter LOLx2

Old 07-29-2020, 04:38 PM

61 posts, read 63,208 times
I drove from Alaska to San Diego in a FWD Honda Civic back in late January with no problems. The road was snow and ice covered from Alaska to Alberta.

I just looked at the road you're talking about on google maps, and it seems like it's well maintained. It's important that you have a good set of winter tires as that makes all the difference. Also, like others have suggested, AWD is preferred, but you can you definitely get by in a FWD vehicle. Just watch your speed, maintain distance, and don't make any sudden maneuvers.

Last edited by AquaTee; 07-29-2020 at 05:41 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 05:27 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
p.s. After three full winters here in North Idaho, and another partial year; I have yet to see a car or truck with tire chains of any type. They just don't seem to be used here. Have seen a some studded tires, driven by mostly older, retiree-aged folk. But most people just use their regular wheels/tires.

Might be because of the temperatures. After a snowstorm, whatever is on the highways seem to turn to slush sometime during the morning rush hour. Secondary roads turn to slush by the next day or the one after. It is the tertiary roads that seem to be iced up continually between storms. You just drive slow, don't make any sudden moves, give extra stopping distance, and things seem fine for getting around.

p.p.s. AWD for me. The RWD Mercedes diesel stays parked all winter and was given a rental FWD RAV4 when mine was rear-ended. Didn't get halfway home in a light snowstorm before I turned around to return it for an AWD.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-29-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
The new 392 or the old 392? LOL You just need to get the Challenger and have your groceries delivered at home in the winter LOLx2
Since there really isn't such a thing as the perfect vehicle that does all, mutiple vehicles are warranted here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: