Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 AM

21 posts, read 65,354 times

Advertisements

I can't help notice the rents are lower in Nampa than Boise. Can I get anymore info about Nampa. Which is better for finding a serving job? Thanks for your help,
Bobbi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
boise... hands down..
rents are cheap in nampa because wages are lower. if you plan on living in nampa and end up working in boise (which you most likely will) you'll end up spending the difference on gas driving to boise everyday.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:28 PM

38 posts, read 105,288 times
Plus, the whole point of living in the Treasure Valley is to be located in a cool and unique environment. Nampa is indicative of every other "sprawl" type of area in the country with its rows of cookie-cutter, new homes. Sure, the rents are cheaper out there, but there are still deals galore available in some great areas of Boise. Nampa is not that much less-expensive, and when you factor in overall value, I think Boise wins out. Now is perhaps the best time in recent history to move to Boise if cost-of-living is a concern, but this only holds true if one has already found employment.

Boise is not the place to be looking for work right now, unless a person has a fat savings account, but there are more jobs in Boise than Nampa just based on size alone. Homeless numbers are increasing by the day according to the Statesman, and this is representative of a crumbling housing market and a lack of even the most menial of jobs.

I'm kind of anti-Nampa as I think most of the areas there are boring and lack any sort of character, although the downtown has a bit of charm. Nampa is still pretty far out there with respect to proximity to the region's cool entities, but Boise is one of the country's best kept secrets are far as interesting and fun towns go. I'll be moving back around the beginning of the year and I am pretty excited. But I do have writing work lined up that I can perform from anywhere with an internet connection.

gcflyfish

Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobobbi View Post
I can't help notice the rents are lower in Nampa than Boise. Can I get anymore info about Nampa. Which is better for finding a serving job? Thanks for your help,
Bobbi
Most of the unemployed people I have talked to, can not find a job even in fast food places, Nampa or Boise.
Hate to see the unemployment rate after the holidays.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:53 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Most of the unemployed people I have talked to, can not find a job even in fast food places, Nampa or Boise.
It is currently a tough life in the good old US of A if someone does not have a job, and it is no different here in Boise. There are a lot of really good jobs and high paying jobs in Boise, but the only problem is they are all taken.

If you are looking for food service jobs, there are a few new restaurants scheduled to open in downtown Boise before Christmas so keep your eyes peeled for the job adds.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM

38 posts, read 105,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Syryng,

I think there is a difference between Boise's situation in relation to other parts of the country, and the quote above is telling of that fact. There is hardly any place else you can go where finding a fast-food job is next to impossible. Boise relied on basically one industry - technology - for supporting the entire middle and middle/upper class. Now that 70% of those jobs are history, there are simply far more people looking for work than there are jobs available.

In most places and during most time-periods, it was possible to just "go get a job", but not in Boise. Any job is so coveted in Boise, there is no turnover cycle. It doesn't matter who you are or how much talent you have, there are just very few spots open. I'm not trying to be overly-negative, but I am a realistic and quite perceptive. The situation is tough.

gcflyfish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area