Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Oh my, another uninformed forum troll. You assumed another forumer does not like Hispanic culture just because that forumer said there is not much culture in Canyon County? wow. You are not making much of an impression after invading the Boise subforum imo.
You think there is more going on at 12th Street in I assume Nampa or Caldwell then all of Boise? wow. You must be the type of person who really enjoys Cabelas then. I myself will stick with North Face and Idaho Mountain Touring in downtown Boise.
Fair enough--two great cultural hideaways as well. You make my point. Best of luck to you. Troll? No...resident yes. Everyone is entitled to an opinion my friend. Good luck to you.

GO BRONCO's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Remember that I did use the qualifier "For lack of a better term" I can't describe what culture is, who can?

Please do not assume that I have a problem with Hispanic culture, as you so blatantly pointed out they have plenty of it. But most of us in this part of Idaho will know that this isn't exactly a culture that everyone is willing to embrace. The fossils that have lived here for 3 or 4 generations despise the Hispanic culture and see it more as a pandemic than anything. The "Culture" that existed here before is hardly what one would call culture.

As best as I can describe it I would say that culture is the arts. It's what defines a community beyond a job or an economy. It's a shared sense that makes the difference between living in a city full of strangers and living in a community. It's the difference between where you spend your life, and where you live.

I don't know how to define culture, it's not something static that can be wrapped up to a T with words.

The "culture" I speak of that Boise has and Canyon county lacks in can't be summed up any easier. I can say that Boise has more parks, that are larger and have more to offer. Boise has an art museum, a zoo An awesome downtown that people actually go to. Nampa and Caldwell don't have that, at least to the same scale. What would people go to downtown Caldwell for? There's a pseudo head shop run by a crackhead who only opens the store for a weekend every blue moon, a bank, some bars. The kings is shutting down, the Youth Ranch moved away.
Fair enough. However, I believe Canyon County is more than just Caldwell my friend. Sorry for the assumption. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:34 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
I have to agree with Tohobit on this one. Spaceman, you're just being plain mean and negative on this one, bro. Cabela's the cultural center of Boise? C'mon. What about the Boise Philharmonic and the Opera Society? Or, maybe the Little Theater? Hmm..not the highbrow type? Well, you can check out live music downtown five nights a week. Plus we get some pretty big-named bands coming through here all the time. Or maybe you're more of a sporting man? Chill out at a Steelies games. Or watch the greatest game ever played with the Boise Hawks. And next year horse racing will return to LeBois. And I'm not even gonna mention BSU sports. (Oh yeah--they also have plays and concerts at BSU.)
Or maybe your're a bookworm? We have a tremendous library system, and they, along with Barnes & Noble and Borders have writers' workshops and book clubs available free to the public.
Or maybe you just wanna enjoy the outdoors? We have a string of gorgeous parks that run right through the heart of the city, replete with hike and bike trails. Also: there are all sorts of events happening in Julia Davis and Anne Morrison on weekends during the spring and summer.
Man--you just gotta look around a little bit more; if you keep posting groundless negative claims you're gonna severely compromise your credibility on this forum.
And we wouldn't want that, would we?
Peace.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Nampa and Caldwell are in a different county

HUH?

Nampa and Caldwell are pretty much just the low rent district of the valley.

Errr...how about the Bench or Kuna? Are you serious?

Anyone who looks can see that Canyon county is the place for the poor. I'm sure I'll catch some flack for that but oh well. Any time you look in the poor part of town you'll find the criminal part of town.

Poor compared to Eagle? As far as crime goes...check out the latest FBI stats...be sure to compare Boise, Garden City and Kuna, as they are all ADA county as compared to Nampa and Caldwell from Canyon.

Pretty much the same.
Yes, Drummer...you got a point, I see creditibility runs pampant here. Apoligies.

As far as cultural things to do--you raise some outstanding points. Glad to hear you are a satisfied citizen, most from the Boise area are--as well as the residents of Canyon County.

