Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,112 times

Advertisements

I don't plan on being homeless during the colder months. Hopefully it should be a month or two at the very most. I have a pretty good work history and should be able to find employment fairly quickly. I was hoping people could tell me about the city itself and what to expect. I am a little anxious about being given a hard time by the authorities until make that transition however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 04:09 PM

8,500 posts, read 8,794,511 times
https://www.valleyregionaltransit.org/routes/

20 routes, including intercity connections.

Perhaps there are useful links here that you may not have seen yet? https://www.google.com/search?q=bois...QCgAQHIAQjAAQE

Goodwill is hiring in Boise.
https://www.google.com/search?q=good...bs&htivrt=jobs Short-term foothold or longer.

This one is part-time. https://www.google.com/search?q=+boi...bs&htivrt=jobs

Costco stocker? https://www.google.com/search?q=+boi...bs&htivrt=jobs

Daytime drop in services?
https://corpuschristiboise.org/about-us

Less citations? https://www.idahopress.com/news/loca...4472f9dbb.html

Digital pocket guide https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ceREjpfO5MuUO7 Phone numbers, maps.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-28-2021 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-28-2021, 04:10 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemod View Post
I don't plan on being homeless during the colder months. Hopefully it should be a month or two at the very most. I have a pretty good work history and should be able to find employment fairly quickly. I was hoping people could tell me about the city itself and what to expect. I am a little anxious about being given a hard time by the authorities until make that transition however.
San Fransicko has neutral weather all year round. Right now we are in 70's predicted to only go up from there. Authorities here / police will look the other way. In fact the city does have a homeless program with a budget and employees/ambassadors to help you.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:22 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Quote:
Check out summer employment at The Sun Valley Resort. They have numerous types of jobs and offer dorms for employees who cannot afford rent in the area. Sun Valley is two hours from Boise.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:42 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but I'm living in Denver and hate it. I visited Austin a few times and it's a great place to visit for single guys but the other poster is correct. It's over run with homeless people and drug addiction and it's super expensive.
Good for you for trying to figure this out!

When I was a teenager my family was homeless for about 9 months. (The apts we managed burned down and we lost our jobs and home.) We called it "camping," and lived in tents in the forest next to a trout stream about 2 miles down a dirt road until we got back on our feet.

If you are in Denver have you considered going to the mountains? There are a zillion resort towns who need all kinds of workers. Many places will hire nearly anyone who SHOWS UP, is HONEST, RELIABLE and is willing to work. Ranches need line riders (they drive pickups these days), National Parks have thousands of summer jobs, every small town is crying for (low wage) workers.

Contractors everywhere need reliable workers. Some will pick you up and you can make some good money and build a career. Look for places like pack stations, fishing camps, summer camps, that sort of thing. They often provide housing, maybe even food and access to vehicles. It can be a good life.

I suggest this rather than just changing cities. Small towns you can often WALK to work. You can camp outside town without too many hassles if you "stealth camp" and move occasionally and practice "NO IMPACT" camping (i.e. don't make/leave a mess). In most places you can disperse camp for 2 weeks on BLM or Forest Service lands, then have to move on. But if you are discrete you could do this all summer.

I'm not impressed with Boise. They ARE very anti-homeless and anti-anybody without lots of money. Boise is THE epicenter for the 9th Circuit Court ruling forcing cities to NOT arrest homeless people for simply existing if there are no shelter spaces. (I don't know how the shelter limits affect that.) This law is incumbent on ALL western states in the 9th District.

Best of luck in your quest. You CAN do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Check out summer employment at The Sun Valley Resort. They have numerous types of jobs and offer dorms for employees who cannot afford rent in the area. Sun Valley is two hours from Boise.
PS - THIS!!! This right here. We (before covid) used to stay at the SVR for a week or two week every spring. You can't ask for a better place to live or work. This is the resort where Allen Company's "billionaires conference" is held every summer.

Last edited by jamies; 04-28-2021 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-28-2021, 05:26 PM

705 posts, read 506,670 times
I strongly suggest moving to California. It’s an awesome place to be homeless. There are lots of services for the homeless to get you back on your feet. The citizens of California are very very tolerant of homeless people, same with the police. There are a lot of laws to protect the homeless in that state. The weather is mild and you could better survive outside. Try San Luis Obispo, they just built a huge homeless center.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:28 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I strongly suggest moving to California. It’s an awesome place to be homeless. There are lots of services for the homeless to get you back on your feet. The citizens of California are very very tolerant of homeless people, same with the police. There are a lot of laws to protect the homeless in that state. The weather is mild and you could better survive outside. Try San Luis Obispo, they just built a huge homeless center.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:19 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Boise doesn't necessarily want homeless people. This is why they hassle the homeless. Other posters mentioned California, and yes, that might be a better option.
Moving around (Austin/Denver/Boise/wherever) takes capitol. Hard to fathom, a homeless person with the resources to travel around like this, but whatever.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:13 AM

40 posts, read 38,544 times
California will take you in and give you benefits.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:44 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
OP, what type of work do you do? This can help everyone focus on your ultimate need, which is work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: