Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best King Crimson album?
Discipline 1 25.00%
Larks' Toungues in Aspic 0 0%
Red 0 0%
In the Court of the Krimson King 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:09 AM

4 posts, read 24,077 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are knocking around the idea of moving out to Boise from Tampa. My wife is from Butte but went to the University of Montana in Missoula.

I know that every city is different but how does Boise compare to Missoula? We both love Missoula but are afraid that I won't be able to find work there. Plus, purchasing a home in Boise is still within our reach, people seem great and we love the outdoors.

I guess if someone could just comment on the differet feel of the towns.... I know the topographical differences.

Thanks in advance for any comments. Happy Easter.

- John in Tampa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 02:36 PM

17 posts, read 79,778 times
I can help! I grew up in Boise then my husband took a job in Missoula in '01. I frequently go back to Boise to see my parents. I am SO GLAD I moved out of Boise. I go back there now and between the strip-mall and the traffic------I don't know how I handled living there that long.

As far as comparing the feel of the towns? Missoula - laid back! Boise - not so much. Missoula is very, very liberal compared to Boise. It's not nearly as pretentious. In fact, as far as I know we may only have 2-3 Hummers in the area. Whereas, the last time I was in Boise I think I saw Hummer Limo's? I have the perfect word for Boise - CONSUMERISM! Is there such a word? Missoula isn't there yet - thank god!

I can honestly say the only thing I miss about Boise is the Restaurants.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:48 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,904,034 times
Comparing Boise and Missoula? One thing to remember is that Boise has a population of nearly 230,000 and Missoula has a population of around 60,000 so the size difference is a major difference. Boise has a metro of over 600,000 (according to the latest census estimates) which is probably only a couple 100,000 less than the whole state of Montana.

I guess my point is that you cannot really compare the two cities apples for apples. Both are very outdoor oriented and laid back (yes even Boise), have hippies, but Boise is going to have more of a sophisticated business climate with more $$ floating around and yes, a much more diverse restaurant and shopping scene.
I hope this helps you too.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:55 PM

341 posts, read 1,019,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abanderson View Post
As far as comparing the feel of the towns? Missoula - laid back! Boise - not so much. Missoula is very, very liberal compared to Boise. It's not nearly as pretentious.
You're saying that very, very liberal is laid back ? I dunno for sure, but that sounds like an oxymoron to me because my idea of "very, very liberal" is very,
very uptight.
And I lived for a little over a year in Boise in 1991-92 and rate it nothing less than one of the best years of my life. I totally loved Boise and almost everything about !
And I've also visited Missoula, did not live there, but visited there several times and enjoyed the area and the city very much. Dang good fishing in the area.
I think the Missoula winters are harsher, with more snow ? Some may prefer that ?

Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 24,077 times
Thanks for the feedback. I think we're Boise bound. No matter how it is, it is better than Tampa.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,213,144 times
You'll be happy with Boise. You'll still have the heat, but it will be a dry heat not humid like Tampa. Boise was just voted one of the safest places to live http://www.insurancejournal.com/news...2/05/74739.htm. Not to mention, I've got to believe that you're insurance will be a lot cheaper than Tampa. Anything in FLA has got to be sky high due to the weather risk.

Even though Boise is a growing city, you still get the feeling of a sense of community among the citizens. It is very laid back and casual. Come visit, you won't be sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: