Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Much as I have appreciated your help in the past, Torrie, I have to comment here because this post is inflammatory and unfair.

People reporting on Boise's tough job market are by no means isolated cases. As much trouble as I'm having down here, I can well imagine what it would be like in a market a small fraction of the size. I'm sorry to have to say this, but I think your profession is clouding your ability to see, or at least to acknowledge, the economic picture as it truly is.
There's nothing inflammatory about what I've said. I never said the economic condition wasn't tough, read my last paragraph again. All I'm saying is there are jobs out there and like Sage says you do what you gotta do to make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 AM

130 posts, read 428,394 times
So I'm not trying to make people feel bad because they don't have a job, sure it's tough out there, no doubt, but....I can't help but think that some are falling into the doom and gloom band wagon because it's the easy way out and it's possible it might be clouding their abilities to put their best foot forward.

This statement is condescending, no matter how you defend it. I personally have never taken the easy way out in my whole life. I worked two jobs and went to school while raising my two sons, by myself. Jobs were a lot easier to find back then.
I think that it is easier for people who are employed to paint an optimistic picture. If I lived in Boise, I would be more optimistic than I am here in the middle of nowhere, where the only job I could get was one day a week, cleaning apartments. The $30 a week I made covered my gas to get there and back. That was a real morale booster! (sarcasm)
It's all a moot point for me, though, because I'm leaving next week to go to work in WA, leaving my fiance`, my ponies and my dog behind.
How's that for gloom and doom?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
So I'm not trying to make people feel bad because they don't have a job, sure it's tough out there, no doubt, but....I can't help but think that some are falling into the doom and gloom band wagon because it's the easy way out and it's possible it might be clouding their abilities to put their best foot forward.

This statement is condescending, no matter how you defend it. I personally have never taken the easy way out in my whole life. I worked two jobs and went to school while raising my two sons, by myself. Jobs were a lot easier to find back then.
I think that it is easier for people who are employed to paint an optimistic picture. If I lived in Boise, I would be more optimistic than I am here in the middle of nowhere, where the only job I could get was one day a week, cleaning apartments. The $30 a week I made covered my gas to get there and back. That was a real morale booster! (sarcasm)
It's all a moot point for me, though, because I'm leaving next week to go to work in WA, leaving my fiance`, my ponies and my dog behind.
How's that for gloom and doom?
Just curious - what area are you moving from and how did you line up the job in WA?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:38 AM

130 posts, read 428,394 times
Moving from Central Idaho to NW Washington. I've got several interviews lined up, but I'm hoping to get a postion as a Collateral Clerk for our local bank. Failing that, I will be working for a temp agency.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 AM

Look, if anyone should be complaining- it's me, I'm a real estate agent. I've had to make adjustments just like everyone else, but feeling sorry for myself accomplishes nothing, and I don't want to make this about me.

I take a lot of time to post things on here to help people, including jobs....so when people say they've been out of work for months on end.....I don't understand if it's so bad, why they don't just take something to make ends meet to get them through this tough time. It might not be exactly what they're looking for, but you do what you have to do to survive. I'm sorry if that opinnion differs with those who are out of a job.

Greensleeves, sorry you're not in an area that offers more job opportunities, I wish you all the best in WA.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
Moving from Central Idaho to NW Washington. I've got several interviews lined up, but I'm hoping to get a postion as a Collateral Clerk for our local bank. Failing that, I will be working for a temp agency.
If it comes to that, I hope you have better luck with the temp agencies than I've had. I have come up empty so far with them as well at this is the first time I have had that experience with them.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:16 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,097 times
I gotta agree, anyone thinking a real estate agent has clouded judgement based on the economy has got it backwards, a slow economy with a slump in home sales means starvation time for a realtor without another income.

I just moved to Idaho, haven't found my "real" job yet, but am already working for crap wages 6 days a week with hours that leave me free to interview, even though those hours are rough for my kids till they get scaled back. You do what you have to do. I'm college educated and working for 6/hr while we get it sorted out.

But I also want to acknowledge the legitimacy of CrownVics experience being an older white man. That is why I suggested a company that doesn't discriminate. But if you are going to survive, you have to think outside of the box. So don't just look for a job doing what you think you know how to do, look for a job doing anything you can do. Do volunteer work where you might get experience beefing up your resume, and making contacts, and another reference. Heck, I didn't even realize while doing my latest volunteer work that I was adding a bunch of great points to my experience, but working with an AIDS agency, I got to do database and file maintenance for a confidential population while assisting with event planning and production.

My advice is take any job at all, even if it's as a dishwasher or a doorman or in a call center, just because it is good for you soul and your morale to work, and when you go to a crappy job and realize it's crappy you start to climb up again.

As for Whole Foods Market, one example of an older white man I worked with, actually 2 at the store I worked in, were older white male retired cops, with fat retirements, working there for something to do, and because they were needed, and on the floor in grocery, not in security.

Ok, that's my 2 cents.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Look, if anyone should be complaining- it's me, I'm a real estate agent. I've had to make adjustments just like everyone else, but feeling sorry for myself accomplishes nothing, and I don't want to make this about me.

I take a lot of time to post things on here to help people, including jobs....so when people say they've been out of work for months on end.....I don't understand if it's so bad, why they don't just take something to make ends meet to get them through this tough time. It might not be exactly what they're looking for, but you do what you have to do to survive. I'm sorry if that opinnion differs with those who are out of a job.

Greensleeves, sorry you're not in an area that offers more job opportunities, I wish you all the best in WA.
Torrie,

If I had been offered anything that I could make ends meet with, I would have taken it. Despite the fact that I cannot make ends meet on a retail income here, I have applied for retail sales at JC Penney, Best Buy, and Nordstrom and nothing from them either.

Again, I think my particular experience may be tougher due to my age and the demographics here, but it is tougher out there than you seem willing to admit.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I gotta agree, anyone thinking a real estate agent has clouded judgement based on the economy has got it backwards, a slow economy with a slump in home sales means starvation time for a realtor without another income.
Precisely. And that is why a realtor has an incentive to paint an unrealistically rosy picture of economic prospects. That is the point here.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Precisely. And that is why a realtor has an incentive to paint an unrealistically rosy picture of economic prospects. That is the point here.
Just so forum members know, I drove Crown Vic around for half a day showing him the Boise area. I knew he wasn't a candidate to purchase a home, but I did it because I geniunely care and tried to help out a fellow forum member.

There was no "incentive" to paint a rosy picture- I did it, because I wanted to help someone who was down on his luck and needed a break.

There is nothing unrealistic about anything I've posted or said. There are jobs out there- I just posted several potential leads today. I have clients in town tomorrow that were able to score a job and are moving to Boise. What I offer is hope and resources for people to use, I have absolutely no control over what goes on in the economy; Idaho's economy has been solid for the past 20years until now- you can pull the links to see for yourself- I've posted them on the forum more than once.

This is the thanks I get for helping someone out. Disappointing to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area