Best of luck to you all.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Yes, Drummer...you got a point, I see creditibility runs pampant here. Apoligies.

As far as cultural things to do--you raise some outstanding points. Glad to hear you are a satisfied citizen, most from the Boise area are--as well as the residents of Canyon County.

Best of luck to you all.
What was said that offended you so? Why the need for all this attitude?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Not offended at all. Just making the point that Caldwell is part of Canyon County and the FBI does not concur with your crime anaylsis.

No attitude at all. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:26 PM

18 posts, read 65,171 times
O.K.... I think we've gotten off track from my original question. My question was really more civic minded. Let's assume based on the multitude of forums on the subject, that Nampa/Calwell are lower income, higher unemployment and have a higher crime rate. How did it get this way and why will Boise be different in 5 years. When I visited recently I enjoyed my stay. Other than a few minor annoyances everything seemed "as advertised". But it seemed that Boise may have spread too far too fast. There seems to be alot of empty sub divisions and busy strip malls but not much to continue meaningful growth. I live in Northern Ca and we have a huge meth problem. I see the devestation it brings daily. If there is a drug/crime problem in N/C then is Boise being naive in thinking that 15-20 minutes worth of driving can keep these problems at bay? Am I way off target? I think the first pages of responses to this thread captured the essence of the question.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:30 PM

Vern-

Great question. No doubt things got a little crazy 2005/6, builders got way out in front and got caught flooding the market. Should there be an up-tick soon, those subdiv's will enventually fill up. Most small/med metropolis cities have outlying areas in which there is cheaper housing...the further away from the city the cheaper the prices go.

Stopping urban annoyances will be tough, taxes, crime, drugs, traffic etc. Proper city planning and smart gov't execution of operations (schools/police/zoning) might mitigate some of the issues. Being as proactive as possible will definitely help.

I am sure you will receive a couple great theories on how to 'prevent' what you have outlined as a possibility.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:10 AM

66 posts, read 274,086 times
A lot of people who live in Canyon County like to say that it isn't as bad as people say. I have worked as a police officer extensively, in both Canyon and Ada Counties. In my opinion, the people who make the above statement do not live in the neighborhoods effected on a daily basis by gang and drug crime. The people who do generally do not speak out due to their social and economic situations.

I think what keeps Boise from experiencing some of the crime problems that are seen in Canyon County are the socio-economic facts. Canyon has long been home to a lower income immigrant community. Ada County has not. Canyon has several low-income areas populated over long periods of time by immigrants and their descendants. Ada does not. Ada County has experienced several decades of dramatic economic and industrial growth, and it's neighborhoods have reflected that. Canyon has experienced similar growth, but to a lesser extent. Many of the new residential developments in Ada in the past 20 years have been middle and upper middle class homes. Many new residential developments in Canyon have been lower middle class and low-income areas. As the low-income residents move up to the lower-middle class areas, the low-income areas are repopulated by more low-income people. Crime trends and rates tend to follow.

Canyon County is not a bad place to live, but it experiences challenges that Ada County does not. As Boise grows, the crime rate is certainly increasing. It's simply happening at a slower rate than Canyon because more of the new residents are working professionals.

Let me be clear: I do not at all believe that race or ethnicity predetermines a person's propensity to break the law. I KNOW, however, that economic circumstances do. The sore facts are, that in this area the Hispanic population tends to have a higher crime rate across the board than the rest of the community. If you doubt me, compare the jail rosters on the Ada and Canyon County Sheriff's Office websites. Then check the demographic statistics of each county at any source you choose. The facts speak for themselves.

Boise/Meridian is not Caldwell/Meridian because of simple (if politically incorrect) socio-economics.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:43 PM

18 posts, read 65,171 times
Default Great post But...

Thanks for the insight. No one has answered yet about the Boise city government though. Are they proactive about drug/crime/vandalism issues. I've read in these posts that the police are on top of it but does the city give them what they need? are city and state measures tough on these issues. This gets away from Boise a bit but does ID have the death penalty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area