Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,952 times

Advertisements

Has Boise always had an over the top obsession with shooting off fireworks? I don't mind shooting off the occasional firecracker or two or giving my kids a sparkler, but the 4th of July in Boise resembles a war zone. I drove home last year from watching fireworks at the park and there was so much smoke that it was like driving through fog. Even the next day there was a lot of residual smoke left over from the night before.

I have lived all over the country and have never seen anything like the 4th of July in Boise. Has it always been like this in Boise for the 4th?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:19 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,818 times
Default Wow ...

Ah the irony....

I've found myself giddy with excitement and anticipation since last week when I realized that fireworks were still legal here.

They've been illegal in parts of CA and AZ since I don't know when.

I didn't realize it until my son turned 2 in AZ and I wanted to get a few sparklers and learned they were illegal. I was seriously bummed.
I loved the cone fireworks and sparklers of my youth.

I will probably feel the same way you two above do, after I experience my first 4th of July here ... but for now, I have to admit I am looking forward to seeing some of old stuff and twirling a sparkler or two myself.

Since reading your post and learning about the insanity of it all, I will be responsible and now try NOT to go hog wild.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
WAA WAA!! It's one night a year.

Honestly there are a lot of red necks in Boise. Rednecks like to blow things up. I'm not making fun, I am one.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:27 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Oh just wait till the July 4th show they put on, its is unbelievable.

Tune in your radio, and sit back and look towards downtown.. We lived on S. Jackson Street up by Morris Hill Park, and we could sit there on our lawn chairs and the cars there had the radios on to the show.. the fireworks are set to patriotic music. Oh it was fantastic!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,952 times
Was not complaining about the big fireworks show downtown or even shooting off a few bottle rockets. I was just curious to see if Boise has always been way over the top when it comes to blowing stuff up on the 4th. Like I said before, I have lived all over the country and have never seen a 4th of July like the one in Boise.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
I don't know about "always" as I've only lived here for 15 years. But every year since I've lived in my neighborhood there have been illegal fireworks set off all around me, and several houses set them off over the entire weekend. They're starting early this year, I heard some last night but I didn't get up to see if they were the illegal ones.

What is legal and illegal on the fourth of July? | News Updates | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/431005.html - broken link)

Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
Was not complaining about the big fireworks show downtown or even shooting off a few bottle rockets. I was just curious to see if Boise has always been way over the top when it comes to blowing stuff up on the 4th. Like I said before, I have lived all over the country and have never seen a 4th of July like the one in Boise.
Funny you should mentiont he neighborhood you did in an earlier post. My family live there and I usually spend the fourth with them. That neighborhood is pretty insane with illegal fire works, including us. It can be fun to look in all directions and see mortors, so many the cops can't possibly catch them all. And after years of attending, I have yet to see one fire or any other accidents.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:45 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
I'm going to guess that Boise is mild in comparison to Idaho Falls. The "noise" begins shortly after school gets out in May, gets intense the closer to the 4th and subsides in Septt.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:37 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Wink I Agree Cleosmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm going to guess that Boise is mild in comparison to Idaho Falls. The "noise" begins shortly after school gets out in May, gets intense the closer to the 4th and subsides in Septt.
Gotta say, "Amen," to that one cleosmom!!!

First, let Frank V. read the theory about Boise being larger than the celebration in Idaho Falls and he'll up the stakes next year. I was surprised he had his employees research and compare what Melaleuca sponsors against other western cities, including L.A., Seattle, San Francisco etc.

13,000 firework shells/30 minutes was his # this year, I believe. Per KPVI's math, that is 7 firework shells/second. KPVI ran a story on it. You can find it on their website to see the length of research Frank VanderSloot did to make sure the Idaho Falls show is not only the biggest in Idaho, but west of the MS. River.
NBC Newschannel 6 Where News Comes First - 4th of July Liberty Fest in Idaho Falls

Then there are all the illegal fireworks that filter in through WY for private gatherings. Someone new in my area started at 5:30 p.m. on the 3rd of July. Thank goodness no houses or major fires happened this year.

MSR

Old 07-06-2008, 06:44 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Now thats a show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: