Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 AM

14 posts, read 31,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbercutes824 View Post
I have gone through 2 different temp agencies and my husband has gone through 2. I went through Personnel Plus and Volt and my husband went through Volt and Adecco (Adecco a long time ago). We both have had good experiences with all of the agencies.
For Volt and Personnel Plus, they were for call center jobs. If you really need a job, I would recommend going through those.
Manpower or Manpower Professional, and Westaff. I worked at HP in Boise through Manpower Professional for 3 years and the pay was good for hourly, hours good and the work interesting enough and Manpower boss was good and pay always on time and correct....

Westaff, there are some good positions on their website now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,275 times
You have a kick ass last name!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,036 times
I thought it would be easy to find a GREAT job here in S. Cal, and it turns out that Idaho has treated me much better than S. CAl EVER has. Part of this is just the overall igher quality of life in Idaho (for me), for example less commute, less stress.

I came back here just recently and now am looking to go back to Boise because I am not happy in S. California

I'm sorry things aren't working out for you in So. Cal. We are considering moving back to Calif. Tell us the good and bad.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:54 PM

14 posts, read 31,761 times
Default Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
I'm sorry things aren't working out for you in So. Cal. We are considering moving back to Calif. Tell us the good and bad.
PLL,

you could just go on the S. Cali forums here and read. For me it's atrocious costs of living - rents, long commutes which will get more costly when (not if) gas goes back up, and take up too much time, overcrowding, rude people (not all of them I know). But my opinions are specific to my lifestyle I want - still, those are some of the reasons shared by many others...

You might love it here. Where/when are you planning on moving down here? If you can buy, you certainly will be set up to do so while prices are going down

Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 AM

314 posts, read 1,217,961 times
Default Wall Street Journal Article Today--1/6/09

I have the printed copy of today's paper. It's the frontpage feature article. After reading the entire article--the one word that comes to mind--DEPRESSION. And, yes, the 8% unemployment rate for Boise is coming.

"ANUARY 6, 2009 Hard-Hit Families Finally Start Saving, Aggravating Nation's Economic Woes

more in Economy »

By KELLY EVANS

BOISE, Idaho -- Rick and Noreen Capp recently reduced their credit-card debt, opened a savings account and stopped taking their two children to restaurants. Jessica and Alan Muir have started buying children's clothes at steep markdowns, splitting bulk-food purchases with other families and gathering their firewood instead of buying it for $200 a cord.

As layoffs and store closures grip Boise, these two local families hope their newfound frugality will see them through the economic downturn. But this same thriftiness, embraced by families across the U.S., is also a major reason the downturn may not soon end. Americans, fresh off a decadeslong buying spree, are finally saving more and spending less -- just as the economy needs their dollars the most.
Usually, frugality is good for individuals and for the economy. Savings serve as a reservoir of capital that can be used to finance investment, which helps raise a nation's standard of living. But in a recession, increased saving -- or its flip side, decreased spending -- can exacerbate the economy's woes. It's what economists call the "paradox of thrift."

For the rest of the article click here
Hard-Hit Families Finally Start Saving, Aggravating Nation's Economic Woes - WSJ.com

Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 PM

238 posts, read 863,418 times
Default Another 135 jobs gone

Plexus in Nampa just layed off people.

Here's the story from KTVB (http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-jan0609-plexus.43f10095.html - broken link)

Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,388 times
Default ***

I wonder how many years this will last for ?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
Boise's job market has always been notoriously tight for most white collar career positions. These are positions with generally little turnover to begin with. You have to remember that Boise is still a relatively small market with incredible demand. There may only be a few positions in your field, and each position may have 100-200 people applying. Not to mention those that are being groomed for the position, local hires, and recent graduates from Idaho and Boise State waiting in the wings.

The reputation that Boise's market is primarily call centers and restaurant service is not unfounded. Micron, HP, MPC and other tech start ups used to hire well, as well as the real estate sector, but these fields are all but dead now.

Also, keep in mind that wages are rather low compared to most places. Cost of living is cheaper, but not much (though housing is seeming to correct itself nicely).

I had the worst time securing a job here, and I'm a life-long Boisean.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:33 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,036 times
[quote=Mtnbkrdr98;6853694]PLL,

You might love it here. Where/when are you planning on moving down here? If you can buy, you certainly will be set up to do so while prices are going down.

We are planning to move within 2 years. We are able to work home office. We are concerned about the Boise housing market and we know we probably won't make as much on our home as we would had we sold it a year ago.
We are originally from CA and we have relatives down there. We've tried and haven't been able to get back for a decade because of the cost of the homes. Now maybe we will have a chance.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 AM

364 posts, read 617,860 times
It's weird. We see none of these things in Texas. I guess the big run up in house prices is finally coming back to roost for the west coast. I'll bet you can get a great deal now on a nice house in Boise....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area