Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 07:08 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Half of my "neighbors" cashed out in CA and moved up here 2-4 years ago. I still think it's a thing today even with the huge spike in property values.
But those Idaho property taxes will kill you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 07:13 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Californians cashing out are a big part of it. The median home price in Boise is $575k, whereas it's $1.3M in San Francisco, $1.4M San Jose, and $1.2M in Los Angels.

While I still see a decent number of CA plates in Boise, I'm also see a lot from WA, OR, and elsewhere. Median home price in Seattle is $829k and $569 in Portland.

Median price in SLC is $590k, $560k in Denver, and $524 in Phoenix.

So folks can geoarbitrage from most CA cities, Seattle, and any number of HCOL areas and come out ahead in Boise. For other metros around the mid $500k range it's a lateral move, which is very doable for most folks.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:38 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
But those Idaho property taxes will kill you.
My property taxes here in Boundary county are a fraction of what they were in Texas. It would take a tax assessment of over $1.25-1.5m here to equal what I paid for $325k in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Californians cashing out are a big part of it. The median home price in Boise is $575k, whereas it's $1.3M in San Francisco, $1.4M San Jose, and $1.2M in Los Angels.

While I still see a decent number of CA plates in Boise, I'm also see a lot from WA, OR, and elsewhere. Median home price in Seattle is $829k and $569 in Portland.

Median price in SLC is $590k, $560k in Denver, and $524 in Phoenix.

So folks can geoarbitrage from most CA cities, Seattle, and any number of HCOL areas and come out ahead in Boise. For other metros around the mid $500k range it's a lateral move, which is very doable for most folks.
Agreed. LA and SF are the two highest areas those folks are escaping from. And it so happens to have some of the highest property values. So it all makes sense.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:50 AM

The numbers for November are in: Ada County Rebounds: First Year-Over-Year Home Price Gain Since October 2022

Nov-Dec is always a weird time for the market, so we'll have to see what happens in the 2024 spring selling season. Most existing homeowners are locked into 3% 30-year fixed rate mortgages vs. current rates of around 7%, which continues to suppress inventory. So my guess is that 2024 prices will largely depend on interest rates. If rates fall prices will probably continue to increase, whereas they will stay relatively flat if rates are flat. I don't expect mortgage rates to increase much if any.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:37 PM

661 posts, read 832,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
Do you really believe everything you read? Two homes right near me just sold for 750k. A Realtor down the street is selling homes every week.

This whole thing is good if you are buying. The Treasure Valley is like the Bay Area was many years ago. It is growing and has growth related issues.

Let's face it, as the cities further decay, Idaho will grow further. It is about supply and demand.

We need the digestion for more buyers to buy.
More or less the article was using local incomes vs prices and concluded the homes are way overpriced compared to the local income levels. Does not necessarily mean prices will drop.

The writer probably did not account for the large equity down payments or many buyers just outright paying cash, coming from high costs areas.

San Fransico is crazy a 2-bedroom condo will sell for $1.25M, someone that bought that in 2009 for $350,000, they would have a ton of equity.

Same with Orange County in Southern California medium price is $1.1M, most that owned homes on or before 2016 have at least $500K in equity, they can pay cash in the Boise area or take out a small loan and don't need a high income to cover a $150,000 balance.

In San Fransico the park gardener for the city was making over $100K, not sure what the equivalent is in the Boise area for a city gardener? For An example.

Old 12-11-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
More or less the article was using local incomes vs prices and concluded the homes are way overpriced compared to the local income levels. Does not necessarily mean prices will drop.

The writer probably did not account for the large equity down payments or many buyers just outright paying cash, coming from high costs areas.

San Fransico is crazy a 2-bedroom condo will sell for $1.25M, someone that bought that in 2009 for $350,000, they would have a ton of equity.

Same with Orange County in Southern California medium price is $1.1M, most that owned homes on or before 2016 have at least $500K in equity, they can pay cash in the Boise area or take out a small loan and don't need a high income to cover a $150,000 balance.

In San Fransico the park gardener for the city was making over $100K, not sure what the equivalent is in the Boise area for a city gardener? For An example.
I think part of the problem is that income data lags housing data. Lots of people with high incomes moved to Boise within a relatively short amount of time, which drove up current RE prices, yet these higher incomes didn't appear in the data right away.

The Boise median household income for families of 4 is around $100k (https://www.cityofboise.org/departme...me-guidelines/) with a median home price of around $500k.

Boise's median income is around the same as the median household income of California, but California's median home prices is much higher at around $800k.

Boise's median income is lower than that of San Jose ($125k), but housing in San Jose is around 3x more expensive. So San Jose has 25% higher household income, yet housing there is 300% more expensive. Yet no one is going around saying San Jose is vastly overvalued.

Old 12-11-2023, 06:09 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
I think part of the problem is that income data lags housing data. Lots of people with high incomes moved to Boise within a relatively short amount of time, which drove up current RE prices, yet these higher incomes didn't appear in the data right away.

The Boise median household income for families of 4 is around $100k (https://www.cityofboise.org/departme...me-guidelines/) with a median home price of around $500k.

Boise's median income is around the same as the median household income of California, but California's median home prices is much higher at around $800k.

Boise's median income is lower than that of San Jose ($125k), but housing in San Jose is around 3x more expensive. So San Jose has 25% higher household income, yet housing there is 300% more expensive. Yet no one is going around saying San Jose is vastly overvalued.
San Jose is a cesspool High crime, congested with traffic with a high pedestrian kill rate. Wouldn't go near that city. San Jose is overpriced.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
San Jose is a cesspool High crime, congested with traffic with a high pedestrian kill rate. Wouldn't go near that city. San Jose is overpriced.
Crime in SJ is about the national average. But yeah, you don't get much for your money there. The downtown is lacking relative to the size of the city, and the rest of the city is strip malls. Which is mostly true of the rest of the silicon valley. All this for just $2M for a small 70 year old house. And yet stuff is "worth" what people are willing to pay.

I think the national media just really really really wanted to tell a story of Zoomtowns and a boom-bust cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area